New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: repair guide 502/504 board with varta battery damage  (Read 13884 times)

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
repair guide 502/504 board with varta battery damage
« on: April 27, 2016, 10:15:37 AM »
here is some information: 

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: repair guide 502/504 board with varta battery damage
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 10:18:24 AM »
last picture:

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline buybestslots

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 12:26:18 PM »
thanks  for info. most the ones we have  are with  open door  or key switch won't work we don't have and  idea  where these traces run

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 02:15:08 PM »
Jim, You are the MAN. I am glad I saved the bad boards and will definitely spend a rainy day messing with them. Even if I don't fix them they were already broke.
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Offline w4coj

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • w4coj New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 03:28:59 AM »
Great info Jim
Thanks
Phil

Offline Amechanic

• Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 07:28:35 PM »
Jim... Thank you so much for sharing your findings..  How did you get the boards so clean? I've used vinegar and a tooth brush, but they never come out that clean.. Maybe the vinegar I'm using is too old and lots it's punch..

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 07:02:29 AM »
Gary, there were 3 boards that I could not fix, one looked like the one pictured in reply #27, I found the problems with the traces, cleaned and repaired, however when put in the machine, it would boot, go through the initialization, but would come up with some different problems and errors. upon further investigation there was damage done to some of the legs on the IC's, the corrosion actually ate the metal from the pads. wasn't worth the time to try and repair.  I didn't even try to repair the board pictured in reply # 27. I figured that I would run into the same thing.

as for cleaning the boards, I used a shot of De-ox-it ,let it sit for a  hour, then cleaned everything with alcohol, wiped area with paper towels, put in the sun to dry.

Jim 

Signature:

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 08:59:45 AM »
Varta battery is alkali. Best to neutralize with mild vinegar solution followed by lots of water.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline Nurbo

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 42
  • Nurbo Might someday be someone...Nurbo Might someday be someone...Nurbo Might someday be someone...Nurbo Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
    • SubAudio
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 12:04:32 PM »
Hello,

How rubbish !!!  :hissyfit:

Despite all this valuable information, I have not found traces cut on my 502.

I continue my tests by testing the entire area around the green battery.

IGT S2000 - Super Spin Sizzling 7
Bally - 742 TicTacToe / 809 Multiplier / 873 5-line / Alpha S9000 / S6000 Dragon Wheel

Offline Retro tech repair

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 07:17:47 PM »
good to see progress on this problem
Hello,

How rubbish !!!  :hissyfit:

Despite all this valuable information, I have not found traces cut on my 502.

I continue my tests by testing the entire area around the green battery.
on the 3 boards i have seen with this problem none of them were trace damage but a problem with u69 2 were fixed by re flowing the chip 1 by replacing the chip with one salvaged from a board someone had an accident involving a drill.

Offline buybestslots

• buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 02:42:02 PM »
have a near mint 502  board that has a  hole brunt in the top of  u67 what would cause that and how hard is it to replace  a surface mount chip
thanks
steve

• Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 06:40:46 PM »
im terrible with surface mount soldering so im going to say for me very. I had a reflow station when i did it and it wasn't too bad currently its none functional. If u want to attempt it I suggest looking into chip quick. Also im not sure what u67 is some of the chips on the 502 board have custom programming on them and have to be replaced with parts pulled from another faulty board.

Offline buybestslots

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 07:57:27 PM »
yes I have some  bad boards  I'll try  taking one of those  chips  off 1st
thanks
 steve

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 08:58:06 PM »
Deffinetally look into chip quick its a special kind of solder for removing surface mout chips with high pin count. Basically just a low temp solder.

Offline Nurbo

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 42
  • Nurbo Might someday be someone...Nurbo Might someday be someone...Nurbo Might someday be someone...Nurbo Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
    • SubAudio
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 01:32:14 PM »
Hello,

I checked the traces of U76 - U77 - U79 - Q2 - Q3 - D8 - R74 - R76 - U82 - U83 - U84 - RP19 - RP21 - RP23 and I have not found any abnormality ...

I don't think to successfully repair this MPU !!!  :no:
IGT S2000 - Super Spin Sizzling 7
Bally - 742 TicTacToe / 809 Multiplier / 873 5-line / Alpha S9000 / S6000 Dragon Wheel

Offline puckhead

• Reputation Power: 55
  • puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.puckhead Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 05:38:05 PM »
i tried the repair on 2 boards and both now have a system error message. in the photos, one of the photos has a jumper to upper pos battery connection, and the other picture show a jumper to the lower pos battery connection. also, it looks like in one pic, its 26 and 29 on u69, but in another they look closer, like 27 and 29. a little hard to tell, with the resolution.  the only trace i found missing was battery holder to u69 but now im not sure it was really missing.

Online tjlee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 103
  • tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 02:52:07 PM »
Best way to resolder IC chips is to drag solder the pins.  Apply paste solder flux to the row of pins and apply solder to tip of soldering tool.  Heat the first pin and then drag the heated tool accross the pins to remelt the solder.  If solder mask is not damaged this should refasten the pins to the traces and you should not get solder bridges.  It takes some practice but it works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUyetZ5RtPs

Offline mikec200

• Reputation Power: 1
  • mikec200 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 09:42:16 AM »
Just had a board that took some battery damage from a battery I had been meaning to pull but hadn't gotten to it, as well as replace the coin cell battery, and had started to get low battery and dreaded typical board damage errors.  I removed the varta battery, replaced the coin cell battery, cleaned up around the varta battery, retested and errors were still there.  That is when I went up to the garage and grabbed some CRC QD electronics parts cleaner I use on automotive electronics.  The stuff is great, made for sensitive electronics, is quick drying and is easily found in any auto parts store.  I sprayed the area around where the varta use to be as well as the area below the battery, let it dry for a few mins, wiped it off to get any residue, and retested.  Errors are all gone and everything is back to normal. I'm guessing corrosion was bridging something it should not have and the CRC was able to remove it. Hope this tip can help some folks out.

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 10:23:21 AM »
That sounds great. Let us know in a week or so if it stays fixed. I have at least 5 boards with the problem just sitting waiting for a good solution.
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Offline mikec200

• Reputation Power: 1
  • mikec200 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »
Will do.  It's held for nearly a day so far and across several power cycles and some light testing both in test menus and game play.  If you have 5 boards sitting with an issue, might be worth grabbing a can and giving it a shot on one or two. I personally wouldn't mind some independent verification of it.  Can't hurt the board as the stuff is made for cleaning exactly these sorts of electronic components in what is arguably a much harsher contamination environment.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal