New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Added RAM to G23 machines  (Read 2080 times)

Offline sakwilla

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • sakwilla New User barely matters.sakwilla New User barely matters.
  • NLG
Added RAM to G23 machines
« on: January 12, 2021, 12:37:09 AM »
Hi guys,

I have added a 4GB Ram Card to my 2 G23 machines. Each now has 6GB RAM
I restarted the machines and all worked fine, I also noticed one game I never could play (Godzilla) now works on one of the machines.
I just wanted to check should I have done a clear of the machines or are they good to go now? How do i check the machines RAM to see if both were successful?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline Slotman

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Slotman New User barely matters.Slotman New User barely matters.
  • NLG
Re: Added RAM to G23 machines
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 04:53:45 AM »
You added a 4GB on a machine with a 2GB :Scratch-Head: Usually RAM has to be a matching set size, speed, etc.

Offline Harvs

• Think!, While it's still legal...
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 05:33:22 AM »
The max on AVP is 2 2gb sticks.  :wave:

Offline idesign

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 149
  • idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!idesign Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 06:05:28 AM »
The machine won't use the extra 2 gb of ram, 4 gb is max
If it ain't broke don't mess with it.....

Offline sakwilla

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 06:46:36 AM »
Thats fine, I actually ordered 2 x 2GB ram sticks but the supplier accidentally gave me 2 x 4GB so thats fine.

Do I need to clear the machines, how do I check to make sure they were added?

Offline Harvs

• Sr NLG Member
  • Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 06:50:53 AM »
Thats fine, I actually ordered 2 x 2GB ram sticks but the supplier accidentally gave me 2 x 4GB so thats fine.

Do I need to clear the machines, how do I check to make sure they were added?
Use the Diag and you can see in the menu where you wipe the machine. It'll be at the top of that menu (I can't think of the tab name right now)

Offline Slotman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 07:24:20 AM »
The machine won't use the extra 2 gb of ram, 4 gb is max
Will it allow mis-matched sticks of RAM?  Ive never tried it before but if thats the case I have a box of misc ram I can utilize.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 10:53:02 AM »
DDR memory can be mismatched, but you lose a major advantage since if they are not matched, Dual Data Rate transfers do not occur.   You may not have 4GB DIMMs.  Some vendors put stickers on them that say 4GB kits sold as a pair of 2GB dimms, but the sticker reads 4GB Kit.  If you look at the chips part number on the simm and google them, you can see their true capacity per chip.

Post a photo of the DIMM where you can clearly see the chip's part number and the chip label.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline sakwilla

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 02:17:37 AM »
Attached the RAM. I can take out the 2GB ram if that would work and only have the 1 x 4GB ram stick installed instead of the 6?

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 09:18:51 AM »
That's a 2GB Dimm.  I have a set of that was sold as a 2GB kit and what I got was a pair 1 GB dimms with the label that said 2GB Kit.  1GB Dimms use the same memory as 2GB dimms, but the 2GB dimms have memory chips on both sides of the board.
The photo below are my memory modules.  The one above is a real 2GB Dimm, notice it says 2GB DDR2 800 Dimm (Has chips on both sides).  The one below is a 1GB Dimm (one of the pair I have) it says 2GB KIT DDR2 800 Dimm (has chips on only 1 side).  But notice the memory part number on the chips is the same, but the 2GB has twice as many, thus 2GB.  Your photo has the same parts as my 2GB dimm, and I bet it has chips on both sides.

If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline sakwilla

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 07:10:04 AM »
Thanks Rick, are you saying that the RAM I have is ok? Would it be better "performance wise" just to leave the 4GB ram (the one in the photo) in the machine and remove the 2GB one so there is no mismatch>

I pretty much bought it to try and improve my CSI game and it has improved slightly but not as much as i hoped - happy to try anything out. Thanks again!

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 08:45:59 AM »
You don't seem to understand my post.  The sim you have is NOT a 4GB simm, it is a 2GB simm.  Please read my post carefully and understand what I'm trying to say.  If you have 2 Simms that are the same brand and type, use those 2.  CSI requires the dedicated video card, without that, it is going to run sluggish.

Offline sakwilla

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 06:28:25 AM »
Thanks Rick - apologies. Im not great with technology and try hard to sort out these problems - I truly appreciate your help as always :)

What is a good video card to get for the G23 to allow games like CSI to work flawlessly? Thanks again!

Offline Slotman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 07:00:17 AM »
That's a 2GB Dimm.  I have a set of that was sold as a 2GB kit and what I got was a pair 1 GB dimms with the label that said 2GB Kit.  1GB Dimms use the same memory as 2GB dimms, but the 2GB dimms have memory chips on both sides of the board.
The photo below are my memory modules.  The one above is a real 2GB Dimm, notice it says 2GB DDR2 800 Dimm (Has chips on both sides).  The one below is a 1GB Dimm (one of the pair I have) it says 2GB KIT DDR2 800 Dimm (has chips on only 1 side).  But notice the memory part number on the chips is the same, but the 2GB has twice as many, thus 2GB.  Your photo has the same parts as my 2GB dimm, and I bet it has chips on both sides.
Very good advice.  I had to go back and look at the ones I picked up off ebay just to see if they had the word "kit" in them. 

Offline Harvs

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 04:27:05 AM »
Thanks Rick - apologies. Im not great with technology and try hard to sort out these problems - I truly appreciate your help as always :)

What is a good video card to get for the G23 to allow games like CSI to work flawlessly? Thanks again!
I assume you have a 3.0m or 625 CPU? - You'll need a dual DVI e4690 vid card (and a VGA to DVI adapter or swap out the entire main monitor cable).

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2021, 10:12:00 AM »
It should be mentioned, that the e4690 video card we are speaking about needs to be an IGT part (although I don't believe it exists as anything but that since it is a mobile part and usually integrated into laptops).

Offline Parrothedd

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Parrothedd New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2023, 01:10:49 PM »
Guys, I have tried to add RAM twice now with 2 different G23’s and different SIMMs, and have problems. This time I thought I was buying the right SIMMs per the forum advice. Here is what I bought:

When I pulled the existing 2gb SIMM and installed both of these, I got continued beeping and a message that there was no video connection. I removed the new RAM & reinstalled the original, and I’m back to working fine. What am I missing? And why do this anyway if my games seem to be playing fine with just 2gb?  Is there some improvement I would see that I’m just not noticing now?

Thanks!
Jim

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 236
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2023, 01:32:08 PM »
That is some cheap off brand ram.  Try the two dimms that were on both machines and put them on same machine and see what happens.  Name brand dimms for these are dirt cheap.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal