New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Displaying a message on the progressive display  (Read 13257 times)

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Displaying a message on the progressive display
« on: March 22, 2014, 07:31:00 AM »
I am trying to program a message and cant seem to get it to work. I get into the PSP message programming menu and select #6 MESS.DO. The text window opens and I start the commands as follows F1 (start paragraph) F3 (travel motion) F6 (Speed command) then I enter 3 for speed. S-F3 (Dance command) S-F4 (Foreground color) CTRL-F4 (Double with char)  then I add my text    Blazing   Sevens    Free    Play      Then I hit F10 to exit and F1 to load, I look at the machine and it does say loading on the display but nothing ever happens. I even tried it without the S-F4 command thinking it would default as a normal scroll. 
 :103- :103-
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Displaying a message on the progressive display
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 07:39:52 AM »
Despite the appearance that it can, the ChamII+ in stand alone cannot display the mess.do file.  However, you can get custom messages displayed by tinkering with the jpot.do file -- insert jackpot token(s) (token number 8 ) to get the current amount to display, and add text and optional commands with that text as part of one long jpot.do file.  Make sure that the MFILE is set to 0 (set within the on-board buttons on the Mikohn unit), too, or it'll never display.
Start with just a word or two to make sure that it's working as you expect, then expand your jpot.do file.  There's a lot of trial-and-error involved, but once you get it displaying *something*, it's a matter of tweaking it until you get it how you like.
Edited to add:
Here's a video I took a long time ago of my meter (out of the machine) -- everything displayed in the video is just one long jpot.do file:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag94RWzZF2k
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:51:44 PM by knagl »
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 07:43:56 AM »
I got over the hurdle of sending programming changes to the controller, but now I want to see a message on the display.  The only thing displayed is the Jackpot.  I am using psp v2.0, from the menu old selection not con1 or con2.
Thanks
Gary

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 07:48:18 AM »
Hi Gary,
Assuming you have a CHAM II+ (Standalone), the only way to get a text message is using the JPOT.DO file on PSP.
PSP 2.0 Manual page 27 (8.2 Message programming data fields)
If you want the message scrolling + the jackpot amount you must insert jackpot token (#8) in the file.
The best way is to make a long JPOT.DO file.
See this post above

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 07:50:37 AM »
Gary,
In order to see a message on the display you must first make sure the ChamII is set with MFILE1 =0 or you will not get messages to display.
That being said you will place the message you want in the JPOT.DO file.
In the psp go to message programming and open the JPOT.DO (press #5)
You will see some wierd symbols, it will contain a spade symbol and an 8 along with some other stuff. That is the command to display the current jackpot value. What you want to do is add to this with your message. Put the curser after the jackpot command and start a new paragraph by pressing F1, if you want the message to scroll then press F3, next if you want the message to dance press ShiftF3, now type the text you want to see. You can add more paragraphs and change colors etc. I suggest you start simple.
Press F10 to exit out of the JPOT.DO. From there send to the Cham2. Note My cham2's do not like to accept this command. I have found that you must reboot the cham2 and as soon as it finishes it's self test press the F1 key on the PSP. Sometimes the message will not show up until you reboot the cham2 again.
Hope this helps let us know
Rich

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 07:58:14 AM »
This is a good point. Many times sending a JPOT.DO message will not work unless right after a reboot. So just always send right after the reboot completes the startup!
  :1: to qbert

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 08:04:08 AM »
That's right, you must be patient and tenacious.
Sometimes you have to reboot and reboot and reboot again...
It's the great mystery of the Mikohn stuff !

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 08:05:57 AM »
Thanks Uni,
 I think foster told me that a while back, that guy is a wizard.
This can be really frustrating especially if your new at using the PSP software.
I understand the PSP3.0 may fix the issue but I have not tried it.
Rich (Qbert )

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 08:08:37 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Got the sign up and running now.  Now I need to decide if I want to take on the challenge of programming the progressive side of it.
Gary

Offline jms7465

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • jms7465 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 05:19:27 AM »
TIPS! --
After being up late last night tinkering, I discovered a couple tips that might help someone out in the future:

TIP #1 - Simple - When Programming my text sting in JPOT.DO, I put my personal messages in front of the existing progressive jackpot string. The first word I put was "WELCOME1" with the "1" being each individual upload to the CHAMII+ and changing that # as I tweeked my message (2,3,4,etc.).  The advantage of this is that "WELCOME1" (2,3,4....) is the fist thing I see after an (attempted) F1 SEND.  If you don't see that number change, the F1 SEND didn't work.  After you get your whole message the way you want it, of course last thing would be to remove the # from "WELCOME".

TIP #2 - After tweeking your message in JPOT.DO press F10 to exit, but stay on the Message Programming page.  Press and [big]HOLD[/big] F1 (SEND) for just a second or two then press F10.  What this will do is send like a dozen (or two) SEND commands to the CHAMII+.  Once you you see it drop back to the main config menu (takes a minute to complete all the send commands that you created by holding F1) you will see the display refresh.  I have found that this works to upload your message almost every time.  One of them must have successfully completed the send.

TIP #3 - surrender to the DOS startup disc.  I tried to be lazy, but PSP just wouldn't communicate with the CHAMII+ when I ran it in a DOS prompt inside windows.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:28:45 AM by jms7465 »

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 05:44:09 AM »
Great tips thanks for sharing.
I can't wait to see how well tip #2 works!
Rich

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 11:55:53 PM »
Are you saying that by holding the F1 (send) for a few seconds that it would work without having to reboot the controller first?  If so, that's a great trick.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline jms7465

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 04:37:23 AM »
Seems to be working for me about 90% of the time.  And if it doesn't seems like just one more F1 and it works.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 05:54:17 AM »
Tip #3 depends on the age and operating system you are using. I have an old Dell laptop running XP that I use for PSP and the DOS window works fine.

Rich

Offline jms7465

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 08:46:37 AM »
Yea I am using windows Me!  :rotfl:

Offline LINDAM

• Moderator: Bill Validators and Currency acceptors
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • LINDAM Might someday be someone...LINDAM Might someday be someone...LINDAM Might someday be someone...LINDAM Might someday be someone...
  • When you run out of Quarters...You're done!
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 07:14:23 PM »
I've been using PSP 2 on an XP laptop in the dos box and a PCMCIA to serial card for ever and it works great.
If it ain't broke.....Stop trying to fix it.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 12:46:56 AM »
Yea I am using windows Me!  :rotfl:

Ha, the first computer I used to connect to a Mikohn ChamII+ was a Windows ME box.  I had to do the DOS boot disk thing.

I now have an ancient laptop with a serial port and Windows XP on it that I keep around exclusively for Mikohn programming, and I am able to connect with the DOS window inside of Windows XP.

Thanks for Tip #2.  I'll try it when I finally get around to re-programming my ChamII+.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal