New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Troubleshooting a Williams Sorcerer Pinball Machine  (Read 3490 times)

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • kmarrocco New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Troubleshooting a Williams Sorcerer Pinball Machine
« on: November 11, 2020, 08:11:52 PM »
Hello,
I just picked up a Williams Sorcerer Pinball machine.   The person who gave it to me said it is from 1984 and doesn't currently work.  The model number on the back of it is 532.  When I power it on, everything seems to light up but nothing else seems to happen.  Any pointers on where to get started troubleshooting it?  I would love to get it up and running.  Thanks!

Offline Boredom

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Boredom New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Troubleshooting a Williams Sorcerer Pinball Machine
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 08:39:12 PM »
Batteries likely dead or hopefully missing.  Try turning it of and then back on quickly.  If all is well, it should boot.  (Would be great if it was only the batteries.)  Otherwise, time to search for some System 9 Repair or Troubleshooting guides.  Many to be found out there.

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 08:54:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice.   Upon looking at the battery area, the batteries are in it and have leaked out.  I will have to look into it further as it has likely damaged the circuit board. 

When I switch it off and then back on quickly, it does not boot. 

Offline Boredom

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 09:07:57 PM »
Hopefully there isn't too much corrosion on the board. 

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 09:21:40 PM »
Here is a YouTuber (Joe's Classic Video Games) that has lots of good pinball repair videos.
Some acid damage repair videos with in depth repair.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LyonsArcade
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 10:27:14 AM »
I just pulled the CPU board out.  At first glance, the battery leakage doesn't look too bad on the circuit board.   But the battery holder is corroded off.  I notice that several of the connectors have pins broken off.  Anyone know of a resource to check if this is normal based on configuration?

Also, there is some dark marks near 1J7 and the resistors in that area.....overheating?   

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 10:32:02 AM »
A couple more close up pics.  Anyone know a good way to test out the board ar a place to shop it to for testing/diagnosis?  It looks like tested replacements are hard to find and pricey. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 11:57:28 AM by kmarrocco »

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 05:58:08 PM »
Thank you for the YouTube link and the advice so far, it has been very helpful.  I spent some time this weekend watching videos and was able to power up the MPU board outside of the machine and am getting a "1" on the seven segment display.  From what I read this is likely a problem with the U18 chip.  I had already ordered a 6116 nvram battery eliminator chip to replace this off of Ebay, so now I need to wait for it to arrive to try it out.  I will update when I have more information/progress.

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 08:32:56 PM »
I replaced U18 with a 6116 nvram chip hoping this would fix the issue and it did not. I am currently waiting on some other parts associated with the memory protect circuit (U16, U34, U41, U43, Q52) to see if they fix the issue. Those parts should arrive on Friday for me to try out. But I am wondering if there are other tests or checks that I can be doing in the meantime. Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Side note: I am also noticing that the relay (K1) does not engage every time I power on the board. I am not sure it is related to the error code 1, but I find it interesting and it may be a second problem.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 08:23:04 AM by kmarrocco »

Offline kmarrocco

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 08:25:00 AM »

So after finding issues with the reset circuitry and some other chips, I found that the driver chip for the 7 segment display was bad and giving me invalid digits on the display.  The replacement part arrived (U8) and I put it in and now I am getting valid data on the seven segment display.  I am getting the wonderful "0" meaning everything is booting properly.  I still need to get a few power resistors for 3 of the light driving circuits, but am able to put the MPU board back in the cabinet and play.  The remaining list of items to resolve is getting shorter, so this is progress.

Next issue is that the sound and speech seems to only work at the initial power on.  I noticed that when I turn the cabinet on and hit start, it says "Sorcerer" and then as I play it plays a few sounds and then the sound stops.  When I press SW2 on the MPU board for the sound test it makes some noise briefly but sounds kind of garbled and then stops.  I have also tried the diagnostic test through the cabinet menu and it seems to play some sounds but perhaps not all of them (I don't know what a known good test sounds like).  It is playing no sound on "00", playing sounds on "01" through "04", says "Feel" on "05", and there are no sounds on "06" and "07".  Any diagnostic tests recommended or common problems that may solve this one?Any diagnostic tests recommended or common problems that may solve this one?

Lastly, the player 4 display (7 digit) is shot....wondering if anyone has a good source for just the one display or has an extra they would like to sell.  I may just leave it as is because they are quite expensive on ebay. 

Offline Boredom

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 12:12:03 PM »
If you haven't run across this in your travels, try this link for information: https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11

Offline Finny

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Finny New User has no influence.
  • Finnys Pinnys
    • Finny's Pinnys
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2022, 02:16:27 AM »
Have you investigated Rottendog replacement boards?

I use these in most of my restorations where the client isn't concerned about the machine having the original boards.

Just FYI... :)
Finny's Pinnys pinball restoration
https://waynefinn.wordpress.com/

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal