New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: GameMaker 7217 bulbs  (Read 831 times)

Offline kcirrick

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • kcirrick New User has no influence.
  • NLG
GameMaker 7217 bulbs
« on: November 03, 2020, 03:36:21 PM »
I've been lurking this board for a while as I've been upgrading my GameMakers looking for ideas and solutions.  I thought it was time I contribute a bit.
I have a slant top and an upright GameMakers.  I've been wanting to change the old incandescent bulbs, half of which were burned out, to LED.  I used extra red, blue and green #555 LED bulbs bought for my pinball machine in the slant top, but I was dismayed to open up the buttons on the upright to find different tiny bulbs.
I had a hard time finding tin LED bulbs for this 7217.  All I could find was white - cool and warm - and the cost seemed to average near $5.  No thank you.  then I went to one of my pinball resources and bought #86 sized LED bulbs in white, green and purple for only $0.79 each.  These bulbs worked in the buttons of my upright GameMaker.  My only issue was that these were the only colors they carry.  These bulbs are actually meant for use in The Creature From the Black Lagoon pinball machine.
In the slant top picture you will also see the back glass I'm working on since such a thing doesn't exist for this machine.  I yanked all of the useless electronics, made decals that I stuck on the back side of a piece of glass I cut and sprayed over the decals with a frost paint.  Not professional, but much better than the ugly electronics.
Being new here, I'm unsure if I am allowed to post a link to where I bought these bulbs.  If anyone is interested, let me know if I am allowed and I will gladly share the link.
Sorry for the bad pictures.  They look much better in person.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: GameMaker 7217 bulbs
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 09:27:41 AM »
They look great! The button color really enhances the look; much better than white.
Yes you can list the parts source. Add the name with the link, as links have a tendency to vanish over time.
Thanks for sharing this information.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline kcirrick

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 07:55:17 AM »
Thanks.  Sorry it took so long for me to get back.

Here is the link to Comet Pinball where I bought the tiny LED bulbs for the upright Game Maker.  The bulbs I used in the slant top came from there too.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/86-smd-bulbs

There is a couple of things I should share.  I used the 555 wedge base bulbs for the slant top buttons, but there is a collar around the top of the bulb that makes it too wide to fit into the buttons.  I found I could easily peel that collar off so the bulbs would fit and it didn't affect the function of the bulbs at all. 

On both machines the bulbs were kind of loose.  The old incandescent bulbs had been in the sockets so long that the contacts inside sockets were permanently stretched out.  The base of the LED bulbs is not as thick as the incandescent bulbs.  It was a simple matter to just reach into each socket with a tiny screwdriver, (with the power off), and push the contacts closer together again.  I used that same solution when changing the landscape lights in my backyard from incandescent to LED.

It's a cool inexpensive little modification.  I hope this is helpful and enjoyable for people.

Offline kcirrick

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 08:15:52 AM »
Oh, and Comet Pinball was excited to see how I used their bulbs.  I had lamented that the tiny bulbs didn't come in more colors.  They don't have a big market for these bulbs because they are only used in a couple of pinball machines, but they did ask what colors I would like to have available so, if there is interest, there is the slight chance that they could offer more colors.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 263
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 09:43:29 AM »
I actually bought some from Comet Pinball many years ago. They were kind enough to throw in a few free sample bulbs as well. The problem is, I need to get them out of the drawer and try them out on a few of my recent machines with boring bulbs!
Thanks for following up.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline kcirrick

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 09:50:51 AM »
That's what I did.  I had the 555 bulbs laying around and just decided to give them a try.  I was pleased when I stumbled upon their tiny bulbs.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal