New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 044 green varta battery.  (Read 37302 times)

Offline Jimise

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • Jimise Might someday be someone...Jimise Might someday be someone...Jimise Might someday be someone...Jimise Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
044 green varta battery.
« on: November 07, 2014, 07:07:03 PM »
Do the 044 boards need the green varta batteries to work?
I have one where the battery is starting to corrode, but the board still works.
Just curious if it is needed.
Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 06:57:03 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
Re: 044 green varta battery.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 08:01:12 PM »
Not sure but it'S already corroded so pull it off and find out. You can't hurt anything and you need to remove it anyway to prevent damage to the board

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 08:33:35 PM »
you only need it for international software.  Works fine with us software.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Jimise

• Sr NLG Member
  • Jimise Might someday be someone...Jimise Might someday be someone...Jimise Might someday be someone...Jimise Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 08:45:04 PM »
Sounds good! Thanks for the info.
At least now I know I don't have to replace it.  :yes:
you only need it for international software.  Works fine with us software.

Offline coaster

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • coaster New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 07:29:16 AM »
My 044 wont boot without that battery.The second amber LED from the left doesnt light,screen blank.
Running USA GK 5.0

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 10:40:07 AM »
My bad, you have an international board.  I had the same issue when the battery was bad.  It needs the green battery.  There are some domestic 044 boards that do not require the battery.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 06:50:03 PM »
Good question, and the answer I think depends on your board.  I recently picked up a couple of boards off of ebay that had the dreaded varta tell tale batteries installed.  I have two others that do not.  Found out today that none of them are the same part number.  I have the following:

75704401 Rev A - No Tell Tale Battery installed
75704402 Rev A - Has Tell Tale Battery installed
75704402W Rev B - Has Tell Tale Battery installed
75704403 Rev A - No Tell Tale Battery installed

The 4402 and 4402W are the two I got from ebay that have tell tale batteries. They had a privileged option keyswitch on the front, and the 4402W has a DB-9 connector on the front instead of a fiber optic interface. 

I removed the battery from the 4402W board first, put it in the machine and it booted just fine. Powered cycled it a couple of times and it booted and played every time.

So I removed the battery from the 4402 board.  Installed it, and it looked like it was booting OK, but when it got to where it Zero checks the flash the second Amber LED went out and it just locked up with the Starting Up please wait screen still being displayed, but the three periods"..." stopped incrementing.  Similar to what coaster described, but my display wasn't blank.  It may be because he's using a legacy adapter board and legacy software? I don't know.  I power cycled it a couple more times and it hung up in that same spot every time.

In looking at the board and schematics there's a bunch of "optional" components that are installed if the tell tale battery is installed.  I decided to remove U24 from the 4402 board, it's a regulator that supplies the charging voltage for the battery.   I then installed the board, and it booted just fine.  Power cycled it a few times and it booted every time.  I've attach some pictures and the schematic for those who are interested in them. 

Jim, the battery on your board needs to go anyhow, so try it without the battery and see if it boots.  It looks like you may have a 4402W board from the way the components are laid out, if so it should hopefully work fine with just the battery removed.   Let us know what you find out. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:14:48 PM by Tilt »

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 07:41:42 PM »
Excellent information and detective work Tilt! :1:

Offline coaster

• Reputation Power: 2
  • coaster New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 08:03:39 PM »
Tilt...its was with the legacy adapter board and legacy software.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 08:07:47 PM »
I had the same results as Tilt with my 044 board with the battery.  And with the legacy board, I got no screen.  So you will probably need to swap out the battery.

Offline Jimise

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the awesome post & great information Tilt!  :1:
The board that I have is the 75704402W Rev B.
So I may be in luck!
I am going to pull it off tomorrow, and see what happens.. :yes:

Offline Jimise

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 05:18:10 PM »
Well, I took the battery off, and the good news is, it works just fine.

The bad news is now the colors are off on the monitor. It looks like all the red colors are gone.

I did try a different board with the same game and the monitor works just fine.

I'm not quite sure what happened, any ideas?  :Scratch-Head:

Thanks everyone !

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 06:05:52 PM »
check for bent pins in the mpu board that connect to the backplane.

Offline Jimise

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 09:45:23 PM »
all the pins look good.
check for bent pins in the mpu board that connect to the backplane.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 09:57:05 PM »
Since you tried it with another MPU board with the same game in the same cabinet, and all the colors look fine, then there's obviously something with the MPU board.  Did you check the traces around the battery to make sure nothing is shorting or damaged?  Look under the board as well as I know there's quite a few connection on the other side, which could have gotten "jumped" with stray solder as you de-soldered the battery.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 09:53:05 AM »
I was thinking along the same lines as Rick, posssibly a bent pin or a stray solder bridge.  There really aren't many traces in the immediate area of the battery to damage like on a S2000 50X MPU, and most of the components near the battery are used for the audio & DC-DC power supplies.  I really don't see how removing the battery would cause the loss of a video color, but since it worked before you removed the battery it couldn't hurt to put it back on just to make 100% sure that isn't the cause.   

Offline Yoeddy1

• Kit addiction expert
  • NLG Support Staff
  • Reputation Power: 174
  • Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!Yoeddy1 Is an-NLG GOD!
  • "Get busy livin, or get busy dyin." -Andy Dufresne
    • Yoeddy's Slot Machine Videos
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 10:46:56 AM »
Thinking the same thing as well.  Was the battery desoldered, or was it cut off?  Stray solder can cause strange results.  Believe me, I was fighting this working on a CRT chassis not too long ago.  I can't understand how disconnecting a battery would create a loss of one color.

Jason

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and win one meellion dollars!!!

Offline Jimise

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 05:57:57 PM »
OK,  My original thought was that I had overheated something on the board removing the battery, and ruined the color.
Well, I have been messing with this board today, and finally success!  :applause:
I found a couple of very small solder spots on the bottom of the board, I got them off.
I also changed out the tray. It was a little bent on the bottom, so the board didn't sit flat on the posts on the tray.
So I am happy, and relieved That it is working correctly again!
Thanks everyone for the comments and help   :thank_you:

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »
Good deal!   Glad you were able to get it working and now ya don't have to worry about that leaky battery either.  :applause:

Offline kyalo

• Reputation Power: 0
  • kyalo New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 08:13:29 AM »
From this conversation i have got a solution for two of my boards that are stuck on zero checking rush

thank you very much.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal