New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: FINALLY! Getting a Bally 889 Delivered Today  (Read 3052 times)

Offline slcjeeper

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • slcjeeper New User barely matters.slcjeeper New User barely matters.
  • NLG
Re: FINALLY! Getting a Bally 889 Delivered Today
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2022, 08:11:38 PM »
Yes, those are the fastblink bulbs. I'm just a collector of Bally machines and don't sell anything.  I have the same model machine with identical top and reel glass that I'm currently refurbishing and that's how I found those bulbs. I like my machines to look original but sharper lit if I can without it look in like LEDs have been installed.
Bally 742A-240, 742A-107B, 785-ZP, 809-B, 831-R, 873-K, 1113, 1239-E, 1256-E, V2236-10, V2096-47, S5000+, V5000+, S5500, S6000, IGT PE, Flip-It, Jennings 400, WMS BB1 Goldfish

Offline Danial

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Danial New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2022, 08:16:00 PM »
Ah, perfect, ok.  Well I do appreciate the assist here.  I have the companion dime machine (5 line, 922-C) I'll be working on next so I'll be purchasing enough bulbs for both.  They'll look great sitting side-by-side in the game room.  Have a great evening.

Offline off-track

• Reputation Power: 22
  • off-track New User barely matters.off-track New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2022, 09:13:58 PM »
The manual only shows #44 bulbs in a 889 but your picture looks to have two different bulbs.  The thin ones are the #44's and the round ones are flashers.

The line count unit should have two solenoids.  The one on the top is the reset coil.  There should be another on the lower side.  That is the step-up coil.  The location is indicated by the arrow on the attached.  I can see the coil base plate but it isn't clear to me if there is a coil winding??

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2022, 03:03:37 AM »
47, 44, 55 and 455 are all 6V lamps with bayonet bases. 

47 is dimmest, 55 is brightest, and 455 is a flashing lamp.  While a 55 is bright, it is also hot and tends to burn/crack the ink eventually.   Incandescent 455's are hard to find these days ... they stopped making them a few years ago.

44 and 47 have the tubular dome/cover, while the 55 and 455 have a more ball-shaped dome.  There shouldn't really be 55's in the machine, but ya never know what someone put in there and they'd work.  Your round globe lamps could be 55 or 455's ... the number is printed or stamped on the base.

the one issue with using bare/exposed LED's like the 455's substitutes is they can hot-spot a little.  Without the cover to diffuse the light, you get more pinpoint lighting.  Probably not an issue with a flasher tho, and if sjcjeeper says they are ok, I'd go with the recommendation.

the flourescent light tubes can also be replaced with led tubes.  Some just plug in, most require removing the ballast and starter.  I'd get the kind that you remove the ballast and starter ... less stuff to fail down the road.   

Offline Danial

• NLG
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2022, 07:19:50 AM »
The manual only shows #44 bulbs in a 889 but your picture looks to have two different bulbs.  The thin ones are the #44's and the round ones are flashers.

The line count unit should have two solenoids.  The one on the top is the reset coil.  There should be another on the lower side.  That is the step-up coil.  The location is indicated by the arrow on the attached.  I can see the coil base plate but it isn't clear to me if there is a coil winding??
I'm hoping the bulbs will be all right.  The ones I ordered match the sockets in the machine and the description noted by SLC but I'll find out...grin...

I'll open the machine up again tonight after work and check that coil.  I compared it with a pic I found online and everything appeared complete with the exception of the question I had yesterday that was answered.

Offline Danial

• NLG
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2022, 07:24:57 AM »
47, 44, 55 and 455 are all 6V lamps with bayonet bases. 

47 is dimmest, 55 is brightest, and 455 is a flashing lamp.  While a 55 is bright, it is also hot and tends to burn/crack the ink eventually.   Incandescent 455's are hard to find these days ... they stopped making them a few years ago.

44 and 47 have the tubular dome/cover, while the 55 and 455 have a more ball-shaped dome.  There shouldn't really be 55's in the machine, but ya never know what someone put in there and they'd work.  Your round globe lamps could be 55 or 455's ... the number is printed or stamped on the base.

the one issue with using bare/exposed LED's like the 455's substitutes is they can hot-spot a little.  Without the cover to diffuse the light, you get more pinpoint lighting.  Probably not an issue with a flasher tho, and if sjcjeeper says they are ok, I'd go with the recommendation.

the flourescent light tubes can also be replaced with led tubes.  Some just plug in, most require removing the ballast and starter.  I'd get the kind that you remove the ballast and starter ... less stuff to fail down the road.
More good info.  And yes, will definitely be looking at an LED setup for that light tube. 

Offline off-track

• Reputation Power: 22
  • off-track New User barely matters.off-track New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2022, 07:08:36 PM »
I'll open the machine up again tonight after work and check that coil.  I compared it with a pic I found online and everything appeared complete with the exception of the question I had yesterday that was answered.

The basic unit design is very common, used in a wide variety of EM machines and is also extremely common to have issues being gummed up/sticky over time.  The contacts on the other side may also need to be cleaned a little to help.  Attached is a picture of a cleaned up step-reset unit from a bally pinball machine for reference.

Offline Danial

• NLG
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2022, 10:49:59 PM »

The basic unit design is very common, used in a wide variety of EM machines and is also extremely common to have issues being gummed up/sticky over time.  The contacts on the other side may also need to be cleaned a little to help.  Attached is a picture of a cleaned up step-reset unit from a bally pinball machine for reference.
That is very clean compared to mine.  I see I have a bit more work to do.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2022, 01:33:35 PM »
because the steppers were used in pinball machines, there's lots of youtube videos on "cleaning bally steppers"

first pass is cleaning the rivets (synthetic steel wool/green scrub pad and isopropyl alcohol is fast) and making sure the wipers don't drag when resetting from step 1 and max step.  The wipers should whizz back to reset.

that's often all you need to do along with checking any switches on the unit, tho a lot of people like a really thin smear of lubrication on the rivets.

if someone has been in there with the wd-40 or other grease on the ratchet, then you get to take the thing apart.  Reset the unit and mark the wiper position ... it's possible to put the wipers on the ratchet two ways, and unless it's a continuous stepper unit, the wrong way will likely make you very unhappy.

Offline Danial

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2022, 06:59:51 AM »
because the steppers were used in pinball machines, there's lots of youtube videos on "cleaning bally steppers"

first pass is cleaning the rivets (synthetic steel wool/green scrub pad and isopropyl alcohol is fast) and making sure the wipers don't drag when resetting from step 1 and max step.  The wipers should whizz back to reset.

that's often all you need to do along with checking any switches on the unit, tho a lot of people like a really thin smear of lubrication on the rivets.

if someone has been in there with the wd-40 or other grease on the ratchet, then you get to take the thing apart.  Reset the unit and mark the wiper position ... it's possible to put the wipers on the ratchet two ways, and unless it's a continuous stepper unit, the wrong way will likely make you very unhappy.
When I open it back up this weekend to clean it, I'll get some better shots.  The first time I had it opened, it did appear as if some sort of dry lube like a graphite had been used but I'm basing that only on the discoloration I saw around the moving parts.

Offline Danial

• NLG
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2022, 03:58:45 PM »
Nice little care package came today, from Comet Pinball.  Fast shipping and reasonable prices!  Looks like I have something to do after dinner this evening - clean the contacts and replace a boatload of bulbs in the 889 and 922.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal