New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: CPU keep resetting on startup  (Read 19677 times)

Offline Ron (r273)

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 74
  • Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.Ron (r273) Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
CPU keep resetting on startup
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:26:54 PM »

« on: October 30, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »

I have a CPU in one of my Alphas that keep resetting as soon as you turn it on. It will do this continuously for some time and then boot up.
It acts like a bad capacitor that eventually comes to life as it warms up.
It's not a power supply problem, and is definitely an issue with the CPU.
Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Once the machine is up and running it's good. I have had it run 24 7 for two weeks with no problem.
Neokiss

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »

Ok, we need to revive this one and find a fix...Neon never even got a response! With Alphas now hitting the secondary market, I'm sure this will help many in the future. 

We have 2 Alphas that are continually resetting on start up, much like Neon's issue, but......these never boot up!

Symptoms:

Monitor displays "VGA In", then "No Signal", then nothing...
Button deck flashes
LEDs in reel window flash
Little dashes flash in meter windows
Loud POP from speakers with each reset
The fan (or one of them) on the MPU spins intermittently

Neonkiss has done some testing and it does not appear to me a main power supply issue, and the next suspect is the power supply in the MPU.

Thanks in advance for your input Alpha Adonis'!

Roslyn

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 04:07:11 PM
It is the power supply on the alpha engine (mpu). It is an ATX 1U 525 WAtt server power supply. The caps go bad. You can try to recap it or just replace it.
There are a few different manufactures out there, one is IPC p/n H1M-6607P or P1H-5550V or H1M-5607v or H1M-5707v

Bally sticks anything down to a 300 watt in there, but I would not suggest lower than 400 watt min. That is why they go up so much..under rated.
coorlight115

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »

Once again coors comes to rescue. THE ALPHA GURU!!!
FORDSBS

I'm retired....My job is having a good time with my slots.   Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline idylewild1

• Supporting Vendors
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • idylewild1 Is working their way up.idylewild1 Is working their way up.idylewild1 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • samronslots.com
Re: CPU keep resetting on startup
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 02:49:44 PM »
I have found when there is loud popping and the CPU restarting that the 24V power supply is bad. I have seen some that will finally boot up after some time passes. The power supplies have all been repaired by replacing two capacitors. Have the cap numbers at the shop if anyone needs them. Hope this helps.

Offline DF777

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • DF777 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 04:00:28 PM »
I have a similar problem and feel that is only a matter of time before the 24v power supply goes kaput.
It would be very helpful if you could supply the part #'s ,suppliers and location on the board of two offending capacitors.
I have 2 Alpha S9E's and have swapped the 24v power supplies and the loud popping that you mention has followed the bad power supply.
Although the PS's externally look identical there is a distinct difference as far as the layout of the internal components.
Thanks,DF777

Offline idylewild1

• Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • idylewild1 Is working their way up.idylewild1 Is working their way up.idylewild1 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • samronslots.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 03:56:45 PM »
The caps I change are C412 and C42 10V 1000 ufd. They usually have a bulged top. Hope this helps.

Offline Neonkiss

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • Neonkiss New User barely matters.Neonkiss New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 05:36:43 PM »
For the record I did get this one fixed.
It was the caps on the power supply attached to the CPU.
Removed that power supply and found two bad caps. Easy to replace and the power supply boots right up as normal.

Sorry I never posted back the repair.  :duh:

Offline DF777

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • DF777 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 11:27:28 AM »
The caps I change are C412 and C42 10V 1000 ufd. They usually have a bulged top. Hope this helps.

Thank you,that helped a lot. I did notice a bulge at the top on the one that is in the C42 position.
My other machine has a different 24v power supply with a totally different circuit board and what appear to be capacitors
are marked 35v 1000uf ?
It works fine so I'm not messing with it.

Offline danny1212

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • danny1212 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 10:57:48 PM »
Hey guys, I ve been dealing with this issue for over a year, I recommend first go tru the components, make sure the MPU power supply is good, the fans, the video card, ram memories, and any visual inspection that could tell if anything is wrong, if all is good, then you have a issue with the mother board somewhere, Now I am fixing them and so far I have a rate of 9/10 MPU's already fixed and back to work. Feel free to contact me.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal