New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: NEWBIE needs OLED help...  (Read 1953 times)

Offline engeee

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • engeee New User has no influence.
  • NLG
NEWBIE needs OLED help...
« on: December 16, 2017, 06:26:24 PM »
Hi All,
I'm unsure if this is the right section to ask this or not. If not, I apologize and will repost if you'll tell me where.

I'm pretty new to all of this and I've recently purchased a WMS BB 1.5 NXT 2 machine and I'd like to update the button deck to OLED.
Is that possible? Painful? Easy?
Is there a step by step anywhere for physically installing and/or setting it up?
Things I should know - be aware of?

Help...

Thank you for any and all insight.

engeee

Offline bpracer

• NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • bpracer Is on the verge of being accepted.bpracer Is on the verge of being accepted.bpracer Is on the verge of being accepted.bpracer Is on the verge of being accepted.bpracer Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
Re: NEWBIE needs OLED help...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 07:35:25 AM »
Hi All,
I'm unsure if this is the right section to ask this or not. If not, I apologize and will repost if you'll tell me where.

I'm pretty new to all of this and I've recently purchased a WMS BB 1.5 NXT 2 machine and I'd like to update the button deck to OLED.
Is that possible? Painful? Easy?
Is there a step by step anywhere for physically installing and/or setting it up?
Things I should know - be aware of?

Help...

Thank you for any and all insight.

engeee

possible - Yes
painful - Typically not
easy - pretty straight forward however OLED panels can come with a few headaches.

physically installing is straight forward, remove the standard panel and slide in the OLED from the back side of the door.  You will however need the USB cable and a power harness for the conversion.

OLED panels receive updated firmware when the games are loaded, at times there can be issues with firmware mismatch that creates issues loading games.  There are also different generations of the panels and the parts are not always swappable between them.

Drop me a PM if you have questions!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:53:08 AM by bpracer »

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 09:50:43 AM »
The firmware issue can be avoided if certain OS cards are avoided, the biggest drawback for me is the buttons fading that inevitably happens with these things.  Even just powered off.  It's annoying as hell to turn on your machine, and all of a sudden, your button(s) is(are) really faded.  They are expensive to replace, and now being an obsolete part, harder to find.  So don't buy a spare panel, because ALL the buttons will fade and you will end up with just a spare oled backplane board and bracket.  What I typically do, is when I have enough faded buttons on both of my machines, I buy a button panel and replace buttons.  I know a a couple of years or so later, all the buttons will be faded on the spare.  This is the case with the non-splash panels,  I don't know if the new splash proof panels behave the same way.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline idesign

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 148
  • idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 12:48:55 PM »
Splash proof panels behave the same way.  I just bought OLEDs to replace them.  Not cheap though.
If it ain't broke don't mess with it.....

Offline engeee

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • engeee New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 03:09:59 PM »
Thank you all for the insights! I sure like the look of the OLED panel but it seems there are some issues to think about.

I'll keep you posted - and I'm sure I'll be asking more as I get further into this new found hobby.

Thanks!

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
  • Reputation Power: 174
  • Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!
  • "Get busy livin, or get busy dyin." -Andy Dufresne
    • Yoeddy's Slot Machine Videos
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »
I have a new splash panel and love it, but I also have the old school panels because someday this panel will die.

Jason

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and win one meellion dollars!!!

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 11:27:39 AM »
Splash proof panels behave the same way.  I just bought OLEDs to replace them.  Not cheap though.

Is there a new OLED button that doesn't fade that you used?  Or you just replaced faded buttons with new buttons of the same type?
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline idesign

• Topic Moderator
  • idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 11:36:13 AM »

Is there a new OLED button that doesn't fade that you used?  Or you just replaced faded buttons with new buttons of the same type?

Just replaced the faded ones with GEN 3 SPLASH 1.1 (small) OLED ASSY from Patriot Gaming.  Don't know if they fade like the others.  Upsets me because the 2 splash decks I had gotten from John at Rudy's Deals were brand new and 5 buttons went dark over night after less than a year.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »
Yeah same issue with me.  I had purchased a couple of spare panels a couple of years ago, and now 1/2 the buttons on the panels are nearly dark. 

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
  • Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 04:43:11 PM »
Yeah same issue with me.  I had purchased a couple of spare panels a couple of years ago, and now 1/2 the buttons on the panels are nearly dark.

That sucks.  The colored LED surround ring or the screen?  Or both? 

Jason

Offline idesign

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 04:45:06 PM »
The screen, they go bad after awhile. I hear the OLED TVs have a similar issue

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 05:00:23 PM »
So the old LED lit button panels or those with the HHSR button will work with all BB2 games right?  Looks like these OLED decks could be a short lived component for us BB2 owners.

Jason

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 10:44:38 PM »
The OLED TV's have burn in issues, but some TV's have a procedure that more or less fixes the issue.  LG calls it maintenance mode, and it automatically runs on the OLED TV's periodically to help keep the burn in away.  I've seen some samsung S2 and S3 tablets on display at Office depot and best buy that have severe burn in issues.  Both of these tablets have the Amoled screens.  They are beautiful screens, but care needs to be taken so you don't use stuff that has persistent images, like certain games have controls that never move.  Just a heads up if you have one of these devices.  The phones with Amoled screens also have the issue, especially with the control buttons at the bottom of the screen.  It remains to be seen what my iphone X will look like 3 years down the line.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal