New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally 809-ZY transformer question  (Read 2381 times)

Offline SlotNewbie

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • SlotNewbie New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally 809-ZY transformer question
« on: September 11, 2019, 12:02:58 PM »
I have a 1975 Bally 809 Captain Fantastic.  After my son in law hit 3 100K's in a row the top lights stopped working, mechanical ok.  I checked all fuses and found one holder broken. Replaced it and now the lower part doesn't work.  Checked the continuity in the major wires and nothing is broken.  Checked the on/off switch, all good.  Then I checked the transformer.  I had 120v in and the following out:

Red wire 00.4
Yellow 00.2
Grn  00.3

Same reading at the fuses.

Believing I had a bad transformer I found another on ebay that the seller said had been tested.  But upon installing it.  The same numbers.  And still nothing.  With my meter it appears the output is less than 1/2 a volt.  I have the schematic but not really understanding where I find "what it should be".

1. Can anyone tell me what the correct output numbers should be.
2. Is there possibly a trip switch I hit that is not allowing lights or mechanical to work
3. Is there really a pinball God and how do I connect with him/her.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dan
echomedia1@gmail.com

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Bally 809-ZY transformer question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 07:34:37 PM »
Bally pinball machines sometimes have a fuse for the scoreboard lights and one for the play field.
There might be a switch between the transformer neutral wire and it’s source.
The secondary side is also ac, just mentioning it because sometimes I forget to switch the meter back from dc.

Try this very carefully, jump a wire from the white neutral wire where it comes into the machine to the white neutral solder lug on the transformer. Test the secondary voltage.

Offline SlotNewbie

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 10:16:51 AM »
Thank you for the reply.
The fuse for the scoreboard lights is under the left flipper and all is good there.
No switch found at the location you mentioned.  There is an on/off switch for the machine and that appears good
No sure about the reference to dc.  I'm not savy in the world of ac but isn't it 120v ac in and then 57.5/53.6 & 6.9 VAC out of the transformer?  Is there DC somewhere or do you just mean when you accidently don't switch the meter (which I suspect is what you were saying but wanted to be sure).

This has to be something simple I have overlooked.  I'm concerned that the voltage out of the transformer is showing so low.  I guess I could have purchased another bad one. 

Thanks again.  Anyone else have any thoughts?
Dan

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 04:05:52 PM »
Dan,

Some Bally machines have a door switch.
If the switch is not depressed the machine will not operate.
Its like another on / off.

Offline SlotNewbie

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 04:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply but nothing like that found.  I appreciate your time.

Dan

Offline off-track

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • off-track New User barely matters.off-track New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 05:42:52 PM »
3. Is there really a pinball God and how do I connect with him/her.

Yes there is/are but, (no offense intended) positing a EM pinball problem in a slot forum isn't the best place to find them.  I'd suggest you post in the EM pinball tech section of pinside.com.
BTW, after a quick look at the schematic on IPDB, the transformer output values of each lug are shown on the lower right section,   

Offline SlotNewbie

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 05:45:05 PM »
Thank you for the info and I am so sorry, I did not realize where I was (story of my life)  I will repost. And thanks for the info.

Dan

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal