New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 3802 to 3902 swap questions  (Read 4218 times)

Offline nateccnn

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • nateccnn New User has no influence.
  • NLG
3802 to 3902 swap questions
« on: July 07, 2016, 04:56:33 PM »
I have a few older 13 inch upright game kings with a 3802 boards.  I am toying with buying a 3902 board to gain access to more game options.  I did a few e-bay searches and it looks like there's more than one type of 3902 board.  I see some that are 3902/044.  Then I see where some are i2000.  Too much for a newbie...LOL

I went into this assuming I could not go to an 044 board.  Won't fit the 13 inch cabinet and backplane is different...right or wrong?  Does switching to a 3902 board some how give me options applicable to the 044 board's options?

I found a 3902 board and tray with Frog Prince game installed.  Will this reel type game work on a game king with buttons for hold, not buttons for lines?  My wife really enjoys those types of games so if it works that would be fun to own.  It doesn't have to be Frog Prince but she likes those games with lines and bonus rounds.

Based on my goals...what would you do and where would you buy from?  So many vendors.  I think I'd rather use a vendor than an e-bay but not sure why.

Will I need a new key chip for the 3902 board or will my key chip from the 3802 board work? ( I think its a key22)

Is that enough questions for today? 

Nate

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: 3802 to 3902 swap questions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 08:11:54 PM »
You can use 3902 boards in your 13" GK cabinets, almost plug and play.  You will most likely have to make some video position adjustments on your monitor, but that should be about it.  3802/3902 boards use the same backplane.  044 boards are the newest in the I-game/GK+ series of machines and use a different backplane (motherboard) than the 3802/3902 boards.  AFAIK IGT didn't make a 044 compatible backplane that will fit in the older 13" cabinets, so that limits you to 3902 series boards/games. 

You can play I-game+ games like Frog prince in your 13" cabinet, but you will not have the top row of buttons to compliment the game.  This is not a big deal as the line bets on most games are also selectable via the touchscreen.  I think most people using these at home just hit "bet max" anyhow. 

As far as what keychip you'd need to use, it depends on what software you have installed on your 3902 board.   It could be 17/22/ or 40.   

We have several great vendors here.  Not all may have what you're looking for though, so it's best to post a wanted to buy ad for specifically what you're looking for.   Since you're not a contributing member the best way is to post a WTB ad  in the request for PSR, technical information, or WTB section and a moderator will move it to the classified ad section for you.

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 156
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 09:02:30 PM »
Awesome response Tilt! kudos!  :hail: :hail:
Email: Sales@CentralValleySlots.com

Offline nateccnn

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 10:59:01 AM »
Digging up an old post here.  I was going to swap my 3802 to a 3902 board way back when but everything was working great so decided to not do it.  Now the board is blown so I have to do it. 

Tilt answered my questions relative to the board itself.  Now I wonder can I use my old software chips?  What all do I have to get in addition to the 3902 board?  Sound boards?   Key chips?  I understand the key chip is related to the software I use.  If my old software works on the new board then I use my existing key chip?

here is a picture of my 3802 board with software installed.

Thanks again,

Nate

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 11:51:30 AM »
Everything will work the same.  Just remove the game software and install it on the 3902 and you'll be back in business.

Offline nateccnn

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 12:07:05 PM »
OK.  Board ordered.  Should be here Saturday. 

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.
  • Bally 873; Game King 3502/3902; Atari System 2
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 12:49:30 PM »
Hi!

I recently swapped a 3902 board into my Game King manufactured in 1998. The 3902 is a newer board than the one that was in my machine. It worked fine for 2 days, then the machine started resetting at different times and would get stuck in a reset loop. It seemed like the resetting got closer and closer to the bill validator check, but other times it would just reset early at the same time. At one point, when I kept the door open, the machine successfully started and I was able to play a few games, but then it reset again.  :banghead:

I put the original board back in and, aside from the games reverting to the default setting, the machine behaves as if there was never a problem. The 3902 issue is not a compatibility problem, right?  :Scratch-Head:

At first, I thought it couldn’t be a problem with the board because it worked for a couple days, but is that within the realm of possibility?

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 01:19:50 PM »
I would look at the power supply for those kinds of issues.  The 3902 uses a bit more and it might just be enough to cause the issue.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
  • smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »
Thanks Rick!

I'll check that.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 11:16:39 AM »
I would look at the power supply for those kinds of issues.  The 3902 uses a bit more and it might just be enough to cause the issue.

It seems that the power cycling is specific to the 3902 tray I'm using. I have several, but only two cause that situation. I'll try swapping the chips with a different tray and see if it still happens—I'm guessing it won't.

Offline pinshoppe

• Reputation Power: 1
  • pinshoppe New User has no influence.
  • NLG
    • The Pinball Shoppe
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 01:38:18 PM »
Along the same line, i had a 3802 power supply crap out and theres no part number on it.  can i use any 3902 power supply in it? :Scratch-Head:

Offline Ken

• Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 142
  • Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 02:19:36 PM »
I saw someone post about a 3802 power supply earlier. I could tell the frame was different than what's on a 3902. I use to find 9090 power supplies in GK but I run them on 9000, 9001 or 9003 without problems so there are more pins in these than the 9090s.

I have attached pictures. Maybe it might help.

Thanks,
Ken

Offline pinshoppe

• NLG
    • The Pinball Shoppe
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 01:28:51 PM »
thanks for the reply, at least i know if i blow up the 3802 board with a new power supply, i can put in a 3902 mpu hahaha

Offline Ken

• Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 142
  • Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 02:13:50 PM »
The 3902 power supply won't work. Another post it was mentioned that the connector is offset.

Offline pinshoppe

• NLG
    • The Pinball Shoppe
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 10:19:13 AM »
thats not a problem, the input connector has wiggle room

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal