New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 5500 won't register credit  (Read 3128 times)

Offline DiverDan

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • DiverDan New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally 5500 won't register credit
« on: December 26, 2021, 09:46:55 PM »
Bally 5500 won't register a credit when quarter inserted. It makes it through the comparitor (only because I had to manually hold it open because it stopped working also), and the yellow light blinks on the optic board and the coin is sent into the hopper, but:
It doesn't register a credit so you can't play.

All of this started when I replaced the battery and PUT THE CLEAR CHIPS IN BACKWARDS (no scolding please....I've done enough myself;).
So, I ordered the U 3, 4, 12, and 15 (no need for clear chips) and inserted them.
The machine powered up just fine, the insert coin is flashing, but it doesn't give a credit when the coin is inserted.
With the door open, I can click the button on the optic board up to 3 times and hit play and the wheels spin and game seems to function normally.
But, close the door and insert a coin and you hear it enter the hopper but No Credit.....
Ideas???
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 10:07:05 PM by DiverDan »

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 164
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Bally 5500 won't register credit
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 06:40:59 AM »
Is the "Coin Mech" switch on the front of the MPU in the up position?

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 85
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
  • Power Supply and other electronics repair and help
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 09:40:17 AM »
Check the switch 1st, like Sunrise suggested.

Here is a link that explains the coin comparitor and optics for reference-

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=32977.0

If the coin comparitor does not allow the coin to go to the optics-
Bad sample coin
Sensitivity potentiometer adjustment
The solenoid that moves the armature (rake) is not working. Most likely cause - a bad 220uf capacitor on the coin comparitor pcb
Bad wire or connections on the coin comparitor, not the optics as your test works.
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline DiverDan

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 12:55:59 PM »
Yes, the switch is up (on).
  Do you really think that putting in the clear chip backwards made the capacitor blow?

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 01:58:21 PM »
No on the capacitor blow.

The common failure on the coin comparitor solenoid not working is a bad cap. Sometimes the solenoid/rake vibrates and make noise, or they go bad and don't work at all. It sounds like it worked before the battery and clear problem - the caps are old and go bad. The only problem a new cap would correct is the problem of having to
 'manually hold it open because it stopped working'

As for not putting credits on the machine - there are quite a few things that could cause that. Troubleshooting each thing that could cause the problem is where you are at now. More members with knowledge can help get you going. I have tried to help a few with the same problem and have not come up with any type of standard fix.

If the test works - then the signal from the optics PCB is good. The coin comparitor and the optics 'talk' between them from what I can tell. Some have fixed the problem by repairing or replacing cables from the coin comparitor. Some by software settings.
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 02:06:26 PM »
Any bent pins on the edge connector on the MPU?  Any bent pins on the new chips you installed.  Have you used clears chips on this machine before? 5500 Bally's don't normally use clear chips. They use a jumper on a set of pins. If it worked before battery change I would go back and check the things that were changed, maybe even another set of mains.

Offline DiverDan

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 04:01:52 PM »
The pins are fine. I've been using the clear chips on this machine for 2 decades now every time I change the battery. Unfortunately, This Time, I must have had a brain freeze and put all of the chips in backwards and that's the last the machine worked.
  I just purchased new clear and new leave in main chips HOPING that everything would work again....Unfortunately, it didn't.
Believe me, I know that coincidences happen but the odds that some problem happened at the Exact Time that I changed the chips have me at odds.
  I keep hoping that someone will be able tell me that since you put the chips in backwards, that caused A B C to happen and you just have to do X Y Z to fix it.....I said hoping, I should have said Praying...[;-D)
This machine has been here so long I would just hate to bring it to the dump.
  Thank ALL of you that are trying to help this old man<<<<He needs it;)

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 05:40:41 PM »
I understand your frustration.  I'm sure members here can help you get your machine working.
Putting the chips in backward would usually cause the chip to go bad. From my experience, doing one usually doesn't cause other damage to other devices. I'm not sure what putting 'all of them in backwards' would do. Could it cause other problems on the MPU? I don't know. The most likely reason the chips go bad when inserted 'backwards' is the power pin(s) are applied to pins on the chip that are not built/designed for that. Too much current would flow into a pin and damage the circuit internal to the chip, the chip would probably get hot/warm to the touch. If left in that condition long, the circuits could open up and the current would stop to flow, or the circuit would be shorted and pull current the whole time power is applied. Either way the chip is bad. Could that cause other devices to fail. Possibly. After removing the bad components and replacing with new, chances are the other devices may be ok, but you really never know until you find all the problems and repair.
As for problems happening at the exact time - hard to say. Electronic devices are built to operate under certain design parameters and if they are operated beyond those, the device has a good chance to fail. So on to what I believe are the 2 problems you are having.

1st - the coin comparitor dropping the coin into the tray instead of into the hooper. In normal operation,  with the machine initialized and ready to play and accept a coin, certain things must be satisfied- initialization must have completed, door(s) must be closed, etc. (Not only does the machine have to 'look' initialized and the door physically closed - the machine 'sensors' and wires, connections must be proper so the machine 'knows' everything is ok and ready to play). Because something was done to cause the machine to malfunction, it must be troubleshot to determine the cause of the malfunction.  New chips are a good start. Let's start with the assumption the MPU is ok for now.
You know the machine worked before the chip thing. The problem is - the machine will not accept a coin and put a credit on it for play. 2 main components control that function, the coin comparitor and the optics board. You are able to verify in the test mode the optics unit can send the signal to the machine and that functions. Good, the optics board is probably ok. (That is my 2nd problem I mentioned so let's call that ok for now). The coin comparitor will not allow the coin to pass to the optics. To troubleshoot that - the MPU must initialize and setup the coin comparitor for operation, to accept a coin, to basically, enable it. If that happened, a couple of things have to happen - the coin sensor circuit must see a valid coin, which in turn would turn on the solenoid to activate the 'rake', which in turn would allow the coin to pass to the optics. You said that does not happen so you had to manually hold it open to get the coin to go to the hopper, but the unit would still not put a credit on the machine. That tells me the coin comparitor is not working. My 1st thought is the machine is not ready for play. Maybe the coin comparitor is bad. I don't think the coin comparitor is bad - if the capacitor on the pcb was bad and not allowing the solenoid to energize, the coin would indeed be dropped to the tray. By you manually holding it open, that would be the same as placing a shim between the coil and rake to allow the coin to go to the hopper. But wait, could you have done that with the door closed? Possible, but I am going to assume you had the door open for that. So, that brings us back to whether the coin comparitor is enabled by the mpu.
Try putting a shim in the coin comparitor, shut the door and see if the coin goes to the hopper and the optics put a credit on the machine. Let's stop here for now and see what that test tells us.

I will also assume you do not have another machine to swap parts with. I will also assume you would rather not start buying parts that may or may not be bad. That leaves us with trying one thing at a time to try to determine the cause of the problem. Most logical, least expensive, easy to do, leading to the next thing to try.

I hope this helps. I get on these long winded posts at times. Bear with me, and others. My apologies if I am out of line. It's what I do.
Tony

Offline DiverDan

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 08:22:38 PM »
With the door open:
  I turn on the machine, the reels do their thing, the green light on the compairtor is off, and a yellow light appears on the 'coin optic board'.
I can click the button on the 'coin optic board' up to 3 times and it will give 3 credits which can be played as long as the door remains open. (If I close the door, the 3 credits get erased)

When I hold in the door switch (making the machine think the door is closed):
  The yellow light remains on the optic board, a green light turns on the comparitor, and the "Insert Coin" lights up and starts to blink.

I have a q-tip holding the rake on the compariator open because it now isn't opening on it's own. When I drop a coin in, it goes through the compariator and then the coin optic board and I see the yellow led blink (I assumed the optic board is what tells the machine to add a credit so I don't know if that little blink is a good or bad thing)

IF I actually close the door the machine does the Exact same thing as when I just hold the door switch except that you can now hear the quarter drop into the hopper instead of my hand.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 09:56:55 PM »
Sounds like the optic board with the yellow led is working.
The coin comparitor with the green led is working.

The deflector (see image below) I believe is the overflow deflector that causes coins to go to the chute when the hopper is full.
The solenoid for the 'rake' in the coin comparitor is not mentioned in the image below, which is the wiring diagram for the Bally S5500. That solenoid is not working as you need the q tip as a shim. That is controlled by the coin comparitor circuit (magnet) that compares the sample coin to the dropped coin. That is not working.

The coin comparitor sends the coin sense signal to the optics board, the optics board sends the coin credit signal to the mpu.

The optics coin credit signal gets to the mpu in the test mode, so that should be good. That leaves the coin sense signal 'missing' from the coin comparitor to the optics board. Or the enable signal from the mpu to the optics board is missing.
The deflector may or may not be working. It is controlled by the mpu. If the deflector was energized the coin would go to the overflow chute, so let's say that is ok.

So we have 3 things to check (or get working) to get a credit on the machine -
The rake solenoid > most common failures < are: 220uf cap, solenoid wires and connector.
The coin sense signal > most common failures < are: no sample coin or not installed correct. Bad device on pcb/bad pcb. Wires/connections.
The enable signal > mpu bad? Wires/connections. (I haven't worked on that signal before)

Almost sounds like the most logical problem is a bad mpu board with missing enable signal. Due to problem happening after chips installed backwards.
Or a bad comparitor. Coincidence?

That leaves a few options.
Buy replacement mpu or send mpu out for repair.
Buy replacement comparitor.
Try to check the signals with a meter to verify proper operation.
Check all the wires/connections for problems.

I've listed these in most costly to most time consuming/least costly.

I would start from the bottom up. I would check the wires/connections carefully. Then try to measure the 2 signals, enable and coin sense with a meter to see they change states when they should. (This may be harder to do as the door may need to be closed or maybe manually bypassed as you mentioned)
If these don't help, hopefully the knowledge gained would help determine if a replacement comparitor or mpu would need to be tried.

Let me know what you think. Maybe other member(s) have suggestions.
Tony

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 08:44:32 AM »
I have a 5500 machine . If you want to send the MPU, comparitor, and coin optics to me for testing, , PM me.

Offline DiverDan

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2021, 08:22:14 PM »
Thank You So Much for the offer, Sunrise. I'll keep that one in mind.
BTW: Do you know WHERE I could purchase a New Compariator or Coin Optic Board?
The only ones that I can find are on ebay and then you get old ones or take your chances for over $100 and that is JUST for the comparitor!

I've ordered new board chips and am just about at the end of my rope as far as pumping more money into this machine. Today it isn't even acting the same way that it was yesterday! Maybe when I calm down...[;-D)

Also, Do you have any idea why I can't access the NLG file system? I was hoping to download that large 5500 manual that could possible give me more ideas. I donated as a guest to the site but I still can't access.
I was hoping to get that 173 page manual (IF it is available). Perhaps there would be a more in-depth testing method that would give me a better idea before I just bring this Old Loved Machine to the dump:(
Also, perhaps I could figure out HOW to just wire the thing to work for free. I could then just purchase a separate coin acceptor from Amazon for 25 bucks and jury-rig it into the machine (like they do for video-game-consoles)

Anyway, Thanks Again for your offer.<<<Kind folk are rare these days.
Dan

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2021, 10:04:51 PM »
For a comparitor , check with NLG member Jim - Midwest slots. He sells parts.  As far as not getting a credit when the coin passes through the optics, could be the optics prism is dirty.  If it's not acting the same, you may have a bad power supply if it has never been changed. That is a common problem and could be all the cause of your issues. Very easy and inexpensive repair.  http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=1825.0       This is what I recommend.

Offline DiverDan

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2021, 11:48:12 AM »
Does Anyone know why I can't access the NLG file system?<<<I don't know if there is something that I am missing.
I'm trying to find the 173 page 5500 Bally manual. It MAY help me fix my ailing girl.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2021, 02:10:37 PM »
To access downloads and place classified ads - you would need to be a contributing member. That is basically a donation to the site for upkeep and costs. A benefit for contributing.  A one time donation or monthly $10 will get you access. Check the home page for the link (PayPal) then an administrator will give access and you can add the contributing member icon to your profile.
Tony

Offline DiverDan

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2021, 04:07:26 PM »
That's just it...I Made a $10 donation as a guest through paypal but can't download the manual...???

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2021, 04:34:37 PM »
PM   Joeylc     and see what he can do for you. I saw in another post he should be the person that takes care of the PayPal and access.

Donating as a guest probably won't supply them with your username.

I also know it does take some period of time to get access as it is not an automatic thing on the site. It would be done manually by one on the administrators/moderators.
Tony

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2021, 06:23:15 PM »
What information is on page 173 that will help you?

Offline BackToTheStart47

• Registered Unknown Member 0-2 Posts
  • BackToTheStart47 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2022, 03:46:24 PM »
Hi, My Bally's 5500 is experiencing the exact same issue.

The problem started when I cleared a coin jam with the door open while it was powered on.
Learned my lesson the hard way to not touch anything while its powered on. :duh:

I'm looking into replacing the optics board.

I will be here watching for a solution. I will also let you guys know if I had any breakthroughs.

Offline DiverDan

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2022, 08:04:42 PM »
I don't know what is on ANY page, Sunrise. I was just told by someone that there is a 173 page manual for the Bally 5500 that has EVERYTHING that I would need<<<Have No Idea if it is even true or not..

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal