**Reel Slots** Gaming Machines > IGT S and S-plus Reel Games
IGT S+ Coin lockout coil power
(1/2) > >>
Bruce G:
Hi Friends - I've run into an issue with an S+ that a friend gave me to get running for him.  I just today noticed that the coin lock wasn't working at all.  I check the coil and it's open.  Then I tested the AC supply to the coin lockout coil, and it's always on.  I connected a 28V lamp to the supply for the coil - so I could see if there was any flicker when coins pass the through the coin detector / comparer.    Solid lamp all the time.  I pulled the CPU back out to find Q16, Q17, Q18 all have low resistance across Input 1 and the gate.  There are MAC3030 thyristors.  Q 16: 39 Ohms,  Q17 58 Ohms, Q 18  67 Ohms.  None appear fully shorted, and testing thyristors has always been sort of a guessing game for me.  I'm curious if anyone here has feedback on this issue.  I didn't want to cut one off the board if it isn't necessary.  These aren't expensive , so I can order some to see if new ones make any difference.  But I was hopeful someone here would / could shed light before I go that route.  Thanks! 
Stayouttadabunker:
oh boy....terminology is a little off. :arrowthruhead:

Show us a picture of this "coin lock" please? :Take_a_Photo:
I have NO IDEA what you're referring to?  :scratch-head_3: :scratch-head_2:
THAT is a new one to me.  :rotfl:
Bruce G:
Coin lockout coil. 
Tilt:
There isn't a coin lockout coil on a S+.  Maybe you're referring to the coin diverter coil?  That coil diverts the coin to the overflow tube when the hopper is full.
Bruce G:
Thank you Tilt.  My mistake.  Yes it's the diverter coil.  Let me start over again. 

This is a triple diamond form the 1990s, and it is an S+ machine.  My friend bought it at a yard sale and asked me to fix it for him.  I have 35 years experience servicing jukeboxes.  I have been pressed into working on slots because there aren't any local repairmen left around here where I live.  So please bear with my ignorance or lack of terminology regarding slots.  I'm trying. 

Anyhow.  I replaced the battery, cleared the 61 code and the machine is working and paying out as it should.  This machine has a single payout line.  Max bet is 2 coins.  if a 3rd coin is dropped, it passes directly into the hopper.  There is no credit chime, since I'm guessing the extra ( 3rd ) coin should be sent out to the payout tray.  I incorrectly thought the diverter solenoid did this.  I see no apparatus in the coin path that would reject a 3rd coin.  My suspicion is that the coin handling components were missing from the machine and that someone replaced them with the wrong components?  There is a price of $50written on the frame that holds the the slug rejector - suggesting that it was purchased later and installed.  I also see where perhaps a 2nd solenoid and cam could have been mounted next to the diverter solenoid.  Maybe this is what is missing?  I'm including a photo of the coin detector.  It's different than the ones I'm used to seeing from these machines.  It does not hold a coin captive in it, like the others I have seen. 

Anyway - the thing works ok except for the extra coin thing.  I'm inclined just to give it back to him as - is.  I'm tired of looking at it.  I am curious though, as to why the extra coins aren't being returned. 

Thanks for your help. 
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442

Go to full version