New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Need help bringing an EM Bally 831-ZF back from the dead  (Read 29785 times)

Offline clk71

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • clk71 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Need help bringing an EM Bally 831-ZF back from the dead
« on: June 02, 2015, 08:59:57 AM »
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, and am hoping you can help me fix an 831 I bought on Craigslist. I have experience with arcade and pin games, but no "reel" slot experience.

The guy I bought it from said it worked for 10 years, then one day a coin must have caused a short and the transformer started cooking itself to death. Cosmetically, the machine itself is decent, with good glass and OK chrome, so I welcomed this project to my collection.

I opened it up, and indeed the transformer is burnt up. I also noticed that at some point, two of the three fuses by the transformer were bypassed. I suspect that something further along the line caused the meltdown with no fuse protection, but I'll have to fix the immediate problems before I can find out.

Can anyone help me get a transformer? The part manual online I found says it takes an E-122-105, and the number stamped on the transformer is 122-101 (not sure if there is a difference). Can anyone also help me get a couple of the fuse holders/fuses that are missing, and tell me which wires go to which one? I can't find the specific electrical wiring diagram for this machine online. I am hoping that someone has a pile of junker machines lying around that I can get parts from.

Once I put things back to normal, I can continue to troubleshoot (if necessary... maybe it will just magically work again!). I also noticed that someone wired xmas tree lights to light up the coin door reel glass window, and I am missing some kind of topper that sits in a chrome holder attached to the top of the cabinet, but those are easy things to fix.

Thanks again for any help!

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Need help bringing an EM Bally 831-ZF back from the dead
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 10:19:12 AM »

Whoever bypassed the fuses made a silly mistake. The fuses are there to protect the wiring and other parts if a short circuit occurs. When this happens without the fuse then excessive electrical current flows and can do considerable damage.

You will need to find what is causing the short circuit and get it repaired, do a good visual inspection, especially of the added wiring someone installed. Look for pinched wires or where wire insulation may have been pierced by sharp metal edges, etc. A continuity meter for checking for short circuits will be helpful. I'd be careful about just replacing the transformer and powering it up, hoping for the best. Whatever cooked the original transformer could do the same thing to the next one. I'd at least get the fuses reinstalled along with the replacement transformer so they protect it. 

That is an older power transformer, perhaps someone here will have one. Also, some of the slot dealers sometimes teardown machines and have parts like that. You can check with Rudy’s and other dealers here on the NLG homepage to see. Also, you can post a WTB (Want To Buy) ad in the classified forum. Rudy’s sometimes has items in stock that are not listed on their website so you can contact them to check. Their prices are generally pretty good if they have the item you need.

The fuseholders should be available from electronic supply places like Jameco, Mouser, and  even on ebay. A popular size is the 5x20mm style but you'd need to verify that is the size needed for your machine.

http://rudysdeals.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=transformer

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDrillDownView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&freeText=fuseholder&search_type=jamecoall

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=fuseholder+20mm&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.Xfuseholder+5x20mm.TRS1&_nkw=fuseholder+5x20mm&_sacat=0
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline clk71

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »
Thanks for the links. I checked Rudy's and didn't find a transformer, so I sent him an email. Hopefully someone on the forum has a transformer sitting around.

Yeah, can you believe someone would cut out the fuses? Dumb! I wish I knew the real story behind the machine, but it has almost 50 years of history at this point. I wonder if the guy I got it from had a problem with the machine blowing fuses and was really the person who pulled them out.

Thanks again for any and all leads on finding this transformer!

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 02:37:51 PM »
The Bally fuse holders have been known to crack and the top caps fail. Instead of replacing the fuse holders someone might just connected the wire together instead if replacing them. You can use any fuse holder that uses that size glass fuse. Have you checked on Ebay for the transformer? I have seen then for sale there before. If you can't locate a transformer let me know, I might be able to locate one.

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • Neonkiss New User barely matters.Neonkiss New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 06:34:33 PM »
Loose coins are known for shorting out machines, like the dime in your picture on the back wall.
Check around for loose change inside the machine, change the fuse holders and wire them back as they belong. I have a few transformers let me see what I have.

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 07:20:30 PM »
As Neonkiss said, loose coins are killers... People have a bad habit of laying the slot machines on there back when the move them and don't remove or empty the hoppers.. All it takes is for one coin in a wrong place to make a lot of damage..  :burningresistor: :wtf1:
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 07:24:23 PM »
email me your name address and I will send you a transformer and 3 fuse holders

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • Neonkiss New User barely matters.Neonkiss New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 03:40:55 AM »
Sorry, I do not have any that old, but looks like you have your lead on one

Offline RiseLikeRa

• Reputation Power: 62
  • RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 05:09:02 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  We are always looking for new blood.  I have learned that almost everything on a Bally EM can be fixed.  Take your time and listen to the wise ones on this forum and you cant go wrong.  Seems like you have located your parts.  Great.  If not I know a member who has 3 of every part on an EM.

Best of lock and send us more pictures of your game.

Ra

Offline clk71

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 06:53:06 AM »
You guys are great, thanks for the overwhelming help! I will let you know when the transformer and fuse holders arrive, and keep everyone posted on progress. While I wait, do you have suggestions on how to clean up the chrome on the exterior? Mine is not bad, but has some minor pitting on it.

Here is a picture of the inside of the coin door, with the "custom" Xmas light string that I have to sort out. Very creative?

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 07:30:52 AM »
Simple fix. Someone cut and taped the 110v wires for the ballast to the light string. You need to find out if you have your light sockets for the reels bulb. There should be a socket for the starter too.  The cleaner CLR works great to help with rust, then just a chrome polish
And remember...

Offline clk71

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 09:21:14 AM »
Just removed the reel light shield to take a look. Both the fluorescent bulb sockets are still there and the wiring looks unhacked, just missing the bulb. I'll head off to Home Depot later today to hopefully pick up the F6T5 c/w bulb the manual says it takes (thanks for the manual link a few posts ago!). If they don't stock it I can order it online from a ton of places for anywhere between 0.95 and 5.99 each. I'll pick up a couple new starters also... anyone know off hand which ones the game takes?

The starter is still in place with its socket, so good there. It was pretty funny when I took the light shield off. About six feet worth of bundled up Xmas lights fell out. Yeesh, the steps people will take to avoid buying a light bulb!

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 09:56:30 AM »
The starter is a FS-5 I believe. It could be the FS-2, but it should say on the package. I buy a FS-U sold on line. It a universal starter that covers many uses..  Your going to pay $5-$10 for a single bulb at Home Depot or any hardware store. I buy mine on line for a lot less, but you have to pay shipping, usually $7-$10 depending on how much you buy. I've been using 1000bulb.com for a few years and have had good luck with them.

Gary
And remember...

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 10:49:07 AM »
I'm not very good at shipping but this looks good to me

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 11:31:05 AM »
That should work, but I wouldn't put it past the USPO to figure out how to break something.
And remember...

Offline clk71

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 11:38:33 AM »
That is one good looking heart transplant! Did you get my private message with the address? Just want to make sure I sent it correctly.

I'll snap a pick of the machine and upload it tonight so you guys can see the before and after!

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 12:04:22 PM »
The EM transformers are getting harder to find. I have 3-4 for the E-Series, and I think one or two for the EM. I think my EM are the 105 version not the 101.. I'm not sure what or there is a difference is?? I have a beautiful 831 with electrical problem.. I noticed the transformer looked to have gotten hot. I have wax all over the safety timer, but most of the machines voltages check correctly? I just pushed it into the corner for a later day.
Can't wait to see if your machine comes back to life with the new parts. I just had a thought.. I remember somewhere that a bad ballast could cause a transformer to go bad. I'd be careful when you hook up that reel bulb in your machine. It might be worth buying a new light ballast while your replacing the bulb and starter. That's a common ballast and should be available where you get the bulb.
And remember...

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 12:28:49 PM »
Gary I think the difference between the 101 and the 105 transformer is the 105 has 220 and 240 volt input on it as well as 120
and if you need any transformers are other EM parts Gary let me know I recently acquired about 4 ton of parts

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 12:50:45 PM »
Holy Crap!!! I'm looking for Red Reel and feature glass for a 873 5 line 5 coin.
And remember...

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 12:59:56 PM »
For red you'll have to wait till I get to Michigan and go through I have 500 more pieces all I have here is black and blue glass

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal