New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Belly Glass  (Read 57224 times)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Belly Glass
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2014, 10:52:33 AM »

Thanks Charlie for what you did on this project to help get the "how-to" out there for others. It offers a real alternative to an old machine that wants to be brought back to life but the glass isn't readily available.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline tomstark22

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • tomstark22 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2014, 08:57:03 PM »
So by creating a vector file you can tell a laser vinyl cutter where to cut.  I did this with the black light blocking layer.  Then the laser cut out all the white areas of the black and white image This is the sticker vinyl that is used for window decals and stickers.  I t blocks the light completely where the black is and everything lines up perfect.  I saved everything in one folder so I could literally send the files to anyone and they could put them on a flash drive, take it in to kinkos and have all your artwork done.  Then get your glass and viola.  As much as I like having some original glass hopefully everyone will benefit from the process that was shared.  If I can help or answer more question or try and give more help let me know.   I plan on trying to get a few more better pics up soon.

Offline essmeier

• essmeier New User has no influence.
  • CTE
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2014, 08:11:53 AM »
I wasn't aware that Kinko's had the ability to do that.  I actually own a vinyl cutter, though it uses a blade, rather than a laser.  I use it to create stencils for repainting pinball machine cabinets, but I suppose if I used black vinyl, I could use it to create a masking layer.

Hadn't thought of that, but it would simplify things a bit.  Plus, it's something I could do at home.

We're talking about one of these:
http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-SC-Series-Vinyl-Cutter-w-Sure-Cuts-A-Lot-Pro-Design-Cut-Software

The same company sells them on eBay for quite a bit less than they charge on their Website.  HUGE learning curve to figure out the badly-documented software, for what it's worth.

Charlie

Offline tomstark22

• NLG
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2014, 10:28:45 AM »
Charlie I will email you the files tonight and you can see if they are of use to you and your system.

Offline jpduffy

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • jpduffy New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2014, 09:36:04 PM »
Very cool!  Nicely done, may have to try it on mine!

- Joe
1984 S2000  SN 22202-5

Offline Jeff99

• Jeff99 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2015, 10:14:21 PM »
  Great topic!  Thanks for all the info and suggestions.
Jeff

Offline Coos

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Coos New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2015, 11:35:31 PM »

Hi al,

read this topic and want to add something to it.

making a glass with the print between two sheets of glass is nice but there is a better way. A one-layer selfadhesive sticker You put on the backside of a sheet
of glass to make a perfect remake with no fading of colors even when there is a light is behind it and also the 'depth' of an original glass. a video of how it's done you find here
 [size=78%]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf9BhUuSSUg[/size]

it's now also possible to make a glass with the real mirror lines directly printed on the backside of the glass,

With this new technique it's possible to make a backglass that really can compete the original ones and can be made one at the time.

all the best,  Coos

Offline tomstark22

• NLG
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2015, 12:21:38 AM »
Looks impressive!  So what does it run for something like that?  My Pay glass is in sad shape.

Offline Coos

• NLG
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2015, 12:40:51 AM »
`
A top glass with the real mirror lines is 150 euro
and a one-layer foil for a belly glass is 75 euro

Coos

Offline essmeier

• CTE
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2015, 07:56:08 AM »
Technology is improving all the time.  It's all just a matter of how you want to approach it, and how much money you want to spend.  The backlit poster route is another way to go.  A few pinball guys I know have used this company to create new backglasses for their pinball machines: http://backlitposters.com/

It's still the "sandwich" technique, but it's relatively "hands off."

Any solution that produces results that satisfy you is a good one.

Charlie

Offline RiseLikeRa

• Reputation Power: 62
  • RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2015, 08:00:10 AM »
I would not mind have glasses made for some of my rarer games.

Ra

Offline Coos

• NLG
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2015, 08:09:41 AM »

Hi Charlie,

if costs are a point, You're right, the "sandwich" is cheaper but You can't compare the result.... it's like comparing apples with pears.

Also know that there are people who really want to have a mirrored glass for their machines. it's a pitty that it always about the money.

Just want people to know that the new technique is available if wanted....

Coos

Offline Jeff99

• Jeff99 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2015, 08:14:44 AM »
Really helpful.  What is the process for making the image?
Regards,
Jeff

Offline essmeier

• CTE
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2015, 08:32:56 AM »
@Coos

Please don't misunderstand; new techniques, especially those that offer real improvement, are always welcome.  Reproducing a glass with mirroring hasn't been possible before, so that's a good solution if you have a glass with mirroring.

It's not always about the money, but for some people, having a "perfect" recreation isn't all that important and they're probably not willing to pay for it or even take the time to get something that looks professional.  For them, any fast or cheap solution will be good enough.

For others, nothing short of mirroring and four-color silkscreen-on-glass will be satisfactory.

There are many different problems, many different owners, and many different solutions.  Anyone who reads this thread has access to all of them, including yours, and they can choose the method that they feel will work best for them.

The nice thing about the sandwich method, at least in terms of slot machines, is this - if you have a scanner and an inkjet printer, you can do the entire product at home.

Charlie

Offline Coos

• NLG
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »

@charlie   no, problem... I know what you mean but for myself I always try to make the best possible. And nothing beats real mirror lines when needed.

@ Jeff,   ideal would be to make a scan from the old backglass but high res. pictures is also possible. Photoshop is needed anyway...

Coos

Offline zinda

• Reputation Power: 3
  • zinda New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2016, 01:18:40 PM »
I came here knowing that I would find some useful information on making new glass for a machine that I'm customizing to be a 1 of a kind. This was right up my alley since I am already creating the design for both pieces of glass. I use a program called PAINT SHOP PRO 7 by JASC. I prefer it to any other paint or picture program ever made and i have tried and own many others. Full verisions of PhotoShop including all plug ins and video programs as well, drawing, photo edit etc..Maybe it's just because I'm used to using the PSP7 program for so many years now.

I also have a large selection of paper available from piles of special papers I have been buying over the years at thrift stores and when i saw it on sale at stores. I have some variety packs of paper that has specialty paper like clear decal vinyl sheets, plastic high res photo sheets, both matte finish and glossy as well as hundreds of glossy and matte photo paper. The plastic or vinyl photo stock is much thinner than the regular photo paper stock plus it will not discolor like a regular paper stock will. I have not checked it for luminosity yet and will do so after I post this to see what kind of light passing or blocking qualities it has

This post has solidified what i have tried in the past but has also shown a few new ideas as well. I'm curious as to how I can make hidden areas that will light when something is activated in a feature, like when the SirPrize feature is activated I have wired a light to signify this since the machine lacked that notification. I would like to be able to havean area that would light up without having a circle or spot that has a word or symbol there but rather be a SIRPRIZE to the player when this is activated. I was considering having the belly glass change colors by lighting a colored bulb and lighting a candle on top that has rings that light to show the number of spins left on that feature. I am also looking to add 2 or 3 sounds to the machine and could use advice on that also. but for now I'm looking at making the glass this week.

I have some ideas that will use diodes to signify features and Jack pot payouts, now that diodes are getting brighter and last so long they are the obvious way to go. Hidden areas could be something that might be made lighted by a row of diodes along the edge of the glass and pass the light across the entire screen, thus changing the color of the glass in front of the images as allowed by clear or blacked out areas. Also changing the color of the reel viewing areas until the feature has ended.

Anyone have any experience with this type of lighting effect?

I should add that my main reel lighting is a Black Light bulb and my reel tapes are printed in UV colors (Fluorescent) but I have made my own new reel tape with hand painted symbols using glow in the dark paints and fluorescent paints that only show up when the light is on.

The belly glass lighting is normal white light right now and that edge lighting would apply to the belly glass as well.

Any ideas are welcome, this place always seems to have some creative input and offers a vast amount of information if you know where to look. I've always shared my ideas and provided wiring diagrams for circuits I drew up. I have also made a SirPrize feature that actually works, unlike the Bally versions that I have seen published. Many times this is the only place you will find information on those rare or rarely discussed  or even known to exist topics. :thank_you:

Offline bobmueller

• Reputation Power: 2
  • bobmueller New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2017, 09:14:39 AM »

I ran across this Tangiers machine on eBay and got inspired to make my own gaff belly glass. I'm semi competent will vector graphics tools so I can create the art work. Also read something about E.I thread regarding custom glass but I can't find the thread.

I'd be taking the Tangiers logo and replacing the Bally logo from photo 2. Ideally the symbols and Tangiers fill would pass light with a stroke that matched the line on the symbols.

A second thought is to do a stardust logo... Is there a color change film or a pearl? Similar idea but stroke would glow and the fill on stardust in something sparkly and late 70's is.  From photo 3.

If I had the cash I'd bring this to coos.net but I want to try this for a few projects. Also read something about E.I thread regarding custom glass but I can't find the thread

I'm looking for some that can provide a scan of the Bally stock glass from photo 2 to start with.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:52:16 AM by bobmueller »

Offline essmeier

• CTE
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2019, 09:31:34 AM »
I recently acquired a Bally 891 Super Continental that had problems with the payout glass.  It's mostly good, but the part of the pay table for the Super Symbols had a lot of cracking and some missing paint.

As that's the part that's right at eye level when you're playing the machine, I found it distracting, so I thought I'd make a new glass.  I'd prefer to buy an original, but glass for this machine is somewhat scarce.

It was an easy but tedious Photoshop job, and with glass and a professional print, it ran about $60.  I just needed to cut out the hole for the credit counter.  I also sprayed the back piece of glass with a light coat of white primer to diffuse the light a bit.

I also found out that my local glass shop carries glass that's thinner than 1/8" - they call it "single strength," and it's used for picture frames.  I think it's 0.093" in thickness.  Works better than 1/8" glass for this job, as this payout glass has a metal frame that goes around it and two layers of 1/8" glass would make it too thick.  With the thinner glass, the finished product is close to the 3/16" thickness of the original glass.

Before and after photos attached.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2019, 09:52:21 AM »
That looks great!
I have a Bally 742 in desperate need of a glass re-do as well.
Glad you posted this. It's inspiring to know how great the results can be.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline essmeier

• CTE
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2019, 10:02:25 AM »
Thanks.  While the method of using a print in between two pieces of glass may not be the "best" method of replacing an original, it works, it's easy to do, and it's relatively cheap.  Casual observers don't know it's not a silkscreened original.

Another alternative, though it's more expensive, would be to visit a site called bgresto.com.

Their business is primarily restoring pinball glass, but they can do one-off restorations of just about any kind of silkscreened glass.  You send them your original and they work from that and either fix it or replace it, using a technique that involves using an oven to bond the artwork directly to the glass.

The tradeoff is that it's somewhat expensive ($250 or so) and can take 3-4 months for them to do the work. 

I don't have any personal experience with them, but their work is regarded well on the pinside.com pinball forum.
Charlie

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal