New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Just bought a Spectrum Dual Display part  (Read 16226 times)

Offline bigdps

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • bigdps New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Just bought a Spectrum Dual Display part
« on: April 10, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »
Hi folks,
I have searched but haven't found the easy question to my problem.
I just got a Spectrum Dual Display and the only thing it has is just the part itself.
The 9 inch display has a mii 6pin molex with nothing hooked to it.
The 16 inch below, has a straight 5 pin black connector and below it is a medium sized 6 pin molex. The part number is 25302100 Rev B and there is a sticker below the window where the SDF104 R chip is and it is written on it,
DWNLD TBSPEC
358879-400

From this info, how can I make this work on my Valhalla 044 slot machine?
I am no electronic wizard to say the least but am pretty confident to tackle just about anything.

On many of my games, I do have the possibility to write messages to go to a spectrum display as there is a diagnostic screen in the ROM section just for that. Please tell me I didn't buy this part for nothing. I don't care if it doesn't count jackpots or whatever, as long as I can display custom messages on it. :hail:

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: Just bought a Spectrum Dual Display part
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 05:55:24 PM »
Here are the cables you need, if you have the parts and can make the cables I will make a pinout post for you to follow.  The little cable that connects the two displays together is both connected and a spare is in the outside so you can see what the cable looks like.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline bigdps

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 06:29:48 PM »
Awesome Rick! I have none of the connectors but if I knew their molex part number, I'm sure I could order them from Digikey or something.
Do I need both displays or can I split them in 2 and get by with the bottom one only?

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 06:57:56 PM »
You can use just the bigger one if you want.  I will post the pin-outs later.  The connectors are all Mini-fit Jr connectors except for the 5 pin single row connector:

1 - minifit Jr 10 pin dual row with female pins
1 - minifit Jr 4 pin dual row with female pins
1 - minifit jr 2 pin with female pins
1 - minifit jr 6 pin dual row with female pins.

1 - molex SL part 50-57-9405 5 pin single row female.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline bigdps

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 06:26:47 AM »
Just to make sure before I order them, are these the right part numbers?

And what size contact terminals should I get? 18-24 ? Tin or gold?
Thanks Rick. Really appreciate your help.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 06:59:57 PM »
Those are right.  18-24 works, depends on your wire size.  For these low voltage applications I like to use 22 gauge wire.   I use 18 gauge wire for AC and higher current apps.  Tin is fine.

Offline bigdps

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 03:30:10 AM »
Awesome. I'll order the parts then we'll go from there.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 08:12:53 AM »
You will also need a crimp tool if you don't already have one for these type of connectors.

Offline bigdps

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 08:42:57 AM »
I have a few different pairs of pliers so I'll have to manage with them.
I have taken a few pictures of certain components from the top and bottom portion of my slot. Will my Spectrum attach to one of these?

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 09:04:55 AM »
Attaches to the topbox at the netplex distribution board.

The 4 pin molex connects to any of the 4 pin power connectors.  You have one free shown in your photo.
The 10 pin molex connects to any of the 2 available netplex connectors.

the 6 pin molex, the 5 pin ml connector, and the 2 pin molex go to the spectrum display

The pinouts is as shown on photo:  The 4 pin molex supplies power to the display, insert the wires as shown in pictures.

The 10 pin molex uses 5 pins that go to the black flat ML connector and the pins are as follows

5 pin ML           10-pin Molex
     1----------------3
     2----------------4
     3----------------5
     4----------------8
     5----------------9

The Molex connectors have the pins labeled, but the general rule is with the tab down looking at the connector from the back (where you insert the pins) from left to right top row 1-5 and the bottrom row 6-10 always from left to right.

Offline bigdps

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 11:35:16 AM »
So if I read correctly, from the power distribution of the 4 pin on netplex, I have to build power lines from there going to the molex that are pictured in your hand? That means all three will be connected to one plug? Just don't want to short out anything.

The pin out of the molex 10, just by curiosity, which ones a data, gnd, RD , TD and whatever else is required for data transmissions?

Hopefully I get my parts this week. I ordered them from Digikey.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 12:11:09 PM »
No, the 4 pin molex pictured connects to the power connector on the topbox connector plate.  Then those two pins go to the right side of the 6 pin molex as pictured, then the middle 2 wires connect to the 2 pin molex as pictured.  Then the 6 pin molex connects to the spectrum display and the 2 pin molex connects to the spectrum display, but not the connector next to the 6 pin molex, but the connector by itself on the top left corner of the spectrum display as show in the photos in the previous post.

Offline bigdps

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 12:39:02 PM »
I think I got ya now. As per my picture. I understand quickly when you explain for a long time!  :rotfl: :24:

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 05:33:29 PM »
You have the connections right, but out of the netplex power 4 pin molex, only 2 wires are on that connector +5v (red) and ground (black).  These two wires go to the right side of the 6 pin molex plug.  Then you wire a +5v (red) and ground (black) from the 6 pin molex plug's middle two connectors to the 2 pin molex. 

Offline bigdps

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 06:03:47 PM »
WooHoo!!!! I got my plugs and wired them as per your instructions. When I first turned it on, I had a scrolling message saying "No Data." I knew I had something good going. Then the message disappeared and my custom message scrolled across the display. My Spectrum is now live!!!!
When I play the game, it says $1000.00 on it. I assume that is the jackpot? How long does it take before it starts going up?

I thought I had the right pliers to crimp the wires but of all of the damn things, none would work. So I basically soldered them all. I also learned that fingers do a lousy job as heat sinks.

I might have to redo the 5 ML plug as there are chances the wires might touch. I'll add smaller wires just to be on the safe side.
Many thanks Rick for your help. I really didn't think I would have had this sign up and running less than 4 days after getting it. Awesome. Now I can go to bed knowing my slot is starting to look more and more like the ones I saw in Vegas!!!!

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 07:05:42 PM »
Awesome, glad you got it going.  There should be a progressive setup screen where you change/view the progressive contribution amount,  Normally it is in the .5% or lower range.

Offline bigdps

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 03:00:25 PM »
Well I redid my wires and now I just have to figure out how to install it on my machine. The round glass of the top part will be removed and a new insert made by moi, will replace it. There isn't too much lee way as far as placement goes but it will be a fun challenge.

On another thread, I see you replied to someone about fixing a broken leg on a key chip. What is the rule here about making a copy of your own chip? Does that break rules or is it under fair access policy?

Reason I ask is because I have a key 28 which has a completely gone leg from the chip. There is nothing left but a tiny bit which I can short out with a needle. I wouldn't mind getting the proper chip and make a personal copy of it.

Offline Ken

• Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 142
  • Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 03:06:26 PM »
Nothing wrong with backing up your files.

Offline bigdps

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 03:09:39 PM »
Anyone know what version of EEPROM it is?

Offline Ken

• Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 142
  • Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 03:10:54 PM »
I think a 28 is on a 27c4001. Should be on old chip.

EDIT .. see next post

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal