**Reel Slots** Gaming Machines > IGT S and S-plus Reel Games

IGT S+ Double Diamond Coin In No Credit Issue

(1/5) > >>

ikelly208:

I am a slot machine noobie and I have an IGT $0.25 S+ Double Diamond  slant top that is not registering coins/credits when coins are inserted.  I’ve read through every IGT S+ troubleshooting blog entry I could find on NewLifeGames.com and I’m not sure what to do next.   Any help you could provide on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a quick rundown of what I have the issues I’m seeing and the troubleshooting I’ve tried:

Machine:  IGT $0.25 S+ Double Diamond  slant top

Issue: Machine worked flawlessly for several months after purchase. Now, coins go in and drop into the internal hopper (not the external tray).  No Credit for the coin drop is registered. 
When machine is powered up any coin in drops into the external tray.  Once the reels spin and the insert coin light, lights up any coins in drop into the internal hopper and do not register any credits. At this time the light tower bottom light flashes rapidly. No error codes are displayed.
Here is a video of the scenario I outlined above: https://youtube.com/shorts/6sqcWz6lUrU?si=B3auUsghz5xxhe0B

Troubleshooting I’ve done:
1.   When opening the slot machine I noticed that the coin comparator led was no longer lit green.  I verified that a sample coin was in place in the comparator.   I sent my coin comparator off to K*Lar Amusement Repair  for their coin comparator repair service.  After the repair service installing the coin comparator (sample coin in place) I still do not have a green light on the comparator.  I placed my cell phone inside the slot machine and recorded video of the comparator led status and once the reels reset after power on the comparator LED turns green.
2.    I tried the small white button on the optics board to manually add credits to the machine.  Does not work. No credits registered when pressing the white button.
3.   Using the “look here first” IGT S+ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and how-to-guides” section on Newlifegames.com I was able to get into the Input Tests and found that 12_1 CoinC would not register a coin. I did this test by removing the comparator and using a popsicle stick to check the sensors.  11_1 CoinB tested good.  I verified this test by passing a coin into the machine as in normal operation from the coin in drop slot  and still got no signal on 12_1 CoinC .
4.   I ordered a refurbished & tested 10pin Optic Board from K*Lar and installed it.  Rerunning the Input Tests I get good signal on 11_1 and 12_1 but I do not receive any credits from pressing the white button on the optics board.
5.   I’ve ran through all of the input/output and sound tests without any errors.
6.   I removed the mother board from the machine and inspected for any burned traces, components or other visual issues.  No visible issues found.
7.   I’ve traced the wiring bundles from the coin optics/comparator back to the mother board with no wares pots or broken wires seen.

Thank you!  Ikelly208

jay:
Great run down of what you have done and the results.

Given that your reel spin when you close the door - we can rule out door optics.
Since your getting the insert coin light on this also shows that your door optics are in good shape.

Initially I would say your coin optics are dead but you recently replaced them.
One thing that occasionally happens with coin comparators is that the sample coin stops being a good sample and a fresh coin helps.
If the coin is being rejected by the coin comparator then the optics don't matter....

However !! Given that the optic test button is doing nothing I would say that this sounds more like your optics are not getting power.
This would lead me to believe that you need to check the fuses. With the machine off - pull each fuse and use a meter set to resistance to test connectivity
 in the fuse. Sometimes they look good but are not.

I would also follow the wiring harness and make sure its plugged in properly at both ends.

Jim:
the optic test consists of three optics, 10-1, 11-1 and 12-1.  all three have to work in order for the unit to establish a credit.

as for the white switch, you may have to keep pressing it many times, sometimes it doesn't get used much so the internal contacts don't make the first couple times ,  flick it using your finger nail several times, this may get it to work, also while in test 11-1, besides checking the optic you can also check the switch with the 11-1 test.  its the only test that the switch works with, not 10-1 or 12-1.

Hope this helps.

Jim

ikelly208:
Thank you Jay and Jim for your quick responses !!

Jay:
Thank you for your suggestions !   I just now checked all of the items you suggested.  I have replaced the sample coin a few times thinking I may have an old vs new coin or something
 funny there but this did not resolve the issue (coin into hopper no credit).
I was able to remove each of the 3 fuses on the rear board behind the hopper.  Each fuse looked intact with no broken wire or burn marks.  Each fuse past the multimeter continuity test.
I removed, inspected and reseated each connector from the comparator and optics board back to the mother board.  I did not see any burn marks, frayed wires or backed out pins. 

Jim:
Thank you for your suggestions!  Excellent call out !  I did not know that the optics board white button could be tested within input test 11_1.  I put the machine in test mode and pressing the optics white button DID toggle 11_1 to 0 !  so that feels like a win for the optics board functionality/voltage.
Once I was out of input test mode I reset the machine again and I pressed the optics board white button multiple times and the machine did not register any credits.
That test got me thinking so I paced my cell phone inside on video mode to record the status of the comparitors LED after a restart.  Post restart/reel spins the coin comparator LED does turn green.
I was able to capture this on video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/XQ8sqMCM6n0

I reset the machine again this time with the external coin tray removed so I could reach up inside the machine and press the optics board white button with the main door closed.  After the machine reset and I verified the comparator LED was GREEN, then reached up inside the machine and pressed the optics board white button.  The machine still did not register any credits for white button presses,  but after many more white button presses the machine threw an error code 21.
The error code sticker inside the door states that error code 21: Coin In Tilt.  To me this seem like the optics board white button is sending some sort of signal as this is the first error code I’ve received during this troubleshooting process.

Using the S Plus Diagnostic Flip Cards I found on NewLifeGames.com in the IGT S+ FAQs page I went back through the coin in input tests 10, 11, 12.

I was not able to get Coin in A: 10_1 to toggle to Zero when inserting a coin simulating normal game play with the door open or closed.  In both an open main door and closed main door scenario a coin dropped into the coin slot, through the comparitor  and out to the external tray and the winner paid display reads a constant: 10_1.  This may still point to a comparitor issue unless I’m performing the Coin in A: 10_1 test incorrectly.  You stated in your response that all three coin in tests 10, 11, 12 need to work to establish credit.   Do you have a procedure on how to execute coin in A 10_1 correctly?

Input tests 11_1 and 12_1 both toggled to Zero when inserting a popsicle stick into the optics board coin path.
And for good measure test 13 toggled repeatedly from 1 to Zreo with the main door fully closed.

On a side note as I continue to press the white test button on the mother board to step through all of the test when I get to selftest page “6” in the Coins Played window it displays 100.
Reading the IGT S-plus owners manual I have it speaks to self test “6” as displaying the current denomination setting in cents.  100 would = a dollar.  My machine is a 2 coin $0.25 machine
Maybe I'm reading the denomination setting wrong but would the denomination set to $1 have the optics board looking for a larger dollar coin vs a quarter and cause the system to not register coin to credit? 
I’m not sure if my chip configuration even allows for a denomination change but I thought I'd mention it as it seemed odd.  My current Game Prom is: IGT S+ Game Prom SP872 Type 0/1/4/5 27C512

Thank you again for all of your assistance!
Ikelly208

jay:
Your going down the right route.
If you see the self tests changing then you are getting power.
Strange the white test button is not giving you a credit.
This should only work with the door open - albiet not many people would have tried to give it a credit with the door closed.

There is the popsicle stick test.
The optics work on A,B,C logic. There are 3 sensors. As the coin passes each optic beam is broken.
If the order is not ABC - top to bottom then you get the 21 error.
The intent is to prevent stringing (where someone puts a coin on a string and drops it and pulls it back up).
As soon as the optics don't happen in order you get the 21 error.

The popsicle stick test is to use a popsicle stick or a piece of cardboard cut roughly to the same dimensions and insert it into the coin slot and then you can see each optic change from a 1 to a 0 as it becomes blocked. I know you just replaced these but it almost sounds like they are bad... or perhaps something in the harness is shorted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
Go to full version