New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Make your own Konami KP3 Topper Controller  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Eddiie

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
Make your own Konami KP3 Topper Controller
« on: September 13, 2021, 05:40:45 PM »
I picked up a Konami KP3 Topper a while back and wanted to figure out how to control it myself.

Limited pictures at the moment, maybe fill in some more later.

Offline Eddiie

• Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
Re: Make your own Konami KP3 Topper Controller
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 05:49:12 PM »
Things you will need:

24v  2Amp power supply
Microcontroller,  I chose the Digispark Kickstarter  ATTINY85 board, it is super small and simple.   Here's 5 of them for $9.00  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HCR1CKX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The "ShiftPWM" library, I am using a modified version of this library to make it work with this Attiny chip.
Some dupont jumper cables (male on one end)

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 05:55:01 PM »
Posted on a board inside the topper and behind the LED panel that lights the sign are the pinouts on the 12 pin connector of this topper.
The connector is a JST 12 pin locking connector (I was unable to find a mate to this plug).  Using the the male end of the dupont cables you can make your own.

Here are the pinouts of this 12 pin connector.   Note the pin numbering is UP/DOWN, NOT LEFT to RIGHT.

1  - NC
2  - Gry     Clock signal, connect to  pin PB0 on microcontoller
3  - Gry     Serial Data In, connect to pin PB2 on microcontroller
4  - Gry     Latch, connect to pin PB4 on micro controller
5  - Gry     Output Enable  send this to ground
6  - Gry     Ground
7  - Black   Ground
8  - Red     +24 Volts
9  - NC
10 - NC
11 - NC
12 - NC

The topper is complete.

NOW we need to provide power to the microcontroller....
Before we do that, flash the microcontroller with the code and library using the arduino dev environment... attached is the library and my modified code to this post.  Note, this is a hacked up version of the sample code I made that comes with the shiftpwm library.   I have not yet made my own sequences.  The example is fine for me.

Note, you will want to add some sort of power disconnect from the power supply and microcontroller before connecting the microcontroller to the USB line to upload the code.  (so upload the code before the next step)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 06:14:11 PM by Eddiie »

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 06:18:52 PM »
Now we need to power the microcontroller from the 24v power supply.
For this I got a small buck power converter.   Connected the input to 24v from the power supply, tuned the output to 6V and connected it to the VIN and Ground pins of the microcontroller.
I also added a power disconnect by using the male/female ends of a dupont cable (red/black wires).

I got 6 power bucks from Amazon for $9.00

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 06:25:43 PM »
How does this work?

Well, it is kinda of over my head but from what I have figured out is that we are using pulse width modulation on every LED.   To control all 48 LEDs, they are connected to 12 x 16 channel bit shifters.  MBI5026 to be specific.    Here is a link with tutorial using bit shifters with Arduino and a popular serial -> parallel chip (the bit shifter) -> https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Foundations/ShiftOut    It really helped my understand how this is done.   That part that blows my mind is the speed at which this is happening.

Hope this was informative for someone.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal