New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Game King LCD blackout (Replacing backlit tubes with LEDs)  (Read 7883 times)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Game King LCD blackout (Replacing backlit tubes with LEDs)
« on: June 06, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »
I'm working on an older Game King. The LCD monitor is just blacked out, but the touch screen works and the game plays.
When I press and hold the power button it will come on briefly but go off after about one second.
I've never worked on an LCD before but could this be simply the power supply or some other issue?
I'm not sure of the brand but the model number is GD-S17-11G. JVC?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 11:16:25 AM by shortrackskater »
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline KirkLasVegas

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • KirkLasVegas New User has no influence.
  • Yoda dog!
Re: Game King LCD blackout
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 07:41:16 PM »
Been there, done this.....
In the LCD monitor there are 2 "CCFL" tubes, very small long florescent tubes at the top and the bottom of the screen.
Here is the test, with the machine running, kill the power to the display ONLY.
Wait about 5 seconds, reconnect power and watch for picture.When it reappears wait for it to disappear again.
If it lasts from 2 to about 10 seconds, then goes away....Tubes.
If it flickers, gets brighter and dimmer,..... Inverter board.
HOW TO REPAIR......
Simple. Carefully disassemble the monitor, remove the tape around the touchscreen.Look at the end of the monitor chassis, you will see the wires going to the tubes.They sit in a thin metal "Channel".Look for the one very small screw that holds that channel in.Remove that screw and slide that channel out.From the vendor of your choice (I buy them from AG&E) a "Universal" LED kit that you cut to the right size and slip in there.After you get this done, you will need to apply tape around the outer edge of the touchscreen.It's a special tape, like a nylon cloth with adhesive.Cost is about $16 a kit.I have done this to 17" Uprights,15" Bartops and 19" slants with 100% success rate.It's looks GREAT when your done.After this, you wont need that invertor board anymore,you can remove it.Inside the monitor is a circuit board, look at the 5 electrolytic caps on it. They are 470Mfd 16 volt. If they look puffy on top..replace them all with 470Mfd 25 volt caps.The screen shot is a 15" Bartop I just repaired, it's brighter and sharper then others I have seen.

Kirk

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 08:19:47 PM »
Thanks Kirk!
That's great. This sounds like it might be not so bad.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline KirkLasVegas

• Sr NLG Member
  • Yoda dog!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 08:12:56 AM »
I have a few more to do this week, will post detailed pictures of the innards of LCD monitors, the driver boards etc etc. These will be the Wells 1590's.
Also have a few of the old CRT's that I need to recap.

Kirk

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 04:09:43 PM »
When I was there I did power it off (it has an independent power button) and after leaving it off for about 20 seconds, then powering it back up - I get a display for about two seconds, then it goes off.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 11:20:11 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline KirkLasVegas

• Sr NLG Member
  • Yoda dog!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 08:16:53 PM »
Thats a sure fire sign that the tubes are shot.....
Do the LED mod and never have to deal with that failure again.

Offline KirkLasVegas

• Sr NLG Member
  • Yoda dog!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 08:37:07 PM »
Using flexible LED strips this time.....
VERY easy to do. This is a Wells G 1590 for a bartop....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:40:13 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline KirkLasVegas

• Sr NLG Member
  • Yoda dog!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 08:43:02 PM »
Inside the wells monitor is a digital board, it has 5 470Mfd 16 volt caps and 3 10Mfd 16 volt SMD caps that fail....
REPLACE THEM!
The ESR meter will test them "In Circuit", no removal required. Leave good ones alone, rip out bad ones.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:43:28 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline KirkLasVegas

• Sr NLG Member
  • Yoda dog!
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 08:52:38 PM »
Picture #1  the bulging caps....BAD indication....
Picture #2 the old cap..short leads..see the 12 ohms reading..this thing is shot.
Picture #3 the new cap before install...see the LOW ohms...less than 1 ohm.
Most video display problems are usually crapped out old Electrolytic Caps.
Recapping will bring most of them back to life and like new, CRT as well as LCD.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 08:56:03 PM »
Could it just be caps and not the tubes?

Offline KirkLasVegas

• Sr NLG Member
  • Yoda dog!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 09:00:41 PM »
No, when they light for a few seconds then go out it's usually the tubes.
If it's the inverter, that costs more than the LED conversion, AND you need to do the caps anyways.
Best to go in, fix it right and not have to screw with it again.Should get another 7-10 years out of it.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 09:06:35 PM »
I'll give it a shot. THANKS for all the detailed pictures too.
I'm doing this for an acquaintance so I hope I can get it done somewhat easily, but I know this will be good for future repairs!

UPDATE: Unfortunately I wasn't able to do this and post results, if anyone's wondering!
But hopefully this thread will help out if anyone who wants to try the tube to LED changeover.  :applause:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 11:21:57 AM by shortrackskater »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal