New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT M Machine Motor Error  (Read 3770 times)

Offline mwade109

• It is always....
  • Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • mwade109 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
IGT M Machine Motor Error
« on: April 22, 2022, 02:56:26 PM »
Ok, so I am trying to repair this nice M machine for someone.  First I get a reel 1 issue, replaced the top spring for the stop solenoid and worked great.  Come back 24hrs later to play/test the machine and I get the same error except for reel 3, replace spring and life is good again. Go out there today (24 hours again) and I get this motor error.  Interesting, I go ahead and yank the big old reel assembly out yet again and put it on the bench. Everything looks good back where the motor is.  I go ahead and clean off the optic sensor and put it back in, turn it on and play it one time then bam, motor error.  Go ahead and shut off, turn on, open/close door, watch it go thru it's little diag and then it is ready to play, play once and....bam! Motor error after one complete play. Pull out assy again, everything looks good so I put it back in, get the same error and decide to see if I can get any ideas here. First, I decided to go ahead and give the reel assembly a little 'abrupt' push in (could have been frustration, could have been a diagnostic tool) and the machine has been working ever since.  I can't in good faith just give it back to the people assuming it mysteriously works now.  Any ideas? Could it just have been that it needed a 'nudge' after inserting even though the retention clips on both sides were in place?

Any help would be appreciated!
-mike
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 08:39:57 PM by mwade109 »

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: IGT M Machine Motor Error
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 05:11:29 PM »
Possibly?  How do the reel basket contacts look?  Maybe use some De-ox it or other contact cleaner on it.

Offline mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 07:29:16 PM »
Thanks, I just checked againI ran a few quarters through it and after the third pull, I got the motor error again.  I will pull the reels out again tomorrow and check the contacts, nothing stood out to me wheh I had it out before but I will clean the contacet just to make sure.
-mike

Possibly?  How do the reel basket contacts look?  Maybe use some De-ox it or other contact cleaner on it.

Offline mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 07:54:49 AM »
The contacts looked great (both male and female) but I went ahead and cleaned them anyway.  I was going to be busy for the weekend so I put the reel basket up on edge overnight and let some lube seep into the end of the cam that is there, then I did the same for the other end.  Also put a few drops on the gearbox shaft and left it on end, later today I wil look and see if it seeped in or not.

Can you or anyone explain how/when that motor runs? It seems that I get the error after the reels stop properly.  I swear the error popped up on it's own once about 30 seconds after the reels stopped.  Maybe if I understood when the motor runs I would be able to diagnose it better. 

Will post later and let you know if the lubrication helped at all.

-mike

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 08:45:40 AM »
The motor runs to make one revolution of the camshaft when you either press the spin button or operate the slot handle.  The optics let the MPU know when it has started and stopped. 

Here's what the manual states:

TILT CALL ATTENDANT(scrolling)
MOTOR ••• means that the cam shaft
(motor) did not complete the rotation,
stop in the correct position,
or that the motor optics are defective.

Check the optics and the motor brake for proper operation.

Offline mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 12:38:21 PM »
I cleaned the optics and the motor brake seems to work just fine.  I do not know how to test the optics.

The motor runs to make one revolution of the camshaft when you either press the spin button or operate the slot handle.  The optics let the MPU know when it has started and stopped. 

Here's what the manual states:

TILT CALL ATTENDANT(scrolling)
MOTOR ••• means that the cam shaft
(motor) did not complete the rotation,
stop in the correct position,
or that the motor optics are defective.

Check the optics and the motor brake for proper operation.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 12:46:12 PM »
There's a motor optic input test in the diagnostic tests.  Try testing it and see what the results are.

Offline mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 05:17:11 PM »
Ok, ok... so I am a bit slow but now I am back at the game.  The Motor test under inputs puts a 1 after the word motor, not sure what that means.  Here is what I discovered, the machine works great for a few spins.  Then it will get a motor error. If I look at (peek in through the front with a flashlight) the pulley with the blade that goes through the optics, I will see the blade has gone past where the optic can sense it.  Open & close the door, once, maybe twice and the error will go away and the pulley blade will be more centered in the optics.

Interesting.... any ideas?
-mike

There's a motor optic input test in the diagnostic tests.  Try testing it and see what the results are.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2023, 08:17:48 PM »
Inspect the motor brake.  It sounds like it may be worn or sticking.

Offline mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 01:17:32 PM »
Thanks, I went ahead and took a closer look and decided to replace the small spring on the brake, then, on what I will call the clutch, one of the rivets had come loose so I re-flaired the end of it, took off the end of the motor and cleaned/lubricated all areas of movement.  Machine is working great..... so far.  I like this old machine and usually after I get one going I go ahead and list it for sale, I think I'm going to move this one into the house (after I figure out how to turn off the annoying attract mode every one minute and 15 seconds, I think I saw a setting for it somewhere)and work it for 30 days.  If no new issues pop up, I will list it after that.

Thanks everyone for your help, hopefully you won't see any more issues with this machine.
-mike

Inspect the motor brake.  It sounds like it may be worn or sticking.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 02:37:10 PM »
Hopefully that will be the end of the motor errors.  You can turn off the attract mode in the options settings menu.

Offline mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2023, 08:29:51 AM »
Yeah, you would think it would be that easy, well, it did not make it into the house! So, I hit the test button till I get to options, hit cursor advance button until I get to the Attract option of which already says OFF. I figure what the heck, I'll turn switch it ON position, restart and turn it back to the off position, so I turn the jackpot key clockwise once and it changes to ON.  Not sure how to save it at that point as no matter what I did it always comes back up as OFF.  Is there a trick to saving the new setting?

Hopefully that will be the end of the motor errors.  You can turn off the attract mode in the options settings menu.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2023, 09:40:59 AM »
Here's the instructions for changing options settings from the manual.  Easier than typing it all  :Tongue_Out:

Offline mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2023, 10:43:45 AM »
Seems maybe my terminology is wrong with this machine.  Seems that all my other machines I have gone through, 'Attract Mode' pertained to some sort of music being played (that I am dealing with) but it seems that with this machine, Attract Mode seems to be limited to a scrolling message going across the led screen. So when it says ATTRACT MODE:OFF it is already correct, there is nothing scrolling on the leds.

Any idea on the annoying music?  If there is no way to turn it off (only the music while idle not the game sounds), if not I think I'll be forces to install a hidden switch to the speaker to turn the speaker off when not playing.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2023, 04:13:18 PM »
Well you got me with that one.  Mine is completely silent unless you play it.  Yours plays sounds constantly?

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2023, 04:21:40 PM »
This is probably the culprit.  DIP switches on the Tone Generator Board.  Check yours, attract mode is probably set to song instead of none.  Make sure DIP SW #8 is set to OFF.

Offline mwade109

• It is always....
  • NLG
    • Suffolk Amusements
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2023, 08:39:16 PM »
You are amazing!  The machine will be in the house tomorrow.  Yes, that dip switch wes ON, turned it off and no sound.  It wasn't constant music, it would start a song in a minute sixteen seconds then when that song got over it was quiet for another minute then another song.  There were several different songs.

Thanks again, I don't think I would have ever found that.

This is probably the culprit.  DIP switches on the Tone Generator Board.  Check yours, attract mode is probably set to song instead of none.  Make sure DIP SW #8 is set to OFF.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2023, 09:38:38 PM »
Well that's good news!  :applause: 

Glad we figured that one out.  I didn't realize that the other attract mode was just a scrolling message, so I learned something too.  I'll have to turn that option on just to hear the different songs this spring.  My M slot is in my unheated detached garage in Michigan and gets pretty angry when you turn it on in cold weather.  Kind of like kicking a hibernating bear in the ass or something.  It will give a bunch of spin errors, all "too slow".

Anyhow, you're welcome, glad to help!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal