New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Atari Millipede Monitor "Droop"  (Read 2830 times)

Offline milricky

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • milricky New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Atari Millipede Monitor "Droop"
« on: July 19, 2020, 01:17:11 PM »
The entire left side of the monitor "droops" down about 1 inch on my Atari Millipede game (see attached pictures).  I'm looking for help on how to make this repair.  Thanks in advance to all for any information shared.  I believe the machine was built in 1982.

Offline KaPH33n

• Reputation Power: 4
  • KaPH33n New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Atari Millipede Monitor "Droop"
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 10:32:54 PM »
Is it the original monitor chassis or a replacement? either way I would start by tweaking the horizontal hold potentiometer if it has that control. Likely on the chassis directly.

The monitor also looks a bit green, yes i know millipede is a green heavy game. I would try adjusting your green cutoff or bias control. Probably on the neck board.

Try these two fixes first and see if you're happy enough with the results.

If you want to "harden" or "shop out" the machine I would go through and do the following:
Since this game is quite old, you probably should start by replacing all of the electrolytic caps in the cab. Start with the big blue no matter what unless it's been replaced in the last decade. Probably should recap or rebuild the ar2 but do some checks and see if everything is ok first. The game board has a few caps on it as well. And of course, recap the monitor chassis.

If you do choose to replace the trackball with a new one be aware that the new ones from happ have a different pinout than the old original ones in these atari games. You may need to look up the pinout or do some wire swapping on the harnesses to make it work correctly.

Offline milricky

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 07:04:50 AM »
Thanks so much for the direction.  I'll try to locate the "horizontal hold" and "green cut off control".  Do you know if they are labeled, or what I need to look for to find them?

Since I don't have any real experience working on these machines, do you know where I can learn about replacing the caps?

Offline KaPH33n

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 09:26:02 AM »
take off the back door and try to identify the monitor chassis. it could be several different makes/models but they should all have a horizontal hold control and a hopefully bias/cutoffs. Make sure to be careful around the thick red wire that goes to the back of the monitor. That's the anode cap and it the insulation holds in thousands of volts (even when it's powered off). Research discharging monitors if you are going to recap the chassis.

Maybe try finding the manual for the chassis online... but you shouldn't really need it for those two settings.

Offline milricky

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 04:50:59 AM »
So I'm striking out so far.  I did find and tried adjusting the H-Size, H-Position, V-Size and V-Hold, but this did not help the "droop" at all.  I was able to clean up the picture with the color & brightness adjustments.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?  The droop is less when the machine is first turned on and gets larger once the machine warms up.

Offline KaPH33n

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 10:34:14 AM »
Is there no way to adjust the H Hold though? That is the symptom of the problem I'm seeing on your monitor. Remember "horizontal" on the monitor is the longer dimension. The monitor is rotated and mounted 90 degrees in a vertical game like millipede but the controls will still refer to the monitor in its native orientation. Because there is curl just at the edge of the screen in the horizontal direction I suspected the horizontal hold. It could also be a cap issue and doing a monitor chassis cap kit could help or fix the issue. If there is a horizontal hold pot it is a lot quicker to try to fix it that way.

I'm not sure what monitor that is... I think it is the matsushita 19 which would likely be an original monitor chassis.
https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-monitors/Atari%20Monitor%20TM-220%201st%20Printing%20Matsushita%2019in.pdf

if it is that monitor page 5 of the manual says to adjust R505, which is basically in the center of the pcb.

Offline milricky

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 06:25:17 AM »
Success!  It wasn't easy to find, but with your expertise and direction I was able to locate it.  Just as you stated, I made a slight adjustment and all is good.

Thanks so much, your help is greatly appreciated!

Offline KaPH33n

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 09:19:10 AM »
Great news! I love an easy fix. We’re you able to adjust the green as well?

Enjoy your game, it’s a wonderful, classic Atari game. Probably one of the best trackball games of all time.

Offline milricky

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 06:11:21 PM »
Yes.  I was able to adjust the color and the brightness and improve the image.  Thanks again for you help!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal