New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: V20 questions  (Read 16920 times)

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.
  • NLG
V20 questions
« on: September 02, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »
So I just bought my 3rd alpha, it's a V20 that has a 200127 cpu. I would like to install a dual vga card and top monitor to make it a 20/20 but I'm unsure if I have enough cpu to successfully run the games I would like to install. I do have a 200173 cpu that I could swap in if that would be a better option. What would be the best thing to do? How badly will the cpu limits affect my game choices?
There are some shady people in this world, stay in the light...

Offline coolwavepic

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 100
  • coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
Re: V20 questions
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 03:36:23 PM »
I would recommend getting a 1gig MPU with 1 or 2 gigs of memory. You can play newer games on it like Wild Huskies, Gold Bug Series, Instant Riches series, Lightning Jackpots, Fireball 1 & 2, Emerald Falls and a few others. Older games will load a lot faster and performance is greatly improved. You can find a 1gig board for around $200-250 with video card.

If you want to stick with the old MPUs, yes, you can add a video card. All your adding is the GLASS graphics and you'll be able to play older V32 games but the image will be sideways.
-------
Charles

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 03:37:02 PM »
Can you post the PCA number, it is easier to identify the cpu by that number.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline mr-monoxide

• mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 04:08:50 PM »
Can you post the PCA number, it is easier to identify the cpu by that number.

Both of the boards in the 172 and 173 have the same #. PCA39456-0-0 REV D

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 04:38:16 PM »
A couple games I would like to install are blazing 7 hot shot, not the hot shot progressive but the regular non-progressive only because I like the white background of the reels better than the black. Super fireball frenzy was another one I was considering. A 1g CPU obviously would be the best option but for the moment I would like to make do with the CPUs I have unless the games are going to play super glitchy.

Offline coolwavepic

• Sr NLG Member
  • coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 04:54:55 PM »
The original Hot Shot Progressive does have a white background and is a lot more fun than the standard B7 video. Just my opinion.

With the PCA number you posted, you will be able to add a video card. Some of these boards were used in older V32 games which required the video card to shift the video vertically.

The games you listed will play fine on your boards. Even the orginal Hot Shot B7 (with white background)
-------
Charles

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 05:01:50 PM »
I'm with coolwave on this one, the 1Ghz MPU will give you the best flexibility and total compatibility with all available alpha 1 and even some early alpha 2 games.  Although you can install the dual video card on your mpu type, the limited memory and speed of the mpu will limit on the types of games you can install.  All Hot shot games are progressive, what you mean is you want the regular hot shot progressive, not the 15 reel version, which would run kind of slow on your mpu anyway.  I think you will find that the earlier games (the ones that start with AVG) will work fine on your mpu type with the video card.  Once you start getting into the 2xxxxx and 3xxxxx games, you might start to notice erratic gameplay.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 05:11:25 PM »
Thanks guys. This has cleared up a lot of questions for me. One last thing I'm wondering is if the dual output vga card that I would use in my 512 mpu could also be used in the 1g mpu when I get one later down the road?

Offline coolwavepic

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 05:25:27 PM »
YES
-------
Charles

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 05:31:21 PM »
Awesome, thanks!

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 05:56:22 PM »
Ok just one more question, does the game maker software require a touchscreen top monitor? Would having a touchscreen up top be beneficial for newer games once I upgrade my cpu?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:12:07 PM by mr-monoxide »

Offline coolwavepic

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 06:42:00 PM »
You would need the game maker button panel, 1gig board, and game maker hardware to play GameMaker suite. I still haven't found the button panel but I haven't been looking for it for quite some time. Also, it does not require a 2nd touch screen.

A tip tho, Suite 7 allows you to load 1 game at a time without the hardware. Most of the slots on GameMaker are available as standalone titles, as well as a few poker games. Triple Trouble Poker and Multiplay Blackjack for instance as available as standalone titles and have no need for GameMaker hardware or button panel.
-------
Charles

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 08:16:34 PM »
Ok just one more question, does the game maker software require a touchscreen top monitor? Would having a touchscreen up top be beneficial for newer games once I upgrade my cpu?

To the best of my knowledge there are no dual touchscreen games for the alpha 1 platform.  I believe the only games that ever used dual touchscreens were the iReel stepper games, Bally's version of transmissive reel games.  On my iReel V20/20 both the top and the bottom monitor require touchscreens to be working in order for the game to function.  No other V20/20 game I've used has ever required dual touchscreens.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 11:06:16 AM »
Ok, that's definitely enough info to get me started and headed in the right direction. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 03:03:16 PM »
Just wanted to check with you guys before I start ordering parts to turn my v20 into a 20/20. I know I need the monitor and the dual output video card, is there any other components I'll need that I'm not aware of?

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 06:40:06 PM »
The brackets to mount the monitor in the top box door.  Also you will need a vga cable to connect the top monitor to the dual vidio card.  On factory 20/20 cabinets, the cables run from the mpu to the top box plate that sits between the main part of the cabinet and the top box.  This plate also has the power and signal harnesses that top box stuff uses (candle light connector, 5/12/24v power for various things like toppers and other top box peripherals).  Then the monitor gets it's power from this top box distribution plate and the vga cable as well.  Usually there's a dual 15pin VGA female connector to mate the cable that comes from the bottom of the cabinet to the one in the top box.  Also usually there's a second serial db9 in there as well that is not connected from the bottom of the  cabinet, but it is connected at the top.  You probably don't need to run that cable though, unless you plan on converting to alpha2 in the future.

So to summarize:

On my factory v20/20, the top monitor has power/vga/ and touchscreen connected to the top box distribution board. (although I have yet to find a use for the top touchscreen on alpha 1 games).
The mpu has a vga cable going from the dual video card to the bottom side of the topbox distribution board's DB15H VGA mating connector.  On V20 cabinets, this connector is not there, and the hole where the connector goes is covered by a "punch out" plate.  The easiest way is to just use a long cable and connect the top monitor's vga lcd to the dual video card directly.  I guess it all depends on how close to factory looks you want it.

Make sure you get the brackets to mount the top monitor correctly.  Not all monitors are created equal, and you have to get one that goes to the top box as it is not a thick as the the ones I've usually run across in the standard V20 setups.  The ones on the top box need to be shallower in order for the hinge on the top door to work properly, the deeper monitor used on the main door won't work.  Also make sure you get the power harness for the top monitor that plugs into the top box distribution board.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 07:58:20 PM »
Will I get an error if I don't hook up the top touchscreen serial? If not I won't bother to run it. Looks like I'll be needing the brackets and the power harness. I have been searching vendors for the power harness with no luck so far, do you know of a good source for that and the brackets?

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 08:13:55 PM »
You don't need to hook up the touchscreen for the top, you can leave it unplugged.  The easiest way to find what you need is to find someone who is parting out a S9000E reel machine and just buy the whole topbox door with the monitor already mounted on it.  Otherwise you are going to have a hard time finding the brackets.  I had to make my own brackets out of aluminum sheets to mount a monitor on my door.  I think the last time I saw someone selling brackets was central valley slots, but they are on an extended "cruising around the USA" tour. 

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 06:05:35 PM »
Ok I've got everything I need to do this conversion. I'll be changing the OS as well as the bios and jurisdiction chips and installing the new video card also. My question is concerning the protocol for changing these items. Is it a step by step process or do I change everything at once? Do I do a clear before or after? Is there anything in the set up menu I need to change for the video card to work or is it simply plug n' play? Any info offered will be most helpful, I just want to make sure I get it right.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:09:30 AM by mr-monoxide »

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 08:00:25 PM »
The video card is just like plugging one into a pc, just plug it in and secure it.  The OS will automatically find the card and make use of it.  You can install bios, sjur and video card at once.    Then clear with the correct clear CF and then proceed to load game as usual.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal