New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally Continental 1st reel locks into place immediately  (Read 2096 times)

Offline coincard

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • coincard New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally Continental 1st reel locks into place immediately
« on: January 26, 2018, 06:49:08 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Picked up a nice Continental at the end of the year and this thing is giving me a fit, As soon as the handle is pulled reel 1 arm advances forward immediately, with no reels in place it comes forward so hard that it comes out of the little slit groove that it rides in by about a 1/4". I have degreased lubed and checked everything, I found that the stop arm was somehow wedged under the stopper but even after I fixed that it still does it.

I have tried everything I can think of but no matter what it still does it. I will say this that when I first got this machine someone had removed the pin that holds the 2 gears on the right side in place, it seems that somehow they managed to get the handles wedged behind the roller and where trying to get the handle freed up. I put a new pin in when I got it home and lined the gears up flush tooth for tooth, is this where the problem might be ? is it kicking to soon or too late ? Any pointers much appreciated......

Dave

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Bally Continental 1st reel locks into place immediately
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 07:30:13 PM »
Dave.   

Post a picture of the gears.. I think you may be 1 tooth off? Do you have my Cell number? I had one doing something similar a while back..

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline coincard

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 07:47:17 PM »
Hey Gary,

I think I have your cell number, I might give you a call tomorrow. Here is a picture of the gear....

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 09:17:38 PM »
The gears don't look too bad. I had a latch paw somehow get out of alignment on a reel mech., causing a bind. Look at those closely. Also have you checked your side linkage adjustment to the dimensions and measurement in the service manual? Make sure all the cross shafts move freely and that the clocks in good working order.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 09:46:28 PM »
Sending images that may be helpful.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 09:57:31 PM »
In the first image above check to see if the part circled in red moves freely on the shaft. I believe it is called
“stop arm pawl”. All parts and bushings should be free to rotate and slide side to side on there jack shafts.
If this part is stuck in the trip position the reel will stop prematurely.

Offline coincard

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 07:53:44 PM »
Ok here is what I have found, after messing with it for what seems like an hour I decided to move the beau plug bar out of the way so I could get a better view. I found the problem. The stop arm that was below the stop on that reel was riding on the outside of the 2 cross arms which was causing drag. I guess when I  moved the stop arm back up on top of the stop I did not realize that it should have been between the 2 arms and not the out side, the reel now spins like it should...

Moving on to the hopper I noticed that the blue transistor ? on the coil that sits underneath the hopper on the left side had a black hole burned into it, also that coil no longer works and it is a G40 12000, did the coil go bad and burn the blue thing ? or the other way around ? any pointers as to where to get a new blue thing and a G40 12000 coil would be great, thanks for your time....

Dave

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 09:07:11 PM »
Not sure why there is a hole in the side of the Capacitor. They usually swell up and blow off the ends.
You will be looking for a 30 MDF or 30 uf axial capacitor with 250 volts dc maximum.
Jameco electronics may have them, saw some similar for around a $1.00.
The coil looks okay, but hard to tell what’s up when there is no sign of heating up.
I would re-inspect it for a severed wire between the solder joint and coil wrapper.

Off the top of my head, I would say the capacitor is there to help start the motor, but the motor is ac and the capacitor is dc. If I have time tomorrow I’ll compare to one of my machines to get a better understanding of what exactly is going on.

Offline coincard

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 09:41:39 PM »
Thanks David, I tested the coil without the capacitor and it just sort of hums, has very little pull if any which means the switches are not going to be activated with that coil, unless the capacitor has something to do with that as well. Weird that the coil has such fine wire and all the rest are like 28-1100 or such. Do you know what that stack of switches controls ?

Dave

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 09:54:08 PM »
You should be able to find that coil on EBay or just Google the numbers. You might find one on a pinball repair sight.. Try checking the coil with your meter. It looks like that capacitor may have had a bad solder connection causing it to fail, just a guess..
And remember...

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 02:50:01 PM »
That switch is part of the delay relay safety timer.
Looking at the schematic, everything is running on the 110 volt side of the transformer.
So I'm assuming that the coil operates on 110 volts as well.
BUT, before testing get another opinion as you need to be careful with the higher voltage.
Myself, I just use insulated alligator clips on a cord with a plug attached.
ALWAYS remember to be unplugged while attaching and detaching the clips. 
As for the hole in the capacitor, it might of been a natural malfunction.
Will investigate further on the capacitor.

Offline coincard

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 07:57:29 PM »
Thanks David for the information, I tested the coil with 50 volts which might explain why it looks good but does not have enough pull, at this point I am going to assume the coil is still good, I was able to find a small hoard of the exact capacitors that this one had and bought 10 of them just to have some on hand, there coming from Canada and as soon as I get them I am going to put it back together and see where I am.

One question, I did not pay attention when I took the capacitor off so I am not sure if they are directional, any input would be helpful....

Dave
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 06:28:52 AM by coincard »

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 10:10:24 PM »
The plus and minus is on the schematic. The capacitor should be marked as well.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal