New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Aristocrat Atlas-Esprit Multiple questions  (Read 3723 times)

Offline gwslotting

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • gwslotting New User has no influence.
  • Covid 19 at home: Midi music #1, Slot machine #2..
Aristocrat Atlas-Esprit Multiple questions
« on: July 11, 2020, 05:26:18 PM »

Hello, One day old new member. Very impressed with this website. Salute to all the volunteers and contributors.

I just purchased 2 non-working slots anticipating house-bounded due to covid-19 for another year! Yes, pessimistic. :CaptainHappy_worried: 
One Aristocrat, the other  Seaburg Williams (post another day).
Question 1 of 3 .....Need help identifying the Aristocrat and help getting a full service manual and schematic. 
 On June 2012, then new member named “D”offered his complete manuals and uploaded to members who asked for it.
 http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=18759.msg155786#msg155786
If mine is similar, maybe someone who is reading this post can help.

Service Manual No. 22 (export)
First Printed  MAY 1982REVISED  March '83
Service Manual MICRO PROCESSOR SLOT MACHINES
Question 2 of 3: .....From Feb 2020 to May 2020,  RemieSmith had several experts assisted in solving his EPROM issues.  Very impressive that the group helped him and he is willing to share with us updates.
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=9086.20
 Average eprom life is 5 to 15 years. These circuits almost 40 years old . I assume these game machines EPROM are on borrowed time. There are EPROM programmers and very user friendly software for sale to duplicate EPROMS before they fail. Complete new systems starting around $500. Worth the investment?
What are the risk of prying out still functioning EPROMS to make a master copy or even a few backups? Even one bit of data, if weak, will make backing EPROMS impossible without programming knowledge.
Question 3 of 3: ....  Can’t tell if the cash meter  / Void display rack is malfunctioning,  disconnected, or simply all the bulbs went out. Seller said at one point machine works until he left it turned off for a year. Photos show fuse holders, some with “normal fuses??” Without schematic, should they be festoon bulbs, 24 V or 12V.  How many watts max? Can modern LED fastoons be substituted?
Hope to share more after getting hands on service manual and schematic .  Thank You
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 08:41:00 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Op-Bell

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.
  • NLG
Re: Aristocrat Atlas-Esprit Multiple questions
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 10:29:29 PM »
I think you're jerowo7, the guy I just emailed and sent the manuals.
The festoon lamps are all driven by AC. You can try substituting LEDs but they may not be able to stand the reverse voltage.
If your program ROMs are 2716, there's hope - most EPROM programmers can at least read them. If they're 2708s, oh dear. Those suckers require three power supplies - 5V, 12V and minus 5V - and would need a special rig made to read them out.

Offline gwslotting

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 08:16:57 AM »
Op Bell. Thank you for the advice and the story on Aristocrat and IGT,  insider's story is always a treasure. :yes:

My unit is almost the same as your photo. Some difference

3 reels versus 5 reels. 
Two Beckman white chips versus blue (resistor arrays?)
2716 EPROMS labelled differently

You mentioned replacement chips on these machines are very rare. Would you suggest that I
(1) Re-assemble the unit and fire it up and see...

(2) Pull out the EPROMs, put them on my TL866II+ EEPROM Programmer  just to save and read the binary content. Never used a EPROM programmer before, but from the web sites such as , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeZDlz2F8GI,  it is not difficult. Probably I could not read the codes to tell the chip is corrupted, unless its all ff ff ff ff  :rotfl:

My main concern is how risky to pull 40 year old EPROM from 40 year old PC boards.  .

Thank You again Op Bell.

Offline gwslotting

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 08:34:56 AM »
On the issue of some replacement chips on this machine are very very rare, here's the other main PC board.   Wonder if I should pull critical chips to check on the EPROM programmer before re assemble the machine

Does the old saying " if it ain't broken, don fix it" apply here to 40 year old electronic circuit boards ?

Offline RemieSmith

• Reputation Power: 4
  • RemieSmith New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 08:00:43 AM »
Regarding your message about the EEPROM's, after all the work of getting the hex files, buying an programmer and getting replacement 2716's I found that my original EEPROM's sere still fine and needed not reprogramming. Unfortunately I never made a backup copy and I would not like to disassemble the machine again. Its working fine.

The biggest suggestion I can offer it replace the memory chips. OP-Bell  :applause: suggested replacing mine and that cured my startup issues. You can purchase Static CMOS RAM DIP-22 PCD5101 on eBay. You will need two but I would purchase 4. I found that some of the replacement chips still didn't work.

What exactly does your unit do when you power it on?

Offline gwslotting

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 09:10:01 AM »

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

I guess I am going through the same feelings of attempting to revive this machine.. worrying about the 2716. But I am so surprised they lasted 40 plus years... Your effort to prepare for 2716 re programming will not be wasted unless you plan to transfer ownership of the slot in the near future.

I posted

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=29071.msg153166#msg153166

about the challenges of programming the 2716.  You are so much more advanced in PCB and component level knowledge than I am, that I think you already know most of what I posted.   Yes, Op Bell is so helpful also.  If I ever get to take out the 2716, even if they have bit corruption, I will sure send you a copy of the codes.

I will power up the Aristocrat again, and observe what works and what doesn't.  I will replace the corroded nicad batteries, clean up the leaking mess on the PCB, and add extension leads so the batteries are now outside the mpu for ease of replacement.  Hard to tell ordering nicad from ebay, how long they will last or start leaking. I ordered the top of the line NiCad: panasonic (how old, no idea).

I will also study the manual , and with luck, be as successful as you are  :hail: in reviving a dead machine

Where are those memory chips you and Op Bell talked about, on the same PCB, or the other Main PCB?

I got stuck with only two slot machines, both dead and not popular  :banghead: . The other one even more rare, Seeburg Williams. No chips , PCB.. What a contrast, all relays and switches , so so many of them, like the roof top machine room of old building elevators, and incomplete manual.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:14:40 PM by gwslotting »

Offline RemieSmith

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 10:42:45 AM »
Attached is an image of the CPU board with the memory chips indicated

Offline gwslotting

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 07:52:50 PM »
Still collecting all the tools necessary to do PCB level diagnostics. Hope to power it up soon to see what works.

The manual keep reminding us to disconnect the MPU unit if using an Ohm meter to poke around.

What about ESD grounding while the power is still on.  If the chassis of Espriit is not the same as earth ground, then should my wrist ESD band, or ESD floor mat not be connected to the earth ground, (i.e. the wrist band clamp or the floor mat clamp actually plug into the ground of the household receptacle, with the other two prongs removed). The wrist band or floor map should just clamp to the metal chassis of the slot machine.   

Under normal PCB work,  connecting the ESD wrist band directly to the ground of the household power seem to provide the best ESD circuit protection

Offline RemieSmith

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 08:25:41 AM »
There is a grounding pin on the MPU board. I have been using the outlet earth ground to discharge static buildup. The mutli-meter is definitely a useful tool for testing supply voltages transistors and TRIACS.. The second most important is a digital logic probe.  You'll need the probe to insure the MPU address ad data lines are making contact with the ROMS/RAM and PIA chips.  Its important that the probe has a sound option so you get an idea of the frequency of the pulses

Offline gwslotting

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 08:35:36 PM »
Remie , I assume any logic probing, you actually remove the MPU board out of the metal MPU case, took all the ESD precautions, and then add 5V or 12 V power to the board as needed.

I have not got to that stage yet.  But I plan to use an Old PC power supply, which should give me all the 5V or 12V  power I need.

I ordered two used AM2716DC Eprom just for backup or experimentation. From Taiwan, he promised full refund if they don't work. But these look very old... a few corroded pins , (from Taiwan), then they ship it in non static white foam, and wrapped in a plastic bag.  Can't wait to see what's inside with my EPROM programmer.  But the one I have only goes up to 21 V, so may not read even if the chips are still good.  Have to get one going to 25 V.

My backup RAM chips are also on its way. But the guy from EBAY is not too friendly. I asked him about return shipping charges, and he said I should find one that sell chips that I can trust...I guess I offended him by implying his chips may not work..... :lol:

Offline RemieSmith

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 07:27:36 AM »
FYI regarding the EEPROM 25V verses 21V programmer. I have heard that often you can program the chips using 21VDC or you can shutoff  erase/verification and program the chips repeatedly using 21 VDC, supposedly this works.

Offline gwslotting

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 02:53:39 PM »
I will try it different ways, including substitute 2716 with 2732. I read many old arcade game IC repairs use this approach. For every line of code, just add the same line right below it... 2732 a lot more easier to get.  Well, maybe I will not need to get to this stage, in your case your 2716 works fine.

Offline Deanobrew

• When you stop learning, you stop growing.
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Deanobrew Hides in shadows.
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 02:25:45 AM »
***Warning-Newbie response***
gwslotting,
In response to your festoon bulb question, My Aristocrat Esprit machine has 24v 3watt festoon globes in the same position.
Dimensions were 6mm (Dia) x 36 (Length) S6 festoon.
But I did notice your PCB has a different part number to mine (My PCB# 312 111).
Looking at it wont fix it, but thinking about it logically before putting it into action will.

Offline gwslotting

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 01:19:14 PM »
Nice meeting you, Deanobrew

Thanks for the info on festoon bulbs. I have quite a few missing on my unit. I went to google and found a few suppliers. I took a gamble to buy from a vendor a batch that was a bit short in length, and I bought 20 of them.  They barely fit in between the two clamp holders of the bulb mount. Just barely. But works so far. Don't know if over them the expansion and contraction will made one end of the bulb bounce out of the clamps. Do let me know if you know vendors that sell the exact length.

Do you know much about troubleshooting these machine?  If you are interested, read my lastest separate post on my Aristocrat Espirit making loud grinding nose as the reels stop spinning. I am still trying to troubleshoot. Hope it is not the EPROM controlling the timeing...

Maybe your circuit board, (The MPU) is for another variation of the Espirit. They have so many variations. Do share some photos of the exterior and interior.

Take care
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 02:18:53 PM by shortrackskater »

Offline Deanobrew

• When you stop learning, you stop growing.
  • Deanobrew Hides in shadows.
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 05:30:14 PM »
Hey gwslotting,
Happy to help,

[/size]I have attached some pictures of my machine, along with a list of components I have just made for the components I replaced on my power supply board. At the bottom of that components list is the specs for the festoon globes and where I got them from. Im guessing you are not in Australia and may want to look a little harder before paying freight for some festoon globes.
[/size]
[/size]I did read your "Loud Grinding Noise" post.
[/size]
[/size]At one stage I was hearing a similar noise with my coin hopper when it was running uncontrollably, But now my machine is non responsive with the obvious things checked like fuses and microswitch positions, I've rebuilt the power supply board as well thinking the non responsive issue could be comin from there, but with no success. It has been quite a few years since this machine has functioned.

[/size]I'd be interested to hear your feedback on my machine and any advice you may have for trouble shooting the issues I'm having that are mentioned in my post.

[/size]Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 09:01:14 AM by shortrackskater »
Looking at it wont fix it, but thinking about it logically before putting it into action will.

Offline CustomWebProgrammer

• CustomWebProgrammer New User has no influence.
  • NLG
    • Automation Creations, Inc.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2022, 07:58:27 AM »
Remie , I assume any logic probing, you actually remove the MPU board out of the metal MPU case, took all the ESD precautions, and then add 5V or 12 V power to the board as needed.

I have not got to that stage yet.  But I plan to use an Old PC power supply, which should give me all the 5V or 12V  power I need.

I ordered two used AM2716DC Eprom just for backup or experimentation. From Taiwan, he promised full refund if they don't work. But these look very old... a few corroded pins , (from Taiwan), then they ship it in non static white foam, and wrapped in a plastic bag.  Can't wait to see what's inside with my EPROM programmer.  But the one I have only goes up to 21 V, so may not read even if the chips are still good.  Have to get one going to 25 V.

My backup RAM chips are also on its way. But the guy from EBAY is not too friendly. I asked him about return shipping charges, and he said I should find one that sell chips that I can trust...I guess I offended him by implying his chips may not work..... :lol:

GWSloting - did it work again after replacing the memory chips: Taiwan, eBay or other? And did you get down to the eeprom level? Because I'm there. Mine is a 1981 IGT Aristocrat that looks just like your photos.  It worked before I put it into climate-controlled storage, but not now, and I'd love to revive it.  I replaced batteries last night and didn't get anything other than flourescent light out of it: no self test, no LED display, no sound.  I'm thinking I need to go down your same path, and would appreciate your lessons learned (or advise me to haul it to the junk heap, which I'd hate, but honor).

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal