New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 1979 Bally Star Trek pinball trouble  (Read 4213 times)

Offline coincard

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • coincard New User has no influence.
  • NLG
1979 Bally Star Trek pinball trouble
« on: March 17, 2018, 06:05:36 PM »
Hey everyone,

This pinball thing is new to me so forgive me if I get the names of some of the boards wrong, I mess with EM slot machines so this computer driven thing is new to me. I bought this machine and the own said that the main board was bad and indeed there was a lot of acid damage to the board, the only thing it would do is that the mini bulbs in the back box and play field would light up so I replaced it with and Alltec ultra board.

I matched all the dip switches with the old board and put it in and still nothing has changed, So I then replaced the Solenoid driver board with and alltec ultimate driver board, put it in today and still nothing, all the lights on both ultimate board are green as they should be but still nothing.

Also the Score LED lights do not display anything except when you first turn it on I see a quick flash of what I think is #70 displayed and I can hear a click noise coming for a second from the transformer board, is the transformer board bad ? or where should I start....

Any help to get me going in the right direction would be a great help, I do not want to just keep replacing boards if they are not bad.... many thanks...

Dave

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: 1979 Bally Star Trek pinball trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 07:36:43 PM »
Dave..

How is the Power supply board? They go bad.. I think it's usually located on the side wall of the back cabinet.. I had a Bally Paragon and even the power supply plugs were messed up..

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline coincard

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 08:10:29 PM »
is that the one with the fuses and seems to go to the transformer ? if so that is the one I think I called the transformer board ? also if so it is the one that makes a quik clicking sound when first fired up...

Dave

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 09:14:26 PM »
That sound like it. It's a square board, 6 fuses, bridge rectifiers and a few plugs. If it's bad your game will not work.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline coincard

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 06:59:28 AM »
Thanks Gary, I was afraid of that, I have been replacing boards for nothing, will get a new power supply board and see what happens, I think after this I am going to stick to slots, many thanks

Dave

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 09:23:01 AM »
Thanks Gary, I was afraid of that, I have been replacing boards for nothing, will get a new power supply board and see what happens, I think after this I am going to stick to slots, many thanks
Dave
Dave,
I’ve ventured into pinball machines my self. My biggest problem was how much room they take up. If you can find them cheap you can make some good money with them. Shop around at different parts venders for for your boards. I got lucky when I bought the Paragon. The owner had bought a new set of boards, but never did the repairs. I loved that game, but being a wide body it took up extra room. The other one I had before Paragon was William High Speed. That’s a fun game
And remember...

Offline coincard

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 05:23:21 PM »
Thanks Gary, I already replaced the main board and solenoid driver board but from what I can tell it needs the transformer or power supply board and from looking at it I am not sure I am ready to try and do the soldiering that it will require to replace it, if i screw up I could burn everything else up, I think I am going to see if I can find a tech close by and maybe he will let me watch so I can learn a few things along the way.... many thanks

Dave

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »
I know what your saying. The power supply board I had needed to be assembled or setup for the game. I had two wires crossed on mine, but luckily it just blew a fuse. I quickly figured out my problem, swapped the 2 wires around and it was fine.
And remember...

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 01:19:31 PM »
Hello Gary,

Picked up a couple of EM pinball machines over the past few months.
Both not running for $160.

The Bally machine Odd Even I got going pretty fast as Bally machines are fairly sturdy.

The Chicago coin Cinema machine had a lot of issues, but I sorted them out and the machine is working good.
BUT there are a couple of issues that happen randomly. 1. The ball count skips now and then. 2. It skips to player 2, 3 then 4 with one coin in.

I’m thinking it’s has to do with the score motor cams or contacts a lot of miles on these parts.

Just thought I’d run this by you not knowing if you worked on any older pinballs with similar problems.

Thanks
Dave

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 02:15:20 PM »
Hey Dave.  I played with a couple older pinballs but that was years ago. I remember a reset unit that use to spin, and had different contact and switches on it. I seem to remember it would run a cycle after every ball or player? It’s possible that has a contact that’s barely touching causing it to arc or chatter. I’d had to see the game run. Sounds like you have one switch not opening up, the contacts too close together. As you know with the EM slot machine, it’s all about the switch timing. I think it worse on a EM pinball.

Go to this sight,  https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl

I think the had schematic and other information on a bunch or most pinball machines.

Is this your game?   https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=513&picno=480
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:34:06 PM by Amechanic »
And remember...

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 02:47:24 PM »
That’s the game Cinema 4 player.
Right the score motor cams are a bit worn and they wobble just a little.
I’ve adjusted and cleaned most all contacts. Its a fine balancing act to get the machine tuned to were it runs okay. Eventually I’ll get it into the sweet spot.

I have the schematic, but it’s small and not to much detail.

If you think of anything or come across a full size schematic I would appreciate your help.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 01:33:15 PM »
Gary,

I sprayed the back glass with the Krylon triple thick clear.
Worked out great, now the paint won't flake off.
Need to do some touch up here and there.

Most likely would do the same process on slot machine glass if need be.
Of course testing on a corner or broken glass first.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 01:38:47 PM »
Looks good👍  That clear will keep that glass nice for ever. I was never good at doing touch up painting. I never could get the colors to match.
And remember...

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 04:07:34 PM »
It’s going to be a challenge as it’s impossible to replicate silk screen printing with a brush.
Hopefully get it close enough that it looks good.

Doing a final cleaning of the score reels mechanism and installing new reel tapes numbers.
Will post photos later. Taking my time doing 4 a day.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 07:53:45 PM »
Photos of the score reels.
Cleaned with new numbers.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 10:12:11 PM »
Getting all that crap off the wiper board and wiper contacts has to help. David do you put anything on the wiper boards after they are cleaned? I have some contact grease I picked up from pinball resources. Small white bottle call PBR Grease or something like that, I’ll have to post a pic. I use it on my slots reel wiper boards and the stepper units. I don’t think it’s neant to be used on those style wiper boards and the hoppers. I guess I need to call Jon and pic his brain.
And remember...

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 05:39:06 AM »
I haven’t yet put any type of lubricant. Thanks for the info for the pinball lube.
Need to look into it to what is used on these type of score reels contacts.
On the score reel mechanism I’m trying Teflon.
On the slots I’ve been rubbing a light coat of 3 in 1 oil.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 09:39:29 AM »
I know Jon says 3 in 1 oil works fine..
And remember...

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 09:54:44 AM »
Right, back in the day only had 3 choices, 3 in 1, Vaseline or STP.

STP was the poor mans engine rebuilder.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal