New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Konami herculite audit key/EL key question  (Read 2489 times)

Offline TopDogElec

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • TopDogElec New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Konami herculite audit key/EL key question
« on: November 07, 2018, 06:10:32 PM »
So I've got a Wild Magic machine, changed it to Inspector Winmore kit, have the EL 0 key for it. Getting a 928 error "Backup ram" it says. Does the Audit/Reset key need to be turned also? I have the lock but no key, not sure I can replace this anywhere locally, not much here where I live. Probably going to go to a locksmith to see if they can make a key for me. Any ideas? Attached is pics of the lock removed
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 03:39:37 PM by TopDogElec »

Offline TopDogElec

• NLG
Re: Konami herculite game change question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 06:37:57 PM »
*Delete please*
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 02:55:58 PM by TopDogElec »

Offline TopDogElec

• NLG
Re: Konami herculite audit key question
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 02:11:40 PM »
**Update**

Turns out the EL key I have is dead, makes sense since the lifespan is only 10-12 years, this game is from 2002. Contacted Konami, no help of course, not surprised really. Thought maybe getting a 1wire programmer from Maxim who makes the key, called an iButton, maybe it can be reprogrammed? Or program a new one? Anyone happen to maybe possibly have the bin files for Konami? I know it's a long shot but worth a try

Offline Eddiie

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
Re: Konami herculite audit key/EL key question
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 07:54:10 PM »
Are we sure iButton and EL Key are the same thing?

If the interface on the machine is also 1 wire, might be able to write a brute force hacker.
Would be a fun project...

Offline Eddiie

• Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 08:07:43 PM »
** Update **
Turns out there are many iButton key models. 
The one's used seem to be model 1991.
** End of Update **

Also, the datasheet for the iButton says it is powered from the bus .. 
?

datasheet attached.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 12:47:36 AM by Eddiie »

Offline Eddymelissa@sbcglobal.net

• Registered Unknown Member 0-2 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Eddymelissa@sbcglobal.net New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 08:40:32 PM »
1.  It appears that Konami use an iButton DS1991L-F5. 

2.  These do appear to still be available on EBay.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/DS1991L-F5-TM-card-iButton-MultiKey-iButtonTM-USA-ship/192932232467?epid=720958152&hash=item2ceba83d13:g:-BUAAOSwcLxYDWsD

3.  There seem to still be (or were) readers/decipherers/writers for these as well (not cheap).  http://www.setchief.com/english/ProductShow.asp?ID=147

I have zero knowledge on how to go about duplicating an original one but if that's the only way I can get rid of a 928 Backup Data Error on my Konami Advantage slot machine, I'm willing to help with some experimentation and eventual possible marketing of fresh EL Keys to the 25 people who own Konami machines that may need these? 

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 12:45:12 AM »
I spent the evening googling...

The iButton I have for Konami is model 1991 (as mentioned above).   It is protected by 3 passwords.   It is vulnerable to dictionary attack..

Here is a link with a bit more information and a link to the security bulletin, http://www.grandideastudio.com/ds1991-ibutton-dictionary-attack/
There is also an executable to launch the attack.   (source code included, but you need some libraries to compile it..  Use it to write your own dictionary attacker)
There are dictionaries available on the web..

However, very tired now and not sure what the reader hardware is.     Math says it will take many years to crack it, but with the use of many computers it can be reduced.   Also, assuming the passwords do not use extended characters the time is also reduced.   Once one key is cracked we assume they use the same passwords for all keys. 

Typical dictionary brute force stuff.

Interesting read, the code is very old.       A reader can be made pretty simply from my googling.   1Wire interface, a USB to Serial adapter, a 1Wire IC ( DS2480B+ ) might be a good start.

What to do once the password has been discovered?   Not sure.  Maybe it will be clear after some rest.   Maybe it is clear for someone else.

Hope someone picks up the ball and runs with it.

Attached is the source code from the zip file available from the articles in this message (made to .txt, system will not allow a .c file attachent...

Perhaps a bus sniffer between machine and iButton would reveal something good?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 01:07:18 AM by Eddiie »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal