New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: New to Slot Machines - How Do I Tell The Model and other questions from a beginn  (Read 4909 times)

Offline marchettig

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • marchettig New User has no influence.
  • NLG
I just picked up my first slot machine yesterday and took a gamble by spending $75 on it, and have some beginner questions I was hoping to get some guidance on.  The machine itself powers on, and appears to have an error code of 12.  I've ordered a battery to replace the one on the board, so hoping to make it past that step in the near future.  In the meantime, i have some pretty basic questions, first of which is, what type of machine is this?  I've searched the forums and I'm leaning towards an "IGT S+"?  Also - another newbie question.  The machine came with all locks open, and no keys.  Is there a need to have the keys to have the machine operate correctly?  Do doors need to be locked after closed for functionality?  Or, is it just a security issue to make sure no one is dipping into the coins or bills?  I'll be trying to work on this machine and get it up and running, so hoping to get some help along the way from the community here.  Seems to be a very responsive group with a wealth of information.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:03:37 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
I just picked up my first slot machine yesterday and took a gamble by spending $75 on it, and have some beginner questions I was hoping to get some guidance on.  The machine itself powers on, and appears to have an error code of 12.  I've ordered a battery to replace the one on the board, so hoping to make it past that step in the near future.  In the meantime, i have some pretty basic questions, first of which is, what type of machine is this?  I've searched the forums and I'm leaning towards an "IGT S+"?  Also - another newbie question.  The machine came with all locks open, and no keys.  Is there a need to have the keys to have the machine operate correctly?  Do doors need to be locked after closed for functionality?  Or, is it just a security issue to make sure no one is dipping into the coins or bills?  I'll be trying to work on this machine and get it up and running, so hoping to get some help along the way from the community here.  Seems to be a very responsive group with a wealth of information.

Welcome to NLG.
 Yes that is an S+. Nice buy for $75. The only key you will need is the Jackpot reset key. A #2341 key. You will need that for clearing the 61 error after replacing the battery. I don't have locks on my machines but some people prefer them for the authentic look and to keep hands out of the machine. If you don't have the reset key, you can probably get one from the place you got the battery. Or the vendors on the home page or on E-Bay. Good luck and ask away if you have any questions.

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline marchettig

• NLG
Thanks for the quick response, Dave.   I'll certainly have to get the key to reset after the battery replacement. I'm not too concerned about keeping people out of the machine, so seems like I can forgo replacing the tumbler locks. 

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
If you don't find a good source for the 2341 reset key here is another place that has them for a good price, and the shipping isn't bad if you select the First Class mail option:

http://www.spininc.com/01465-0

When you replace the battery on the main control circuit board (called the mpu board) look it over for any battery leakage or beverage spills. Sometimes these machines have that happen and it is much better to find it sooner than later. The mpu board is located in the lower part of the cabinet behind the hopper by the back wall, or over on the left wall, depends on when the machine was made. The mpu board is attached to a metal tray, there will be a knob on the tray so you can lift the whole mpu assembly upward. Post any photos of things you have questions about.

PS> Welcome to NLG and to the hobby, glad to have you here!   :wave:

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline off-track

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • off-track New User barely matters.off-track New User barely matters.
  • NLG
The mpu board is located in the lower part of the cabinet behind the hopper by the back wall, or over on the left wall, depends on when the machine was made. The mpu board is attached to a metal tray, there will be a knob on the tray so you can lift the whole mpu assembly upward.

From the pictures this S+ has the MPU on the back wall.  Hopefully it is unlocked!  It can appear to be as the connector is a TIGHT fit.  Wiggle the knob left and right a little bit while lifting straight up to remove the assembly.

Also, there should be a sticker on the front door that lists the dimensions of the belly, door, cash box door and cash box locks.  If you want to restore it to standard most any hardware store will stock cheap barrel locks, just be sure to look at the key codes so you get matched locks.  I did that to secure the cash box on my "piggy bank".  That way everything else is wide open but can be locked if I want.   

Offline marchettig

• NLG
This is all great and useful information.  Thanks for all the help so far, and hoping to get to the next steps as soon as the parts come in.

Offline marchettig

• NLG
I'm back again for some more help.  I looked through the forums, and I'm thinking i have the 61 loop error.  I've successfully changed out the battery on the board, and alleviated the error code of 12.  I went through the process here of pressing the reset button for a couple of seconds until i heard the ding, and saw the code change to 61-1.  Closed the door completely and latched, then turned the jackpot key once.  From my understanding on what i've been reading, the code should then disappear.  Seems like it doesn't want to go away, and sticks with the error code, along with the top candles lighting in the top.  Almost seems like turning the jackpot reset key has done nothing.  Any thoughts on a solution?  Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
I'm back again for some more help.  I looked through the forums, and I'm thinking i have the 61 loop error.  I've successfully changed out the battery on the board, and alleviated the error code of 12.  I went through the process here of pressing the reset button for a couple of seconds until i heard the ding, and saw the code change to 61-1.  Closed the door completely and latched, then turned the jackpot key once.  From my understanding on what i've been reading, the code should then disappear.  Seems like it doesn't want to go away, and sticks with the error code, along with the top candles lighting in the top.  Almost seems like turning the jackpot reset key has done nothing.  Any thoughts on a solution?  Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

You will want to make sure the door is latched and the door optics are lined up right. Others here will add their advice about making sure you are handling the error 61 correctly and not missing something. My understanding is that if the door optic sensors are working ok you will see the front display on the machine blink when you close and latch the door.

If the machine is stuck in the error 61 loop then you will need to use a CLEAR chip to clear the cmos ram, which will also get rid of the error 61 loop problem. If you don't already have a CLEAR chip you can buy one from different places, like here on NLG, ebay and other places on the internet. To use the CLEAR chip there are instructions at the top of this forum in the "sticky" notes (see link below). The basic process is to remove a chip from the mpu board (the chip named "GAME PROM") and install the CLEAR chip, then power up the machine. You then press the white TEST button inside the machine once or twice and allow the CLEAR process to complete.  After the CLEAR is done you turn off power and reinstall the original chip and put the CLEAR chip away.

Using the CLEAR chip will erase all of the machine's preference settings and put them back to factory default settings, so you will need to go thru some of them to get it back the way you want it set up. This can be time-consuming and tedious, especially for a beginner, that's why doing a CLEAR is not recommended unless absolutely needed. Also, if you have a bill validator the CLEAR chip will disable it, so you will need to use a SET chip to enable the bill validator. A lot of times people buy the CLEAR and SET chips together as a set.

Here is the sticky note about how to do the CLEAR procedure:

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=16134.0

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:03:47 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
If your in a 61 loop you will have a 61 code displayed and when you key the machine the it will turn to 61.1 .
Then the machine will reboot back to the 61.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:57:16 AM by Proten »
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline marchettig

• NLG
Not sure if this would be a cause for not being able to clear the 61-1 error, but found one of the door optics had a wire that is not connected.  I ordered a new set, and will replace those once they arrive.  Is it possible the 61-1 error is occurring due to the door optics not working as designed?

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Yes, the optics are very important in finishing the process.
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Offline Shaggy

• Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
With a wire broken on the optics, the machine reads the door as still open. The reset key will not work with the door open. That is why you close and latch the door, then turn the reset key. Good job finding the broken wire.  :cool_thumb_up:

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline marchettig

• NLG
Thanks again.  Now the waiting begins again.  Just ordered both sides of the optics, along with a clear and reset chip (just in case I need it).  Any other parts that you would recommend having in hand.  Seems like I do a little troubleshooting, find a problem, order parts, then wait.  Fix issue then repeat the cycle.  😀

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
You just getting started !!!!!
Wait till you get up one morning and your looking at a dozen machines in your home
In different stages of repairs asking your self "How did this happen?"

:24:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:01:32 PM by Proten »
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
Thanks again.  Now the waiting begins again.  Just ordered both sides of the optics, along with a clear and reset chip (just in case I need it).  Any other parts that you would recommend having in hand.  Seems like I do a little troubleshooting, find a problem, order parts, then wait.  Fix issue then repeat the cycle.  😀

This is valuable knowledge you are learning, you will be able to assist others with their machine problems in no time. In fact, for some owners fixing a machine is part of the fun.

Just about everyone started out in this hobby similar to how you are.

Except we don't often get a $75 deal like you did. :garfield:

Offline marchettig

• NLG
Back again in hopes of some more guidance.  I installed the door optics that came in today, but seem to still get the 61-1 error that will not reset.  Also tried the clear chip process, and still the same 61-1 error.

Is there a way to test to make sure the door optics are working?  What's the best way to make sure that they are lined up properly? 

Any other suggestions of things to look for to get past the 61-1 error?  Seems like the jackpot reset key isn't letting me past the error.

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
Back again in hopes of some more guidance.  I installed the door optics that came in today, but seem to still get the 61-1 error that will not reset.  Also tried the clear chip process, and still the same 61-1 error.

Is there a way to test to make sure the door optics are working?  What's the best way to make sure that they are lined up properly? 

Any other suggestions of things to look for to get past the 61-1 error?  Seems like the jackpot reset key isn't letting me past the error.

Here's a link to the optics test on the S+ forum.

Dave

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=14723.0

Offline marchettig

• NLG
Thanks, Dave.  Would that test for the coin comparitor optics be the same as the door optics?  I think my problem is that the machine isn't seeing the door as closed, but i could be mistaken.

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
Sorry, I posted the wrong test. I'll look it up and get back to you, if somebody doesn't post it first.

Here you go, sorry..... :wave:

Dave

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=16237.msg86542#msg86542

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Go to the s+ section and scroll down.  You will see a page with a video showing exactly what to do.  Excellent instructions.
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal