New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: RGB 1401 IGT Silver Jubilee Video Slot  (Read 1695 times)

Offline freds

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • freds New User has no influence.
  • NLG
RGB 1401 IGT Silver Jubilee Video Slot
« on: May 24, 2023, 02:19:28 PM »
I have an early 1980's video slot. It has an RGB #1401 monitor. It has vertical collapse. I have done a few simple cap kits for monitors with no problems. I have done caps on this and also the hot transistors and a video chip. Still have same problem. Anybody have some guidance or maybe a lead on a chassis. Tube is still good. Thanks for any replies.

Offline Chris-socal

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 39
  • Chris-socal Is working their way up.Chris-socal Is working their way up.Chris-socal Is working their way up.
  • Keep tinkering until it works!
Re: RGB 1401 IGT Silver Jubilee Video Slot
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 11:17:43 AM »
I am no expert but I have an RGB stuck in shut down that I have been researching. The big white resistor is notorious for failing open, I would check all of the larger 1w resistors on that board just to verify none are open. Check the vertical size pot too and follow the trace to verify all solder joints are good. There is a partial schematic for the 1401 in the file system.
Hopefully someone with more experience will jump in here. At least your flyback is working.

Chris

Offline freds

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 04:19:31 AM »
Thank you Chris-socal for the response. I will check along the vertical line. I did reflow the chassis. I have a feeling it is something simple.

Offline Richard S

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Richard S New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 04:39:58 AM »
I have an early 1980's video slot. It has an RGB #1401 monitor. It has vertical collapse. I have done a few simple cap kits for monitors with no problems. I have done caps on this and also the hot transistors and a video chip. Still have same problem. Anybody have some guidance or maybe a lead on a chassis. Tube is still good. Thanks for any replies.

Is this a 1401A or 1401B? There isn't much difference in the vertical circuit, but there are power supply differences.
Is this a new problem or did it start off with vertical collapse?

Have you checked the vertical output transistors, Q134 and 138?
Do you have a vertical drive signal at the base of Q134?

Depending on where you are located, you could send the chassis to Alan at KLAR (Badbaud, on this site), or contact him to find out if there is someone near you who can repair it.

Offline 4evervintage

• Registered Unknown Member 0-2 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • 4evervintage New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 09:17:22 AM »
Thanks for your reply Richard. This is marked as 1401a chassis. The chassis on this 1401 is not mapped. Maybe they are not mapped. What is the location of Q134 & 138 ? I have tried some component changes. I am not familiar with crt repair. I have done a few cap kits. The board in this was repaired by Klar. It worked fine for 3 years then went vertical collapse. It plays blind. I was hoping to resolve this myself. Only have a multi-meter for troubleshooting.

Offline Richard S

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 11:01:55 AM »
I don't have a 1401A handy, but attached is the layout of 1401B which, as I recall, is close, except the the 1401A uses a different voltage regulator (LM723 instead of STR30123).

Offline Chris-socal

• Chris-socal Is working their way up.Chris-socal Is working their way up.Chris-socal Is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 01:05:53 PM »
Are the vertical ICs on these as subject to failure as the 7 pins used in other monitors? If I recall it’s a 14 or 16 pin IC on the left side and it isn’t a common IC. TDA2530 I think.

As you troubleshoot there can be variations but the concept of operation is the same. I have a 1401 that varies from the schematics that I posted a few weeks ago, the schematic shows two components in some sections but my board only has one. Not sure if that is a difference between A&B, newer version or design for different environment.

Either way, vertical collapse is likely to be a shorted diode, open resistor, shorted cap, Vertical IC.

To clarify, Vertical Collapse means you have a thin line going across the width of the screen, not a line going up and down. H collapse is less common but it does happen.

You are lucky to have this problem because you know the flyback works.

Chris

Offline freds

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 04:20:27 AM »
Here is a pic of the chassis. I have replaced the 2 transistors along the heatsink. I have replaced the TDA chip and the LM324 ic's. I saw no physical damage to any other components. The caps have been replaced.  The collapse is a horizontal line so vertical collapse. I have not replaced any resistors or diodes.

Offline Chris-socal

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 06:46:58 AM »
I could be wrong but it looks like the insulator behind the HOT has slipped out.
I would definitely check diodes and those big resistors.

Offline Richard S

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 01:10:00 PM »
I could be wrong but it looks like the insulator behind the HOT has slipped out.
I would definitely check diodes and those big resistors.

I agree that the insulator does not appear to be behind the 2SD478 transistor on the left, but that is not the Horizontal Output Transistor. Instead, it appears to be one of the two vertical output transistors. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post I don't have 1401A chassis handy - and the parts layout is missing from the RGB 1401 manual that I have.
The schematic shows the vertical output transistors as being 2SD386, not 2SD478. They are similar, but the 386 has a higher gain. That is unlikely to change the symptom.

If that transistor is not properly insulated from the heat sink, it may be the cause of the lack of vertical deflection.
Easy to check by checking the resistance from the collector of the transistor to the heat sink. Should not be low.

Offline Chris-socal

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2023, 11:20:56 PM »
Oh shoot we have pics of two different monitors here. Yes, whatever that is with the slipped insulator needs to be addressed.
Interesting timing, I am currently watching a video on Youtube by Arcade owner Mike. He is working on a 13” with vertical collapse. Not RGB but concept is the same. He found two diodes shorted and an open resistor.
Attached is a cleaner expansion of the vertical circuit.
I recently uploaded a full manual and schematic for 1401.

Offline Richard S

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2023, 03:41:28 AM »

Thanks for the upload.
I'm relatively new to this site, so novice question:
Where do I find that manual?

Thanks

Offline freds

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2023, 04:54:16 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I have taken care of the insulator that slipped out. When I get a chance I will replace diodes and resistors in the circuit. If there is a resolution I will post it.

Offline Chris-socal

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2023, 10:00:32 AM »

Thanks for the upload.
I'm relatively new to this site, so novice question:
Where do I find that manual?

Thanks

You need to be a contributing member, or make a one-time contribution. There will be a button up above that says NLG File System.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal