New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Spectrum Progressive Display (960 board)  (Read 4393 times)

Offline mcwTexas

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • mcwTexas New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Spectrum Progressive Display (960 board)
« on: November 20, 2017, 09:16:12 PM »
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a spectrum progressive display unit (960 board) for my IGT S2000 Slot machine and I'm trying to figure out how to physically set it up.  Later I may need help programming it.  Does anyone have experience with these things?   

I came across a previous thread (see URL below) where Qbert was trying to help another member with his unit but I didn't ever see resolution to the topic - so I'm renewing the call for help.  http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=15927.0 In this thread, it was suggested that the only piece needed was the actual display board and not the "secondary board" but it looks like both pieces are needed because the display is connected to the secondary board via a ribbon cable.  Since I'm new, I didn't want to simply start blindly plugging in new wires/connectors to my working machine.

I'm attaching a picture of what I purchased.  I have other pics I can provide if it will help. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:17:31 AM by qbert »

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Spectrum Progressive Display (960 board)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 06:07:22 AM »
I will help you as best I can but that 960 is not a spectrum that most of us are familiar with.

On the link you attached I told fordf150 he had a mixed bag of pictures/parts and the only part he needed was the last of the 5 pictures. That is the complete unit totally self contained. Yours does not look like that. The 960 is not one I am familiar with. I'm not sure we can get it working properly. Better pictures needed at a minimum. Better yet to get the proper spectrum unit.

I believe I asked you to send me the link before you purchased to confirm you had the correct unit.
Rich

If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 10:50:37 AM »
Here is an ebay link to one.
I have no idea who the seller is or have anything to do with him but that would be the unit you are looking for.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/IGT-S2000-Slot-Machine-CDS-Progressive-Meter-Complete-Easy-Programming-PNP/372122185747?hash=item56a435f013:g:ZHIAAOxyDo1TjyvJ
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline mcwTexas

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »
Darn it.  I actually saw that one but because it was labeled CDS instead of Spectrum I thought it was something different. I was actually communicating with that seller about it and he is actually the one I bought the other unit from- specifically because it was labeled Spectrum. I'll be happy to reach back out and get that unit if it is the one that is more common and easier setup and programming though.

One last comment too. I recall the seller saying it had the SDF 104 chip in it. From what I interpreted from other posts, to do color changing LEDs I should  go for SDF 100 chip.  Not sure if I'm right or not but that's why I didn't buy that one.

Offline mcwTexas

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 11:40:35 AM »

Hi Qbert,

I received my spectrum display today and thought I'd see how far I could get installing it without assistance.  That lasted approx. 2 minutes as I immediately noticed that I don't have the correct plugs available in any of the boards to plug the display into.  I do not have a netplex board so I saw where I need a specialized cable.  But even if I get that specialized cable, I'm not sure I have the right plugs available.  I'm attaching pics of the my spectrum unit along with the cables from it.  Also, the slot available on the board in the top back left-hand corner.

The first pic is the back of the spectrum display with wires leaving the unit. The second pic is the other end of the wires.  The third pic is of the board in my slot machine showing plugs used/available.

From what you can tell, do I need to order the cable(s)?

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 01:36:07 PM by Joeylc »

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 02:49:50 PM »
That is the correct harness for the spectrum.
You do not have a netplex board mounted to the back wall of the upper box? Picture of the top box insides please.

Offline mcwTexas

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 06:35:35 PM »
I don't have a board labeled Netplex.  I have the board in the back left-hand side flooring.  Additionally, I have a board on the back wall but it is labeled an Inline Amplifier.  And beneath the amplifier board, on the flooring,  there is another board.  See pics of all 3 boards attached.

So, looking at the two wire connectors that come from the Spectrum (a 10 prong and a 4 prong), I don't have a place to plug the 4 prong connector.  I have two possible plugs for the 10 prong. 

Michael

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 07:39:54 PM »
Nothing on the back of the top cabinet towards the center?
Where do the wires that are connected to the floor of the top cabinet go?

Offline mcwTexas

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 07:50:58 PM »
Here's a better picture showing the entire top cabinet.  Some of the wires you see laying there are not connected to anything - I just haven't taken them out because I didn't want to accidentally mess anything up.  :Scratch-Head:

Offline mcwTexas

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 08:35:57 PM »
Hi there,

Got my Netplex board, spectrum display (with 100 chip) and I'm ready to go.  Only thing is that it's not intuitive to me how to hook it up.  Looks like a couple ways it could go so I stopped and figured I'd check here on the forum.

To facilitate the conversation, I labeled the cable pins/connectors on the Netplex board with numbers and the pins/connectors on the spectrum with letters.  Hopefully this is as easy as "connect 1A together, 2B together etc..." :)

Thanks for your assistance!!
Michael

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 09:05:27 PM »
I messaged you

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 09:20:50 PM »
15 plugs into your picture  IMG_1126f.JPG
14 plugs into your picture   IMG_1126d.JPG where the plug that has a number three written on it. You need to tell me where the wires go to from that plug 3
There were two harnesses you got with the spectrum one with red wires A plugs into D. The other one with green wires with a black plug it goes under D. Both of those harnesses plug into the netplex board it does not matter which plug as long as the sockets match.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:36:28 PM by qbert »

Offline mcwTexas

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 10:23:02 AM »
Modifying this post with latest results....

Good News!  My Spectrum display is up and running and looks great!!  Special thanks to Rich for all the assistance!!!!  :hail:

For the benefit of others looking for information on setting up a Progressive display, I thought I might try to summarize this post/thread with details of my process from beginning to end along with some details I copied from other posts to bring it all together. 

1) Your game type will need to allow progressive payouts.  I can't say which games do and which games don't but consider this before heading down this path.

2) How many machines are you trying to link together for the progressive?  I am only using a single machine so details below are from that perspective.

3) There are a couple of progressive display manufacturers out there but from everything I've read on here, along with advice from other users, the Spectrum is the "easiest" to install and set up.  So everything below is based on Spectrum Progressive display.

4) Make sure you purchase the Spectrum Progressive display that is right for your machine type.  There are a minimum of 2 types of Spectrum displays out there.  One is for the S+ machines and the other is for S2000 machines.  I have an S2000 machine so my story is based on this model.

5) If you're looking for the ability to change the color or play with colors of the display, you'll need to ensure the display you purchase has the SDF 100 chip vs. the SDF 104 chip.   Chips can be swapped out if you know how.

6) I installed my Spectrum display into a Netplex board.  I'm told the Netplex board is not absolutely required but if you don't have it, you'll need special cables.  The Netplex board was inexpensive and rather simple to install.  It attaches to the back center wall of your machine with 5 screws.  Two sets of wires run from Netplex board to your machine - one to the back left panel and one to the back right panel. 

7) Now the Spectrum uses two sets of wires to hook into the Netplex board.

8) Now for the fun part...  Config the machine to work with the Spectrum.  I found the instructions here in the forums and they seemed simple enough, but it turned out to be more difficult than I thought.  I attribute this mostly though to the fact that I'm new to all this and even though I can fumble through the process of configuring the machine with guidance, it is still intimidating.

9) You need to key chip your machine.  You should know which key you need for your machine.

Key Chip Procedure
a) Turn Power Off
b) Remove MPU
c) Remove Base Chip
d) Install Key Chip
e) Install MPU
f) Turn power on
g) Wait for 2 amber LED's on the MPU
h) Turn power off/leave door open
i) Remove MPU
j) Remove key chip
k) Install base chip
l) Install MPU 
m) Turn power on and leave the door open or you get to start over at step 1
n) Make any changes you need to the key chip menus

10) Now it's time to actually config your machine.

a) You should see 7 Key Chip Config
b) Navigate to 7.3 Progressive
c) Navigate to 7.3.1 Controller Select
d) Navigate to 7.3.1.1 Game 1
e) Navigate to 7.3.1.2
f) You should see "Game 1: Denom 25c: Level 1"  My machine is single currency only set at 25c.  If yours is different then you'll see different values.
g) Navigate through the next couple of screens by hitting Spin Reels button each time and validating the values below on each screen.   Change values if needed.  I found changing the values (and keeping the new values) tricky so I recommend you go through the following screens a couple times to ensure your changes were retained.  I recommend hitting Max Bet after changing a value and then go back into the set of screens again.  If memory serves me correctly, this is what eventually worked.  Not hitting Max Bet after changing a value and instead continuing to scroll through the screens, caused my values to revert back to the previous value.
Stand Alone: Level 1
None: Disabled
SAS: Disabled
Link: Disabled
THIS IS IMPORTANT AND CAUSED ME HEADACHES!  Before you can go to the next step, the values above must be set correctly.  Otherwise, you won't be able to navigate into the next menu.
h) Navigate to 7.3.3 Stand Alone Set Up
i) Navigate to 7.3.3.1 Level 1
Each of the next 4 screens first shows you the screen, then you enter again to go into edit mode of that screen.  The Service button acts as the tab which moves you to the correct position and the Cash Out button is used to increment each number.
Limit Amount (how high do you want your progressive to go up to)
Current Amount (what the progressive amount is currently at)
Add Percentage (what percentage of the money going into the machine gets added to the jackpot)
Base Amount (what progressive resets to when jackpot is won)

11) The last step is to go into the menu 4 I/O Tests and Run 

12) Navigate to 4.3 Autoconfigure Netplex Devices

13) Run the autoconfig

14) Exit config menus by hitting Max Bet as many times as it takes to exit config prompts

15) Close the door to your machine

If all went according to plan your Spectrum should now show your progressive base amount.

Don't forget, if you want to change the colors of your display or alternate between colors, you can do so by adjusting the dip swtches on the back of the Spectrum display.  Here is what I found on other posts.  There are 2 sets of 4 dip switches.

S1
All switches off-green
Set #2 on, #1,#3 off -color changes from green to red to amber  **
set #3 on, #1,#2 off- red
set #1,#3 on #2 off - amber

**Note: Switch 2 will only do multi colors if the eprom installed is a SDF100, the SDF 104 will not allow scrolling colors (sdf100s can be programmed and installed without issues in a machine that has a 104 installed)

S2
1 - on - makes all red leds come on to see if all leds are working
2 - on - makes all orange leds come on to see if all leds are working
3 - on - makes all green leds come on to see if all leds are working
4 - does not do anything

Good Luck!!
Michael
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:43:03 PM by mcwTexas »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal