New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 2 660 CPUs for one game  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: 2 660 CPUs for one game
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2023, 10:14:45 AM »
It's been a while since I've installed a blank set.  Best I recall is I wiped the cabinet memory and NVRAM with Ekey 7 and Diag.  Then when the machine booted I up went through the initial setup process and started enabling the games that were installed on the HDD.

The only difference between a new installation is I wasn't starting with a wiped HDD too, so I didn't have to install the OS or the games.

Offline T

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • T New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2023, 10:59:48 AM »
It's been a while since I've installed a blank set.  Best I recall is I wiped the cabinet memory and NVRAM with Ekey 7 and Diag.  Then when the machine booted I up went through the initial setup process and started enabling the games that were installed on the HDD.

The only difference between a new installation is I wasn't starting with a wiped HDD too, so I didn't have to install the OS or the games.

yeah, thats the thing being it is some big time between doing this stuff I forget how it was done. I have finally started to write things down. I cant depend on memory...Will give it a shot and see what happens. I will write it down...Thanks for your help on this. I do appriciate it

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2023, 08:16:44 PM »

yeah, thats the thing being it is some big time between doing this stuff I forget how it was done. I have finally started to write things down. I cant depend on memory...Will give it a shot and see what happens. I will write it down...Thanks for your help on this. I do appriciate it

Oh boy, i been messing around on and off most of the day with my G23. I keep getting "Recoverable error' Cabinet memory error. I could not get to the Diagnostic key to work right. The volitile memory was grayed out. Finally, i inserted both 7key & Diagnostic key and volatile memory was not grayed. I thought great i got it now. No such luck. Keep getting a error when trying to clear upper cabinet memory. so, i looked closely at the eeproms that were in machine originally. The main number is the same but other numbers are different. i have no idea if this matters or not. Tired of messing with it. i think i will put the original EEOROMS back in and try to clear. May be a few days before i get back to it. what a pain!! Wish I was more in tune with these machines.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2023, 08:44:29 PM »
Can you post pics of the EEPROMs you bought as an additional set for your machine?

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2023, 09:34:54 PM »
Can you post pics of the EEPROMs you bought as an additional set for your machine?

Yeah, i will take picts and post them. it seems this may be the issue. May be a day or two before i can get back to it. thanks for following this

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2023, 09:24:45 AM »

Here are a few Picts of EEPROMS

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2023, 08:39:39 PM »
Those look identical to the ones I've been using. Try using another pair from the batch.  Sometimes these knockoff chips from China aren't the best quality.

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2023, 09:11:31 PM »
Those look identical to the ones I've been using. Try using another pair from the batch.  Sometimes these knockoff chips from China aren't the best quality.

thanks for looking. i will try that.

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2023, 06:24:44 PM »

ok, finally was able to get a little time to get back to the beast. Tilt: You were spot on. When i replaced the two EEPROMS with new ones everything went very smooth. Thanks for your help on this.

ok, so now, if i were to pull the Family 14 MPU out along with the two EEPROMS, I can then install the Family 20
MPU with the two EEPROMS that were pulled with Family 20 MPU, fire up machine and all is good right? Ready to play!! Just like or similar to the 044 that folks were doing (me included).

Alright, the only other thing is Tilt, you talk about a socket to put the EEPROMS in. Those little EEPROMS are a bear to get in place properly. I can certainly see where a socket would help. Do you have a picture and / or serial# so i can get the proper one? I tried looking on Amazon but there is a lot of items there. I assume from what you are saying there is no soldering involved right? More so a plug and plug easy in / out of EEPROMS.

Tilt, i really do appreciate your help with this. This obviouslys makes changing out systems way easier. Thanks again. Awesome help my friend

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2023, 06:58:07 PM »
Glad to hear that took care of the problem for you  :applause:

That's correct.  Keep the two EEPROMs "married" to the MPU together and that's all it requires to seemlessly swap MPUs.  Make sure you put them back in the same socket they came out of.  Label them however you want Top/Bottom, 1/2, Upper/Lower, or use the U(X) designation on the backplane.  Whatever works for you so you keep install them in the proper socket.

As far as the socket goes, here's a link to one from Digikey, but you can get them from many parts houses. No soldering.  Just put the EEPROM in the socket, and then put the socket in the backplane. 

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/amphenol-cs-fci/DILB8P-223TLF/4292069?s=N4IgTCBcDaICIEkAyAhAHABQLRjAZgBUkAxEAXQF8g

Hope that helps.

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2023, 09:20:49 PM »

That's correct.  Keep the two EEPROMs "married" to the MPU together and that's all it requires to seemlessly swap MPUs.  Make sure you put them back in the same socket they came out of.  Label them however you want Top/Bottom, 1/2, Upper/Lower, or use the U(X) designation on the backplane.  Whatever works for you so you keep install them in the proper socket.

As far as the socket goes, here's a link to one from Digikey, but you can get them from many parts houses. No soldering.  Just put the EEPROM in the socket, and then put the socket in the backplane. 

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/amphenol-cs-fci/DILB8P-223TLF/4292069?s=N4IgTCBcDaICIEkAyAhAHABQLRjAZgBUkAxEAXQF8g

Hope that helps.

yes, it does help. Thanks again for all your help. i got some ordered. this most certainly will help as i really like both the family 14 & family 20 games

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
  • Reputation Power: 174
  • Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!
  • "Get busy livin, or get busy dyin." -Andy Dufresne
    • Yoeddy's Slot Machine Videos
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2023, 09:19:26 PM »
Ok, so I bagged the Family 20 project, and I’m going to stick with Family 14 for my G23.  I now have 2 660 CPUs with the same 1TB SSD, both have dedicated video cards, and both have 4GB of RAM.  I have a set of 2 backplane EEPROMs for each CPU.  It works flawlessly.  Power the game off, remove the 2 EEPROMs from the backplane for CPU A, and remove CPU A.  Install the 2 EEPROMs on the backplane for CPU B, and install CPU B.

Up and running!  Takes 10 minutes.  It’s nice to have 2 completely different configurations with different games that can be swapped that fast.

Thanks,
Jason

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and win one meellion dollars!!!

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2023, 09:44:08 PM »
To quote Dire Straits, "That ain't working, that's the way you do it."  Enjoy  :cool_thumb_up:

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
  • Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2023, 09:45:55 PM »
To quote Dire Straits, "That ain't working, that's the way you do it."  Enjoy  :cool_thumb_up:

Right you are, amigo!

Jason

Offline RobinAK

• Reputation Power: 25
  • RobinAK New User barely matters.RobinAK New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2023, 07:42:55 PM »
Ok, so I bagged the Family 20 project, and I’m going to stick with Family 14 for my G23.  I now have 2 660 CPUs with the same 1TB SSD, both have dedicated video cards, and both have 4GB of RAM.  I have a set of 2 backplane EEPROMs for each CPU.  It works flawlessly.  Power the game off, remove the 2 EEPROMs from the backplane for CPU A, and remove CPU A.  Install the 2 EEPROMs on the backplane for CPU B, and install CPU B.

Up and running!  Takes 10 minutes.  It’s nice to have 2 completely different configurations with different games that can be swapped that fast.

Thanks,
Jason

May I ask what was wrong with running 20 on the G23? Curious because I'm about to get a second cabinet to run FAM20. I really want to jump to the a Crystal cabinet though.

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2023, 07:48:25 PM »

Thanks,
Jason

May I ask what was wrong with running 20 on the G23? Curious because I'm about to get a second cabinet to run FAM20. I really want to jump to the a Crystal cabinet though.

The Fam20 games aren’t designed for the CPU and video card in a 660.  Lobstermania 3 runs ok, but for an OCD guy like me, when I see choppy graphics and stuttering sound, it’s game over for me.  I don’t want to have to talk myself into liking games that run like crap.  Bottom line…those games are meant for the horsepower that a Crystal offers.  But for some, it may not be a big deal.

Thanks,
Jason

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2023, 08:08:07 PM »

Thanks,
Jason

The Fam20 games aren’t designed for the CPU and video card in a 660.  Lobstermania 3 runs ok, but for an OCD guy like me, when I see choppy graphics and stuttering sound, it’s game over for me.  I don’t want to have to talk myself into liking games that run like crap.  Bottom line…those games are meant for the horsepower that a Crystal offers.  But for some, it may not be a big deal.

Thanks,
Jason

You are correct Jason. A few of the games do react as you describe. The little I have noticed on my system (same as yours it looks like) It does not bother me. All in the eye of the beholder I suppose

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2023, 09:16:28 AM »

Hope that helps.

Tilt, i received the sockets. I have the Family 20 cpu and eeproms set aside (running family 14 at time being) I put the family 20 eeproms in the sockets. My question is: How are you doing the sockets i.e. are the sockets changed out along with the eeproms each time or are the sockets always left in place or what? Thanks Tilt

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2023, 10:07:22 AM »
No.  What I do is like you did with the family 20 eeproms.  Put them in sockets and when you're ready to install them plug the whole thing into the backplane socket.  So you have an eeprom in a socket plugged into backplane socket.  That makes removal and installation much easier as you can do it by hand, no need to pry it out, and if you bend or break a pin you can just put the eeprom in a new socket.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal