New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Pixel ROM Signature Error  (Read 2692 times)

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.
  • Bally 873; Game King 3502/3902; Atari System 2
Pixel ROM Signature Error
« on: January 16, 2018, 12:06:49 PM »
Hi,

Another game, another problem!

I have a Catch a Wave game that worked when I first got it, but I noticed that the PXL card in the tray had been smooshed down during delivery, which broke the plastic mounting on one end. When I swapped the board back in recently, the game powered on with a corrupted, gibberish screen.

I was able to straighten out the PXL board with a rubber band and some tape, but when the game boots up, I get a PIXEL ROM SIGNATURE ERROR. I tried doing the "Turn Attendant Key to Download Module" but after 9 (!) hours, it still said "Processor will automatically reboot after download is complete." Is there something I could do to resolve this error?

One last thing: There's only one PXL card—aren't there usually two? Could it be that I lost a PXL card between the time I first played it and when I swapped it back in? Seems unlikely, but I want to consider all possibilities. It just seems like there are usually two PXL cards. 

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: Pixel ROM Signature Error
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 12:15:54 PM »
The simm is bad.  Not all games have multiple PXL cards.  Some have 2 or 3.  Catch a Wave has only 1 PXL simm, 1 SNDF, and 1 CGF.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
  • smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 01:00:58 PM »
The simm is bad.  Not all games have multiple PXL cards.  Some have 2 or 3.  Catch a Wave has only 1 PXL simm, 1 SNDF, and 1 CGF.

Thanks Rick!

By simm, you mean the PXL simm? I did notice some bubbling on the contacts—could that be related?

Can I simply get a new simm for the same game?

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 03:18:33 PM »
Yes, it only has one PXL simm.  If I'm reading your original post correctly the plastic latch on the simm socket broke?  If so, have you tried moving the simm to a different socket that isn't broken?  It sounds like you were trying to get it to stay in the broken socket with tape & rubberbands?

If the pxl simm really is bad, your can replace it with a like one.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 03:47:37 PM »
Yes, it only has one PXL simm.  If I'm reading your original post correctly the plastic latch on the simm socket broke?  If so, have you tried moving the simm to a different socket that isn't broken?  It sounds like you were trying to get it to stay in the broken socket with tape & rubberbands?

If the pxl simm really is bad, your can replace it with a like one.

Oh, you can use a different socket?!

Yes, packaging tape and a strong rubber band!  :rotfl:

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 04:08:38 PM »
I see bubbling on the PXLF contacts—the source of the problem?

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 05:07:10 PM »
Yes.  You can put it any one of those three slots, but don't use the broken one. 

Looks like solder flow through the holes?  There's one that looks questionable in the second photo.  Try cleaning the contacts off with a pencil eraser and see if you can fix that one contact up a bit too.  Then put it in a good socket and see if it works.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »
Did you ever get this problem resolved?

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 08:37:36 PM »
Did you ever get this problem resolved?

By coincidence, I received the replacement PXLF card in the mail today, and it WORKS!

Another problem that popped up was the digitized sounds/music worked for a little while, then stopped—just like the last time I played the game. But I remembered that I had an extra Multimedia Lite board and replaced it. The sound is BACK!

One thing that bugs me about the game is that it's a Cruise ship chipset, and that I can have only one denomination, and that only Credits are shown—not the $ amount. (#firstworldproblems)

Here's a video of attract mode: https://youtu.be/h0zDqhuSFR8

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 09:43:58 AM »
Good to hear you got it working!  You could replace the two GME's with ones that support multi-denomination and the credit/cash switch.  G0000969 I know does for that game software.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 10:01:28 PM »
I was thinking of asking about that—I didn't have to! Thanks Tilt!

There's an interesting difference how the Big Kahuna Bonus pays.

In most online videos, the Paid meter counts up with each free bonus spin, but the Credit/Cash meter doesn't count up until the bonus round is complete. In my Cruise version, however, the Credit meter counts up with each free spin win. So at the end of the bonus, it says I was Paid 0. The final screen isn't photo-worthy!

I noticed another interesting variation for the Big Kahuna Bonus. In one version, as the wave washes over the reels, the reels are "spinning" then come to a stop. In most versions, the wave washes over the reels to reveal the stopped-in-place symbols.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal