New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally (E873-4) restored  (Read 577 times)

Offline Spitto

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Spitto New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally (E873-4) restored
« on: May 21, 2023, 04:17:25 PM »
I recently picked up a 3-reel, 5-line pay Bally slot machine nearby from a craigslist ad.
I've been an avid reader on this site but am now happy to contribute a success story.
This EM has a Bally badge that says 873 that may not be exact. September 1981.
It pays from the left or right and has a 2000 coin jackpot, so I think it's an early E1212 in a 873  cabinet.

It's 16" across the window frame like my 742A, not 19" like the later E machines.
Maybe someone can enlighten me but I think it's an E873-4.
I've been a mechanical slot mechanic for 20 years so some of this is familiar.

The machine took coins but tilted out and all reels spun freely.
Error 41.

After getting some manuals on the K-lar site and other manuals and help from the folks at coinslots.com,
I learned that the E series machines have an MPU. I love the built-in tests!
I cleaned and lubed the linkage and that made a difference but still 41.
Running test #5, the display and symbol positions were not lining up.
All 3 readers behaved slightly-off and didn’t line up so I didn't suspect one was bad, yet.
I checked voltages and continuity and ran the tests.
A couple of slightly low voltages but over all, OK.

Eproms can fade over a few decades so I bought new M chips from coinslots.com. No luck.
Then I popped off the socket when removing an M chip. Duh. Error 7, eprom.

I shipped my boards and readers to K-Lar.
They replaced my reader decoder board, my power supply was updated, game and M chips replaced (again),
the main capacitor was replaced in my I/O board, he fixed the eprom socket I accidentally tore off, and everything else tested fine.

After re-installing, I put in a coin and pulled the handle.
The machine tilted out then the reels free spun and the display had just slashes.
Test 5 didn't see the symbols. I quickly learned how to replace Molex pins. (get a good crimper and extractor)
Still no cigar.

Back to the coinslot.com dudes.
We decided to try a different M chip set.
After trying a couple of sets, they remembered a similar E machine
that they had the same problem with until they put early M chips into it.
They sent me 2 new sets.
The first set took a coin, the reels stopped and the display read 0_000.
Then the insert coin (insert 5 coins) light didn't come on. (not the bulb w/ test 2)
Nothing but zeros on test #5.

The other EARLY set was very promising.
The first 2 reels stopped and an error message of 43 was on the display as the machine tilted and the 3rd reel free spun.
BUT... test 5 worked.

I moved the reader from 3rd to the 2nd position and got an error 42. Then an error 41 when in the first reel position.
Bad reader.
The bad reader passed test 5 but tilted the machine. It also passed the bench test at K-lar. ???

I ordered a 50V reader from coinslots.

I installed it and......

I GOT LIFT-OFF!!!

I replaced the original cooling fan too with a quiet (28db) but efficient computer fan.
It fit perfectly and the included screws just fit.

There were moments that I thought I might have bought a beautiful boat anchor but I think the hunt is better than the kill sometimes.
I felt confident that I'd have a positive outcome after reading stories here on NLG and because of the folks at coinslots.com and K-Lar.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 06:35:32 PM by Spitto »

Offline pearson28

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • pearson28 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Bally (E873-4) restored
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 01:08:29 PM »
Thanks for posting this. Us newbies appreciate learning from your experience and effort. I know I'm going to be running into some of those same problems at some point. I also learned about coinslots.com!

:thank_you:
Bally 4 reel model: E2000 $.25 3 coin multiplier, 197?
PO modified & removed progressive

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal