New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: I bought another toy - a THREE SLOT payphone!  (Read 5366 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
I bought another toy - a THREE SLOT payphone!
« on: June 20, 2016, 06:28:21 PM »
Well I bought another! This time, it was a three slot payphone. Actually I got about a month ago off fleabay. And I did something stooopid and bid/won this thing assuming it was complete! I didn't bother asking the seller for a picture of the INSIDE... duh! :duh:
Since it had no keys I just ASSumed it was locked but it wasn't. The phone arrived and I quickly realized the top was open and, when I looked inside there were a few sort of important parts missing, like the coin relay and hopper! Later I learned that the nickel counter and switch were gone from the upper housing as well. It did work as an extension but wouldn't dial out.
All this was posted on the classicrotaryphones.com forum and I got some great help. And, over the last month I've learned a little about hoppers (very small ones) coin relays, switches that have little pendulum coin thingys that flip and flop (okay I know nothing about those, only that I have one on my phone) and all sorts of other information. I also learned a little more on locks, those damn things! The vault door was locked and after some time I was able to drill into one of the two screws attached from the inside. I easily drilled a small hole in it and after a few seconds the screw "screwed itself" in and dropped inside, which was what was intended. However the other screw was hardened and I broke two cobalt drill bits - oops. I ended up pounding a slot in it using a centerpunch and got the screw to turn with a regular screwdriver. BUT... it bound up in the case as I realized that I had "mushroomed" the head when I pounded the slot in it. UGH! So I went to Home Depot, bought a small cutting wheel, brought it home and cut it into a much smaller cutting wheel to put on my cordless drill. I was able to shave off the mushroomed part and then cut a much deeper slot in it. That did the trick and I was able to screw that one inside. I removed the two outside screws and got the back off. Thankfully there was no lid on the coin can and I was able to squeeze it through the back. It's a VERY tight fit but it came out without any damage.  :yes:
Here's a few pictures of my "Frankenphone" upon arrival. Notice some stuff missing! I'm calling it that because it has an upper AE LBP 8255 and lower Gray case. It was advertised as a Gray, but the guy didn't say anything about the top being AE. And, my fault for not asking...
More to come...
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: I bought another toy - a THREE SLOT payphone!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:35:11 PM »
Looks good, glad you're in the phone biz. Can you hear me now????

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 07:49:12 PM »
Next is my "modified" cutting wheel that was able to shave around the mushroomed screw bottom, as well as cut a nice deep slit... wait... SLOT... in it.
Once I got those darn screws off, the housing came away from the back and I was able to get the coin can out. If a lid had been on it, I would have had to "surgically remove" the can since it wouldn't all fit. BUT... no lid! So it slid out, but it's a very tight fit! (Oh I could add something funny here, but I'll keep it PG). I sprayed a bit of WD40 and it came out with no damage.
Once I got that out, I removed the poor keyless expensive lock!
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 08:15:12 PM »
I bought a 29s key thinking the lock would work but the keyhead thing was sort of floating. I removed that lock and saw it had the rivets filed off. I tried to take the top off. It came off and all the parts exploded on the work bench. There actually weren't that many parts. I thought it had been modified to be a "dummy" lock but I realized it wasn't. It had all it's proper weird looking parts. With help from Google, I found one picture of that lock with it's top off. I was able piece mine together and it worked. I super glued the top on and now it seems fine, so far. The lower 10L lock is a different story. Expensive lock. I don't quite understand about why aftermarket key blanks are not to be found (or re-made) but they are. One of the very knowledgeable had been walking me through all this stuff (wiring, explaination, etc) just told me to send him my lock and he'd "make it work." A week later I get a rebuilt lock, with the proper original key as well.
Locks are in and work. Phone dials out and audio is all good. Soon as I want to put out the $$$, I'll buy the coin controller and then see how it works as a real pay phone.  :yes:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 08:24:22 PM »
Finally - the finished phone.

Offline Shaggy

• Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 09:26:15 AM »
I got mine installed today. Even hooked it up.
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 09:35:03 PM »
Looks great! Dang... I need to put mine somewhere, not the garage!
How is it mounted on the wall? Just find the studs I assume?

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 07:11:06 AM »
Looks great! Dang... I need to put mine somewhere, not the garage!
How is it mounted on the wall? Just find the studs I assume?

The right side (facing) the 2 screws are in the stud. They have large tapered head holes so you can use a big screw. The left side I used the self drilling sheetrock anchors from Lowes. I got the biggest ones I could find. They're advertised to hold like 79#. They work really good.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 07:55:27 PM »
Mounted! I actually had no place on any wall in the room so it's screwed into a sturdy wooden cabinet. This one's not going to come off!

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 10:20:22 PM »
I have a "cell-fusion" device that connects my iphone via bluetooth to both  my AE payphone and my WE 304 desk phone. The device was intended to use your land line phones as a satellite cell phone, but I left the land line part out. However, I tied in an A B switch so I can connect both antique phones to either the land line (A),  or to ring when my cell rings (B). When I'm on the A line, the landline, I can dial out on both which is fun! On the B side, I can only receive, but it's fun to hear the ring on my WE since it does a double ring. (The payphone has no ringer) Unfortunately, I can't dial on my old phones with the cellular line. But I like my creative idea and it gives new life to old phones! Haven't I heard that "line" somewhere?  :Scratch-Head:

Had to add my final shot... added a picture to cover over a sticker that I removed and added a cover for my line wire.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:20:34 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 09:21:26 AM »
No one even noticed my cool desk phone and the Underwood typewriter...
 :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal