New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Help! Please! IGT Slant Top HAYWIRE REEL Machine! Ending in 61? Don't know why!  (Read 5213 times)

Offline cjt4ever

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • cjt4ever New User has no influence.
  • NLG
First and foremost, I want to say thank you in advance because I know you guys on this site are very helpful to this newbie! So, here is my issue. We recently replaced the battery on the IGT and model below. We replaced the battery on the board because we were getting an error code 12. After replacing it, looks like the reels turn and change button keeps lighting but no game play. When I hit spin several times it end on number 61 and it stays there. Few things to know. My comparator light is not on. I am wondering if there is another battery that needs to be replaced or it just some procedure I am missing here. The coin slot also does not take any coin at all. I tried using the reset key but that doesn't do anything but let me go through all the numbers and it ends again at 61. I am at a lose on what to do and hoping some of you have encountered something like this before. Below are pics and model number. Thank you in advance!

Offline Zoinks

• Zoinks New User has no influence.
  • NLG
You may need a Clear and SET Chip.

http://www.newlifegames.net/igterrors/

61 Bad CMOS RAM Open door and press self test button for 2 to 3 seconds.  See 61_1.
61_1 Game data reset Close door and turn jackpot reset key.
61_2 Recoverable CMOS error Open door and press self test button for 2 to 3 seconds.  See 61_1.
61_3 Hardware malfunction Open door and press self test button for 2 to 3 seconds.  See 61_1.

Here is another thread where someone replaced a battery to clear a 12 error and got a 61 loop which they eventually resolved:
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?action=printpage;topic=16595.0

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
CJT, that 61 error code is normal after a battery change. With the 61 showing and the door open push the test button for a few seconds. The machine may ding but not always. Watch for the display to change to 61-1. Close and latch the door and turn the reset key one time. Displays should go blank and then the machine resets, the insert coin light comes on and is ready to play.

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Hopefully, you didn't turn the key trying to get rid of the "12". If you did, you most likely will have to clear and set the machine.
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Offline Shaggy

• Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Hopefully, you didn't turn the key trying to get rid of the "12". If you did, you most likely will have to clear and set the machine.

:I_agree_1:
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline BettorSlots

• Supporting Vendors
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 47
  • BettorSlots Might someday be someone...BettorSlots Might someday be someone...BettorSlots Might someday be someone...BettorSlots Might someday be someone...
    • Bettor Slots
Just turn the machine off and then turn back on...let it boot back to the 61 error.  Then open the door / hood and find the "test/reset" button near the power switch typically.  Press and continue to hold the test button until you her a "ding" and watch the display which should change from "61" to "61-1".  After that close the door / hood and wait a few moments.  If the reels spin up your good to go...or if the 61-1 error remains after you close all the doors then turn the jackpot key one time.  The game should come back up after that.

Offline cjt4ever

• NLG
Very helpful guys! I appreciate it! I am going to try everything you guys mentioned. We have a bill acceptor on it so I might just pick up a clear and set chip just in case we need it. I did hit the reset key trying to clear the 12 several times before the new battery so I will try unplugging it. Now, my question, should I just pull the plug while the machine is on or should I power it down through the power button then unplug it? Stupid question but I have to say..... one thing I am learning here is that these machines must be done by a certain process and if I do it wrong. It may not work. Oh and also, this machine doesn't have a sensor plugged in to send whether the door is open or not. Looks like it must have been bypassed or something.

Thanks again!!!

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
Just shut it off with the power switch. The optic by-pass is going to cause trouble though. The machine needs to "see" the door as open for you to be able to clear errors. From the machine's standpoint, the door is always closed. If the optics are truly by-passed, when you opened the door (while powered on) before the 12 error did the machine displays go blank and the candle start flashing (if the bulb is in)? And then all come back on after closing the door, including insert coin ? If they went off when the door was opened, the optics are working. If they are bypassed, you'll have to find the optic wiring and unplug it before pushing the test button and reconnect it before turning the reset key. You'll have to break the connection to clear the error code.

Dave

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
your not going to hurt that machine, its a computer in a cabinet with input and output devices. so it will only let you do what it is programmed to do. turning the reset key will only do certain functions, with the door closed it will put you in the book keeping mode, or reset a jackpot win.  with the door open it will scroll you through the menus.  use the on/ off switch inside the machine to turn it on and off.  when you get the machine up and running use a surge protector with a power on/off switch to apply power to the machine, that way you don't have to open and close the door. if you follow the procedure Jim  from Better Slots outlined you will be good to go.

if you cannot clear the 61_1 code and it reverts back to the 61 code then you will have to clear the machine. 

as Shaggy said you will have to determine what your machine is using for door optics, that is the most critical item on the machine, without it operating properly your machine will never work!.

picture are always helpul, we can help you determine what was done and what you have to do .

hope this helps

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
Oh and also, this machine doesn't have a sensor plugged in to send whether the door is open or not. Looks like it must have been bypassed or something.

Where specifically are you seeing that?  If you're talking about on the belly door (where your knees would touch if you were sitting in front of the machine), that's probably okay.  If it's near the latch mechanism, then that will likely create a problem in trying to clear your 61 error.  Feel free to post pictures of this bypass so we can better tell what you're talking about.

As far as getting past the 61 error, you've already gotten some good advice here.  Shaggy's first reply (Reply #2) is spot-on with the procedure.

Some other notes:

- You will need a SET chip to enable the bill validator.  However, if you can get past the common 61 error, you should be able to play with coins before then, and it's easy to enable the validator after you get the machine working.

- The light on the coin comparator is only on when the machine is ready to accept a coin.  The machine is never ready to accept a coin when the door is open.  As such, you will never see the light on.

- There is no real difference to the machine between turning the power switch off or unplugging the cord from the wall -- they both have essentially the same effect on the game.  To prevent errors, never open the door or turn the machine off/unplug it while the reels are spinning in the middle of a game.

- You will pretty much only need a RAM clear chip if you get stuck in what we call the "61 loop", where you can get the 61 to change to 61-1, but then rather than being ready to go after a turn of the jackpot reset key, it goes back to 61, and repeat.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline cjt4ever

• NLG
Ok, I don't know how to find the bypass or what it looks like or what to disconnect and connect. I uploaded some pics of the area I think they are in. Can anyone decipher where the by pass is?

Offline cjt4ever

• NLG
Top of slot

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
cjt, The top middle picture shows the cabinet optic (with the red and white wires) between the 2 screws. The last picture shows the door optic with the red and black wires running to it. They both look hooked up to me. Are you sure the latch in the middle pic. is open when the door closes and then closed afterward? As it looks now in the picture it is closed ??? unless I'm looking at it wrong. I don't have a slant top so I'm not familiar with the latch system. But I do have S+ machines.

Dave

Offline cjt4ever

• NLG
We tried pulling the door to make sure that it is latching and it is. We have a another slant top and if you see I took a picture of a white button that has no connections going to it. This is why I think it has been bypassed. I tried unplugging the optics and closing them but that did nothing. Any ideas?

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
Sounds like you're talking about a cherry switch bypass and that's possible. Those have been done. A couple of things, to check and then we go on. Knagl mentioned a belly glass door. Some of those still have optics hooked up. A place to check for broken, etc. wires. Also the bill validator (if equipped) has an optic setup if not removed and connected together. The same can be done for the belly door. Both of those sets can be cut off stripped and tied together with tape or a wire nut. I'm going to add a picture of a bypassed door optic using the cherry switch. If this is your setup, then the connection is going to have to be broken to access the test switch for the 61 error code to be cleared. Also this is an upright not a slant top. The b/v optic is on the cash can door.

Dave

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:13:54 PM by Shaggy »

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
The problem is, those optics look to be hooked up. I'd like to see a picture of the switch you are talking about, that has wiring going to it.

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
You didn't remove any chips or anything during the battery swap did you?

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
We have a another slant top and if you see I took a picture of a white button that has no connections going to it. This is why I think it has been bypassed.

Ignore that white switch.  It's not part of the optics, and isn't used to bypass anything.  It's not needed, and can be removed if you really want, but it's not hurting anything to have it there.  As shown in your pictures, you do indeed have optics installed on your machine, which is good.

I tried unplugging the optics and closing them but that did nothing. Any ideas?

What do you mean by that?  How did you close the optics?

Also, although it may be bypassed, S+ slant top machines do come equipped with a belly door switch.  While I can't see in your pictures if yours has one, I can see that your belly door is not currently installed.  To keep things simple, can you please install and latch your belly door into place when trying to get the machine working?  If you do indeed have a belly door sensor, you'll never get the machine to see the main door closed if you don't have the belly door installed.  I suspect that may be the issue here, and I strongly encourage you to try that before you start messing with attempting to bypass the optics, which I'm never a fan of.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
I missed the white switch in the picture. I think Knagl is correct and your optics are not bypassed. Do not attempt to bypass them. Was this machine working before you got the 12 error code? If so, the problem is likely the belly door. Try Knagl's suggestion and replace everything taken off during the battery change. Then try to clear the 61 error code. Let us know.

Dave

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
here we go!  first and foremost you have to understand the operation of the latching system used on slant tops! the bottom door has to be in place for the top piece to latch and allow the cabinet  optic  to be seen by the door optic.  you can operate the unit without the bottom door in place , however you have to manually  move the plate  that the bottom door being in place would cause it to occur.  as with all S+ machines upright and slant top, there is a diagnostic mode available to test the door optics.  I also noticed you have a 21 code in the window.  open the top door,  press the white test button over near the power switch, get it to the input tests  scroll down to test 13_1, this is a the door optic test, now when you close the top door and the locking latch engages with the top pin, the 1 should start to change to a zero and alternate that way as long as the door is closed. if it does not, then you have a open loop in the door optic circuit.  its usually a ground loop. there are usually some sort of mechanical switches associated with the bottom door and the bill validator that are in the loop, if these switches are not bypassed or working, the machine will not work.  get the door optics working and we can get the machine working.

Jim   
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 09:10:08 PM by Jim »

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal