New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally S5500 hopper doesn't payout  (Read 956 times)

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • kmarrocco New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally S5500 hopper doesn't payout
« on: January 05, 2023, 03:27:54 PM »
Hello, I have a Bally S5500 machine that I just got.  I've worked through a few issues to get the machine mostly working (new battery, reset/clear, changed coin comparator) but when I try to have it pay out in coins (nickels), it throws either a 31 or 32 error code.  I am wondering how many nickels I need to have in the hopper.   I have probably about 60 in there and am trying to pay out 5.  None come out.  I have also tried to run diagnostic 4d, and it doesn't pay out any and then sets an error code.  I think it was a 31.  When I press the buttons on the hopper control board the forward button allows coins to be fed out, but it throws an error code again after a short period of time.  Any ideas on what I could try next to get this resolved?  Thanks in advance. 

Offline Pinballwizard55

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Pinballwizard55 New User has no influence.
  • Pinball Wizard
Re: Bally S5500 hopper doesn't payout
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 05:55:47 PM »
Jiust a shot in the dark, check the coin optic on top of the hopper near where the coins exit from the hopper. Also look at your connections going to your hopper board.

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 09:17:33 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I took the coin out optics off to inspect them and then put them back on.   In the process,  I forgot which one went first and which one went second.  When I tried running it again with the FWD button it gave a 31 error.   I tried swapped the connectors to try the other way, and it gave a 30 error.   Would this mean that one of the optics (or the sensing circuit on the hopper board) may be bad?  The connectors looked ok with no damage or corrosion.

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 164
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 05:35:42 AM »
Did you clean the dust out of the optics? Is it dispensing coins and they are not being counted? Or is not dispensing any coins at all? In test mode you can see inside the hopper? Is this hopper setup for nickels? It's not setup for quarters is it?

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 06:34:58 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I did blow out the optics using compressed air.  When I press the FWD feed button it dispenses nickels but sets the error code as soon as the first one comes out.  I think it is set up for nickels but I am not entirely sure what to check on the hopper.   It does say 5c near the coin agitator but it also says 25c on the top handle (see pictures).  I did try to run it with quarters and it does not pick them up because they are too big for the track. 

When I run it with nickels and select test 4d, the hopper moves really slow and both the FWD and REV led lights illuminate intermittently.   Is this normal?

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 405
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 09:46:54 AM »
When I press the FWD feed button it dispenses nickels but sets the error code as soon as the first one comes out.

Which exact code do you get after one coin comes out?
See list I posted for you below.
Click on it to enlarge if needed...>>>
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 10:46:51 AM »
30 or 31, depending on which way I have the coin optics connected.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 02:23:05 PM »
It's too bad you don't have a real good hi-def photo of the all the colored wiring and the way you presently have them hooked up?

Maybe someone can spot a wire you might have on incorrectly?

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2023, 03:15:32 PM »
Here are some better pictures.

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 164
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2023, 06:06:51 PM »
I believe your hopper motor needs the commutator cleaned or the board is bad, along with possibility of a bad optic. The hopper will run with just one good optic. I will have to check what position in the optic holder bracket and which electrical connector on the board. I don't remember.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 06:32:58 PM »
Good pictures but which wire did you mess around with?

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 08:08:22 PM »
I didn't change any of the wires.  I swapped the two connectors from the optics with where they plug into the board to try it both ways because I couldn't remember which was which.  It gives a 30 error when pressing the FWD button upon the 1st coin being dispensed one way.  And when the connectors are swapped, the error is a 31 (also after the first coin is dispensed). 

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 08:43:20 PM »
On the photo I've attached below, I put a yellow circle around two connectors.
If you swapped these two connectors around with the power [ON], you've may have accidentally burned out the optics or a component on the circuit board.
Is this a possibility?
Try to remember to turn off the power switch when installing/removing circuit harnesses or boards or else things like to let out a little smoke.

:burningresistor:

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 08:57:39 PM »
No, I always turn the power off when disconnecting and reconnecting things.  In this case, I turned the power off then removed the hopper and then swapped the connectors.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal