New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Mikon stand alone progressive unit questions (S2000)  (Read 17060 times)

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Mikon stand alone progressive unit questions (S2000)
« on: March 22, 2014, 08:41:46 AM »
I just got a progressive unit glass/reel kit to install in a S2000. It is for a Sizzling 7s if that matters for any reason for starters. I have not changed the SB and other 2 chips nor set the game up as far as changing out the reels, clear/set chip yet. I wanted to make sure I had all the connections right on the progressive ubit first, and all seems well so far. When I powerd the machine and unit up, the progreesive display went through a number of tests, rom, time, date, etc. It all seemed to re set and at first it showed 1001.08 on the progressive display, the it went to 0.00 and alternates and goes to C1 on the display and back again. Now with all of that longwinded intro, do I need to set this up on my slot machine through the test switch menus or what. Sorry if this is a simple question, but this is my first progressive unit so I am totally green on this subject.

This is the unit in question
Thanks in advance,
David
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:04:24 PM by qbert »
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Mikon stand alone progressive unit questions
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 08:46:31 AM »
it now shows a C1 and a C3
C1 - communications link down.
You need to configure the controller so it will work with the S2000
Hardware config via the switches on the unit
Menu = ADDR
    GRADR 255 (default)
    IDADR 64 (default)
    RTR ADDR OFF
    PROTO CON2
    Machine address and ID you can leave them as is
Menu = DISP
    JP Limit  YES (good idea)
    # DISP   1
    JP GRP SA

Settting in PSP for S2000 Use PSP 3.0 for Cham II+ (if it is not in the files section I wil add it)
Jackpot programming (The information in the help area of PSP is decent)
F4 set to M08
F8 set to MS08
set your values and press F1
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:20:39 AM by qbert »
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 08:55:53 AM »
Do I need to hook up a computer keyboard to this unit to program it?
No,you need the PSP v2 program and a serial cable with pins 2 and 5 jumped.
I have made a few suggested changes in the menu address and the menu display areas, on the menu display, do I set the JP GRP tp SA0, SA1, or what?. I have it set to SA0 and I am getting a set of zeros on my display and it alternates to a C14. Any help on this?
Thanks,
David

SA0
C14=The selected Machine Serial setting is not supported
Like posted above you need the psp program with the correct serial cable
and a pc with a 9 pin serial port xp or 98 works best.
Tim

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 09:10:29 AM »
David,
Reading this it sounds like you already have the glass kit with progressive
pulled from a working machine if this is correct then all you would have to do is hook up cable from J7 of Mikohn
to J15 on the S2000(if it came with the cable) then in the key chip menu set up the progressive to link level 1 I believe.
Key chip is required of course.
Let us know what you did.
Tim
It did come from a working game and it did include that cable. So I already did a clear and set in  order to change the games, do I need to repeat that whole process, or can I just start from the set chip forward?
Thanks,
David
No clear needed you have to key chip and go into
7.3 Progressive menu
set it to none
Link=LINK LEVEL 1 for all denoms
and select %
Sorry I don't have my notes in front of me I think Ron-r273 sent you his notes in the email above
follow that and you should be good to go.
Tim
will I need to get my credits down to zero before I make the changes and do I need to use my set chip as well?
Correct 0 credits key not set this is a S2000 not S+ machine

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 09:26:25 AM »
Changed the progreesive settings and now I am getting the same C14 and "link progreesive down" message on the bottom left display.
Wow this is really being a pain in the ...........
Start up PSP and post a good screen shot or list the settings for Jackpot programming.
I suspect a setting is not correct in the controller
Also hide that Clear Chip it is not needed as much as people like to think it is needed.
I have changed games over 100 times and never had to use a clear chip just to do a game change.
Only time I had to use one is when I made 2 acccounting denomination mistakes.
Setting up a progressive for the first time is always a hair puller.
First off did you key chip the machine...
IN THE KEY CHIP MENU
you must pick under 7.3.1
game 1
denom amount
then link level 1
Make sure the cable from J7 is connected to J15 on the S2000

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 09:32:05 AM »
Yeah that would help if he posted the psp shot to confirm correct setting for F4 and F8
but I don't think he picked the correct values in the key chip menu without link level 1 it will error link progressive down
or the cable not being plugged in.
Tim
ok, probably a dumb question, but what is F4 and F8?
LOL its part of the jackpot programming in psp
which I don't think you ever used.
Lets confirm here, you bought a glass kit with a working Mikohn system with all the correct cables
that you want to just slap into an S2000 machine.
Have you or have you not key chipped the machine.
Tim

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 09:41:21 AM »
They refer to the Function keys on the keyboard.
F4 and F8 should changed to be M08 and MS08 for S2000

does J15 have "progressive" written on the board where this connector goes? This is on the backpane board next to the cpu 3rd up from the bottom?
WOW   I'm sure glad i got spectrum displays instead    :25-
S2000 and most spectrums can not do custom messages.
The Cham II+ does them very easily.
once you get the Cham II+ and S2000 communicating and decide to change games and decide to adjust progressive values (no key needed) just connect the computer to the controller and start psp and make the changes.
J15 is the progressive port on the motherboard, J85 is the progressive port on the Communications port you can use either one.
yes, so it is in the right spot then. This was set up on another slot before it was sent to me so I shouldn't have to connect this to a computer should I? Does it matter which SG chips I am using for any reason?
S2000 and most spectrums can not do custom messages.
The Cham II+ does them very easily.
"Easily" is a relative term, Foster.  Once you have a working setup with the computer, the software, the cable, and the ChamII+, then yes, it's not difficult.  It can be a pain, however, to get to that point.   :89-

This was set up on another slot before it was sent to me so I shouldn't have to connect this to a computer should I?
More than likely no, but if you want to go down the path of wanting to plug it in and have it pick up from where it left off, you may have to change any settings you made back to what they were when you got the item.  You stated earlier that you made changes to the settings compared to what it was set to when you first received it.
I have made a few suggested changes in the menu address and the menu display areas, on the menu display, do I set the JP GRP tp SA0, SA1, or what?. I have it set to SA0 and I am getting a set of zeros on my display and it alternates to a C14. Any help on this?
I started all over, did a clear, set then set everything up as instructed through the key chip config. I even set the multi denom and set up the progressive 7.3 as instructed and am still getting a "link progressive down" and the C14 on the progressive display. What else can I do at this point? If it matters, when I first got all of the mikon stuff hooked up correctly, it showed a 1001.01 on the progressive meter, so I know the meter seems to be working fine, should I go back and make any changes from my mikon board with the two round gray buttons? I'm at a total loss.
Thanks again,
David
I would use 363.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 09:47:24 AM »
Here are the settings in my Cham II+ or Standalone that have to configured via the switches on the controller
note not yelling I am posting them as they are shown on the display
MENU = ADDR
    PROTO = CON2
    GRADR = 255
    IDADR = 64
    RTR ADDR = OFF
    MACH ADDR = 1
MENU = DISP
   JP Limit = NO
   # DISPLAYS = 1
   JP GRP 1 = SA
   MFILE = 0  This is what I am using leave yours alone for now.
   ODSPEED1 = 10
   FONT1 = ODMTR8W
   SIZE1 = 60 this is width of the display in pixels, default is 60. FYI The Height is 8.
Menu = SYST no need to go into those settings unless you want to test or reset it.
Jackpot Programming in PSP
Look at attached screen shot (yes I run PSP 3.0 on windows XP on Virtual Box on Mac OS X 10.6.6)

FWIW, I don't think he has the PSP software, the special cable needed to program it, nor do we even know if his computer has a serial port.
I sent him PSP 3.0, psp 2.0 manual as a reference (I know there are some changes between psp 2 and 3) and a Cham II+ manual.
I made the changes on the menu address and displays as guided, now I am getting an all green screen on the progressive display, machine still says link progressive down. Is it possible that the re, black and white wires are not pinned to the connector properly? The small connector from the gray wire that goes into the J15 connection from the bottom to the top of the connector is white, black, red wires. Is that the correct order?

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 09:51:12 AM »
David,
Just heading out the door but here is the pin out ,make sure the connection at J15 is fully seated.
also if the mikohn is completely green you have another issue going on.
Tim
Now all i'm getting is a C1 on the progressive and "link progressive down" on the slot display. Seems like I may be getting closer? hopefully anyway...... 
Any ideas on this?
Thanks as always,
David
Check your connections at the chamII board and J7, I had a similar problem and it was a loose connection on the red wire.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 09:53:27 AM »
Are these wires in the proper pin slots on the connector to the mikon board?

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 09:58:16 AM »
Well the cham II+ end looks correct.
Replace the bottom picture with one of the other end connected to the machine. also use the J15 on the motherboard
you say jackpot group to SA, mine shows choices of:
SA0
SA1
SA2
SA3
SA4
SA5
So should I set mine to SA! or SA0?
Thanks again
What is the ROM version that comes up?
That is is unusual or it sounds like you might have set M08 and MS08 Correctly.
IF you have the F4 settings not at M08 that may be why you are seeing that.
I noticed that when reading the manual about the different machine settings (F4) some allow more jackpot groups including SA ones.
Version 2.09

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
and the F4 settings is M08 ?

I don't have the cable to hook it up to a computer, the only cable i have that could possibly work will fit into the progreesive board but the other end looks like a telephone plug. Can I use this? This was sent to me working out of another slot, it had already been programmed to that person's slot from the guy at Betterslots.

Does your computer have a serial port and what OS is on it?
IF need be I can program the controller for you.
The only part I will need is the controller.

it does, Windows 7

Windows Vista and 7 do not like 16 bit dos programs especially if they try to access hardware directly.
I believe that PSP does access the hardware directly (com port) and secure operating systems do not allow it.
So the program crashes NTVDM which is Virtual DOS machine.
If you have another computer around or can borrow one XP with USB and serial
So you can get PSP on it and use the serial port.
or take a look at http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=731.0 (edit qbert 3/14)

I do have another older laptop that has Windows XP

That will work
Now all it needs is a serial port and a serial cable.
USB would be handy so you can get PSP onto the laptop with a flash drive.
You do not need a special serial cable

what is psp?

That is the software used to program the controller.

Check your e-mail that is on your profile here.
There is a learning curve when dealing with a progressive controller that supports many platforms.
I sent you PSP 3.0 and manuals for psp 2.0 and the controller.
The psp manual just help you understand the software used to program and configure the controller but some things require use of the buttons.
I just hope that the 2.09 is for IGT and not bally or other platform.
That is why I offered to configure it for you, and test it on my S2000 with SG363, version and base do not matter unless the base does not support a progressive, most do some dont.

So you need me to send the unit to you? What all do you need and I will get it out to you. It should work seeing that I am using the same kit (Sizzling 7s) and progressive unit that he had in his machine.
If you're asking me to send it to you, just pm me your address.
Thanks for all the help,
David

I received the Controller from BR549 Auto Sales tonight
I configured it for the S2000
2.09 will work with S2000
Jackpot group can be 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7, SA0, SA1 SA2, SA3 The SA0-SA3 the S2000 stayed enabled. 0-7 (Prog. Link Down)
I set to SA0.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 10:24:11 AM »
Old topic, but a new question.
My machine came up with the progressive link down error. The machine was shut down for some time so I figured it was the battery.
I reprogramed the controller, but I still get the progressive link down.
I have it troubleshot to page 6 where  f6 is M-08 and f8 is MS08. When I hit send I get an error for communication with the controller. If I read the data on page 6 I see where the controller is programed incorrectly. I know that the cable is good since I can communicate with the controller on other pages. I just can't communicate with it on page 6  :103-
Any suggestions or is it time for a new controller?
Sometimes they are a little pita. Try sending the data right after you power up the stand alone.
I've had it happen that after the unit has been on for a few minutes they don't accept programing for whatever reason.
Well I figured that maybe that controller was shot, so I got another one.
However it does the exact same thing. I tried another one and got the same results.... Insanity
I have even reloaded the program, but still no luck
use PSP 3.0 if you have it
Also do the m 08 and ms 08 on page 1 Jackpot programming.
If this is helpful, you should be able to completely zap the controller's memory by, with the power off, moving the switch to the programming mode, then hold down both push buttons for programming on the controller, then apply power.  You should see it initialize and be reset to factory settings.
Neon,
Also might want to check the cable connection at the stand alone to the motherboard, sometimes a pin pulls out of the connector on one end or the other.
Rich
Thanks everyone.
Foster you were correct it was the settings on page 1 at the bottom. I was concentrated on the numeric value in the top section and did not notice the f6 and f8 options on that page.
Then after changing page 1 I still could not change the value on page 6 it would continue to default to M-0 and MS-0
I believe this is normal if your setting up a standalone system. It appears that the page 6 is for multi-controllers on one system.
Anyways, it is working again.
Now what controls the flip speed of the numbers? I [played around with a lot of the setting but it's still the slow rate with like a second or two between the numbers. I would like to remove the lag, but still have a nice roll of the numbers.
Knagl,
I did consider setting everything back to the default but luckily got it corrected on the page 1

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 10:36:05 AM »
Foster,
You said message programming was easy with Cham 2+. I have four IGT s2000 progressive machines with either Cham 2+ or Stand alones. All work perfect and I'm familiar with using PSP software.
I also have a 3x3 Mikohn display with supreme and I've used the download 2.0 to load it.
 What I can not seem to comprehend is how to program a message in either system.
What and where do you put a message so it will display along with the jackpot value. Something like "Welcome to the home gaming spot" This should be easy but I just don't know where to put it in the psp. Does it go in the message.do or somewhere else? An example would be great.
Thanks
Rich
For the cham II+ it goes in the jpot.do file
Supreme, not sure about that one Jay on here probably knows about the Supreme.
I have not been lucky enough to get a hold of a Supreme or display for a Supreme to figure out how to set it up
How I did it was add my message before  the current stuff in the jpot.do (the default it only shows the current amount in dazzle mode)
I inserted another Start block, travel left, speed (play with the values until speed is right for you, pick your text color, etc type your message
also so it goes back to the beginning of the jpot.do insert a speed token and adjust the value in the jackpot value block (I think you can place it right before the jackpot token or at the end
Also set MFILE=0 via the on board menu's or it wont even look at the jpot.do file
< > pick the command that matches in PSP   
Example
<start block><travel left><speed>7<Dazzle>Welcome to The Home Gaming Spot.<start block><Dazzle><jackpot>#<speed>3 
There might be another command or so in the jpot.do file (its only like 4 or 5 characters long when you first open it before you modify it, other than adding the speed command and value (becomes a delay) leave the jackpot display portion of jpot.do alone unless you want to change the font. I picked dazzle you can change it.(might be called paint in the command list)
# leave the number after the jackpot token alone or you will get an error or a unknown value displayed.
Also adjust the speed values until you get a reasonable travel speed (in the first block) and the jackpot vvalue displays for long enough for your liking (in the second block)
you may have to adjust the location of the speed command in the second block.
Also depending if you are using PSP 2 or 3 you may have to send the files to the cham II+ a few times before they take effect. not sure why but the files do not download on the first try
the old ones are replaced once the replacements are correctly downloaded.

Thanks Foster!  :1: Works great you are the best.
The jackpot only shows for a very brief time before the message. I would like it to display a little longer longer. I'm using the 4 or 5 characters in the default jackpot.do to display the progressive value followed by the "Thanks Foster" message that I inserted.
Didn't have much time to play with it and thanks for the note about sending multiple times to Chami it took about 3 shots with a few board reboots to get it to work.

Now if I could just get the supreme to display .....that will be another post
Rich
Did you add the speed command to the jackpot block?
if you did increase the value

I seem to think on my ChamII+ that I just placed the jackpot token a few times in a row in my jpot.do file so it would display longer, but it's been ages since I programmed the thing.
Tried playing with speed command,  not successful.
Repeating the token worked vey well.
Thanks foster and knagl. Knagl be looking for a post on how this can be done on a supreme display  coming soon.
Rich
Heh, I've programmed a Supreme, but only for non-progressive jackpot stuff.  A friend of mine got a batch of machines with Supremes in them, but no progressive controllers.  I was able to program messages and graphics and whatnot on them, but I've never actually worked on a Supreme with a jackpot controller.
You need a CON2 to make the Supreme display behave like a Progressive meter.
Don't want to use a progressive controller (not yet anyway) I just want to display custom phrases along with the canned pdf files that I have already loaded like fireworks display.
Well, that I can help with, although I'm a little rusty.  Start a new topic when you're ready.

Offline brettsrt

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • brettsrt New User barely matters.brettsrt New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2019, 10:33:55 PM »
when he says jumped do we mean swapping pins 2 & 5 or connect pins 2 & 5 together?
No,you need the PSP v2 program and a serial cable with pins 2 and 5 jumped.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
Re: Mikon stand alone progressive unit questions (S2000)
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 11:08:21 PM »
That would be a jumper wire connecting pins 2 and 5 together.

Offline brettsrt

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 09:01:36 AM »
ok that’s what i thought, i have one of these that power upgetting a c14 & c10 error, i am using psp 3.0 on windows xp, i tried jumping 2-5 on serial cable, when trying to load from mikon to psp i am getting a communication error....any help appreciated

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 10:08:18 AM »
Probably need to boot in DOS, not a DOS window in xp.

Offline brettsrt

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2019, 07:13:05 PM »
i thought you did it xp in your screenshot way up above? only other option you can do that allows serial port drivers functioning is safe mode with command prompt but same results in that... don’t know what i m am missing...

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 04:23:39 PM »
It was so long ago when I loaded the PSP on my laptop. I thought it asked which port you wanted use. Should have chose serial.
You said you were trying to read from the cham 2 to load the PSP on the laptop.  You should be going the other way sending to the cham2. Also only send each page to the cham2. It won't like trying to send all pages at the same time you should only have to send first pages 1 through 4. Also boot the cham2 and just as it finishes booting press the F1 (send) on the laptop.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal