New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 2 660 CPUs for one game  (Read 5069 times)

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 174
  • Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!
  • "Get busy livin, or get busy dyin." -Andy Dufresne
    • Yoeddy's Slot Machine Videos
2 660 CPUs for one game
« on: February 03, 2023, 07:46:54 PM »
Hi guys,

If I have 1 660 CPU full of games, and I have a second 660 CPU that I want to install a bunch of different games on, can I merely swap the 2 CPUs in and out of the same machine?

Thanks,
Jason

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and win one meellion dollars!!!

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: 2 660 CPUs for one game
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 08:09:28 PM »
No.  But if you swap the two eeproms on the backplane with it you can (at least with a G23v2).  Just like 3902/044 mpu/eeprom swaps.

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
  • Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 08:23:47 PM »
No.  But if you swap the two eeproms on the backplane with it you can (at least with a G23v2).  Just like 3902/044 mpu/eeprom swaps.

Good to know, Cliff!  Do you have a picture which EPROMs those are?

Thanks,
Jason

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 08:43:25 PM »

Excellent info. I have a G20 though. I will have to look into that. It's a different backplane. I swap the brain box or just the SSD and clear safe storage only. Will get a processor mismatch if I swapped the bb, turn the key once to clear that. Keep cabinet memory intact and all the denom, sas, validation info is still there. Just have to enable the games after that.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 08:57:58 PM »
I'll take and post a couple of pictures tomorrow.  The only machine I have is a G23v2, so I can't speak for other models.  I do know there are differences between them though.  The eeproms on the G23v2 that you swap out with the MPU is the cabinet memory.  So when you swap from one to another all the statistics, credits, enabled games stay intact.  Makes it nice not to have to re-enable 80+ games for sure.

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 09:39:25 PM »
I'll take and post a couple of pictures tomorrow.  The only machine I have is a G23v2, so I can't speak for other models.  I do know there are differences between them though.  The eeproms on the G23v2 that you swap out with the MPU is the cabinet memory.  So when you swap from one to another all the statistics, credits, enabled games stay intact.  Makes it nice not to have to re-enable 80+ games for sure.

Yeah, for sure.  I did that with my Game King 044 all the time between Superstar Poker and Game King 6.x.  Seconds to swap that chip on the backplane and MPU.  Is there a location to verify if you have a G23v2?

Jason

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 10:03:38 PM »
ID tag on the side of the machine?  Mine shows G23V2 as the model on the tag.  I've also heard if your cabinet controller (blackfin) board has a yellow handle it's a V2, but I don't know if that's acccurate or not.

Takes a bit longer on the G23 because of the additional cables and getting the damn brainbox all the way in.  Mine hit's the rails about halfway in and I have to fight with it to get it the rest of the way in :banghead:

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 11:35:02 AM »
Ok, here's some pictures of the EEPROMs on a G23V2.  The part number is 25256E and it's installed in sockets U2 and U3 on the backplane.  I marked mine 1 and 2, you can mark them however you like (top/bottom, upper/lower etc), but they both need to remain with the MPU that they were operating with and need to be installed in the correct location too.  The 25256E is obsolete in a DIP8 package, so I got the SOIC-8 package and soldered it to a 8 pin SOIC/DIP adapter socket for the first set.  I got those from Mouser or Digikey.  After I knew that it would work I ordered some in a DIP-8 package from China on Ebay and waited for a couple of weeks for them.  They're still available on Ebay.  Like the 3902/044 backplane EEPROM it's a lot easier to remove and install the EEPROMs into the backplane by putting then in a socket.

I also remoted the telltale battery off of the cabinet controller board, so if it decides to leak it won't destroy the board.  Without schematics it's difficult to come up with a mod that would allow us to remove it all together.  It appears that the system not only monitors the battery voltage, but also the charging current.  I tried using 3 AA batteries with a blocking diode to prevent it from trying to charge the alkaline batteries, but I still got a telltale battery tilt error. 

I'd be interested to hear if the MPU/EEPROM swap can be done with other model AVP machines.  I guess the price of 660 brainboxes will probably be going up now  :24: :24:.

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 12:37:27 AM »
Yeah, I definitely will be doing this.  I’m thinking this would be a good idea to run Texas Hold Em since I think it is meant to be run standalone.  I need to see that game in action.  Never have played it, but I’ve heard it needs to be installed by itself.

Thanks,
Jason

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 239
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 01:30:03 PM »
Unfortunately texas holdem is a lame game on avp IMHO.

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 07:39:24 PM »

Reminds me of Roulette on GK 8.3R. You think you want it but then it's underwhelming once you have it. Screw the GK packages that hog your NVRAM with too much single hand five card draw poker and keno that I never play. I do like the MM though. I just use the OS and MM then add the games that I want.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline millionaire2k

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • millionaire2k New User barely matters.millionaire2k New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 08:19:42 PM »
How do you use the MM and not have all the poker games hog everything up?  Also how many games about can I add without the GK hogging everything?

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 09:56:22 PM »

Reminds me of Roulette on GK 8.3R. You think you want it but then it's underwhelming once you have it. Screw the GK packages that hog your NVRAM with too much single hand five card draw poker and keno that I never play. I do like the MM though. I just use the OS and MM then add the games that I want.

MM???

Thanks,
Jason

Offline millionaire2k

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • millionaire2k New User barely matters.millionaire2k New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 12:08:47 AM »

MM???

Thanks,
Jason

I think he is saying main menu?

Offline RobinAK

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • RobinAK New User barely matters.RobinAK New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2023, 05:44:30 AM »
Yeah, I definitely will be doing this.  I’m thinking this would be a good idea to run Texas Hold Em since I think it is meant to be run standalone.  I need to see that game in action.  Never have played it, but I’ve heard it needs to be installed by itself.

Thanks,
Jason
I have installed Holdem along side with other games. It played fine. Was rather bland however. Just playing aginst the dealer is kinda lame. That being said. I recently reinstalled it. Plays fine however this time the machine locks up when loading a different game after playing holdem. Only fix is power down and restart then what ever game was trying to load is loaded.

Offline T

• Reputation Power: 19
  • T New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2023, 12:13:36 PM »
Ok, here's some pictures of the EEPROMs on a G23V2.  The part number is 25256E and it's installed in sockets U2 and U3 on the backplane.  I marked mine 1 and 2, you can mark them however you like (top/bottom, upper/lower etc), but they both need to remain with the MPU that they were operating with and need to be installed in the correct location too.  The 25256E is obsolete in a DIP8 package, so I got the SOIC-8 package and soldered it to a 8 pin SOIC/DIP adapter socket for the first set.  I got those from Mouser or Digikey.  After I knew that it would work I ordered some in a DIP-8 package from China on Ebay and waited for a couple of weeks for them.  They're still available on Ebay.  Like the 3902/044 backplane EEPROM it's a lot easier to remove and install the EEPROMs into the backplane by putting then in a socket.

I also remoted the telltale battery off of the cabinet controller board, so if it decides to leak it won't destroy the board.  Without schematics it's difficult to come up with a mod that would allow us to remove it all together.  It appears that the system not only monitors the battery voltage, but also the charging current.  I tried using 3 AA batteries with a blocking diode to prevent it from trying to charge the alkaline batteries, but I still got a telltale battery tilt error. 

I'd be interested to hear if the MPU/EEPROM swap can be done with other model AVP machines.  I guess the price of 660 brainboxes will probably be going up now  :24: :24:.

i have been watching this topic closely. The swapping EEPROMs like on the 044 is great. i looked at the backplane of my G23 and the EEPROMs 25256E are installed already. I did not know this. I have family 20 games installed now. I want to remove MPU and install my other MPU that as family 14 games. Both MPUs are 660. I assume from what is being said i can shut down family 20 remove MPU and remove the two 25256E EEPROMS, mark then for future use with family 20 MPU. I assume then i will install MPU family 14 games along with 2 new 25256E EEPROMS on backplane and machine will wright to them. Since there will be nothing on these 2 new EEPROMS, will i have to clear cabinet memory first? I am not real sure the order of things here so any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2023, 03:27:07 PM »
The new ones for the Fam14 games will be blank, so you'll have to set it up.

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2023, 03:51:36 PM »
The new ones for the Fam14 games will be blank, so you'll have to set it up.

Set what up? Not sure what you mean. I am thinking (please correct me if i am off base) Put in  family 14 MPU, put in new / blank EEPROMS at back plane. There are around 50 games installed already on the family 14 MPU. Once I have done that I am not real sure how to proceed. I am thinking when I switched out from family 14 MPU to family 20 MPU all I had to do was clear the upper cabinet memory then it worked just fine. I am finding myself not being sure how to proceed. Maybe just overthinking it...?

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2023, 09:46:04 PM »
The games will still be on the drive, but you will need to enable all of them again and setup progressives again if applicable.  You are essentially wiping cabinet memory by installing blank eeproms.

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2023, 08:57:10 AM »
The games will still be on the drive, but you will need to enable all of them again and setup progressives again if applicable.  You are essentially wiping cabinet memory by installing blank eeproms.

Thank you. Just to be clear: slide in family 14 MPU, make connections, install the 2 new blank EEPROMS, turn on machine. Will i need E7 key at this point to set up games? or should i boot with E7 or possibly diagnostics? or will machine just simply guide me when turned on...

Sorry if i am beating a dead horse but things dont seem so easy on these G23 sometimes.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal