New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: AVP Dynamic Button Panel Failing  (Read 7322 times)

Offline JDKMunch

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • JDKMunch Might someday be someone...JDKMunch Might someday be someone...JDKMunch Might someday be someone...JDKMunch Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
AVP Dynamic Button Panel Failing
« on: February 05, 2017, 02:13:30 PM »
My AVP started failing the other day -  Here's what's going on - I received a device offline tilt for the button panel - I rebooted and got the picture below -

the games loaded but the button panel was dark -

Where do I start trouble shooting this -

I'm trying to ascertain the failing component is it the snake? the controller ?

I don't know much about this stuff.
thanks

Offline jonm287

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • jonm287 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: AVP Dynamic Button Panel Failing
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 06:10:35 AM »
There's a few components that can go bad.  In reverse order, you've got the dynamic buttons, going to the ribbon cable, which goes to that little board mounted in the door.  From there you've got the HDMI cable running its way to a board mounted on the back of the cabinet.  That one is actually two boards, one mounted on top of the other.  That board has the HDMI, a USB and a 4 pin power connector.  Your buttons look like they don't have power.  If the USB cable were disconnected, you'd get a USB Timeout error.  If the HDMI disconnects, you'd get the firmware version number, the button position, and a letter.  Can't remember if that shows up while the hdmi is unplugged or if it shows up as soon as you plug it in.

Anyway, check your 4 pin power connector first, then the HDMI.  That cable is a common failure point for my MLD games.  It's nothing special, just a regular HDMI.

Offline JDKMunch

• JDKMunch Might someday be someone...JDKMunch Might someday be someone...JDKMunch Might someday be someone...JDKMunch Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 06:20:23 AM »
Thanks - what happens is this

the buttons turn on and show the IGT symbol - they they switch to USB Timeout  - then when the game loads they go black.

sometimes I get an error "Device Offline  - button panel"

I'll start with a new HDMI cable

Offline jonm287

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 06:36:09 AM »
That first part sounds like normal boot sequence. If the hdmi were bad you'd get the other text I mentioned above. On the board in the back of the cabinet there should be an orange light by the mini usb connector. Make sure that's not flickering if the wire is wiggled, and that the board is formulated mounted on to of the larger one. From what I'm reading I'm not suspecting the hdmi just yet.

Offline jonm287

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 06:44:14 AM »
Forgive the auto correct fails... :Tongue_Out:

Offline JDKMunch

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 02:09:28 PM »
Here's what's happening -

I replaced the hdmi cable and the machine booted up fine, button deck all light up and everything  --- however after a few hours this is the tilt that occurs -

does anyone know if this could be one button - or the controller boards or the snake cable.   

My money is on the snake

Offline JDKMunch

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 02:17:07 PM »
I have a lead - I disconnected the mini usb connecter going to the backplane from both the mini-usb and the backplane
the deck came back to life

so

Offline JDKMunch

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 02:18:18 PM »
so now i'm at

here's what could be going bad ......

controller board

cable - is it standard usb - to mini?

backplane

Offline jonm287

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 02:35:32 PM »
Yes just a normal usb cable. It plugs into the backplane.might try a different usb port on the backplane.

Offline morspeed

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • morspeed Might someday be someone...morspeed Might someday be someone...morspeed Might someday be someone...morspeed Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 09:25:55 PM »
I have had similar issues before. It was the ribbon/Flex cable that plugs into the small flex board mounted on the door. The micro connection can come loose especially from opening and closing the door. If that cable is just a little loose, weird things start to happen. Check that the micro connection is properly seated in the back of that board. You will have to remove the board from the door to do this properly. Could be a possible issue here.

Offline iramack

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • iramack Is working their way up.iramack Is working their way up.iramack Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 06:56:05 PM »
Munch,

Did you ever get this sorted out??

Steve

Offline FireballJackpot

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 122
  • FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!FireballJackpot Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 08:25:37 PM »
Just adding more info to this post....   

To check the HDMI cable, Look at the Control board mounted in the cabinet... You should see some yellow LED's lit up. The NUMBER of LED's lit should match the DIP switch setting on the little sub controller board. That information is transmitted through the HDMI cable. A missing dataline would make the DIP settings-to-LED display, not match. That DIP setting tells the control board how many Dynamic (or Edge-Lit) buttons to look for.

Hope this helps....

Offline JDKMunch

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 04:30:50 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help

That's a great tip for checking the HDMI cable - I just replaced mine without knowing that and had no different behavior.     I did however fix the problem by tracing the deck back to the USB port on the back panel and moved the usb plug into the other port and it has been working like a champ.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal