New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: New to me PE with issues  (Read 2614 times)

Offline phurst

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • phurst New User has no influence.
  • NLG
New to me PE with issues
« on: September 21, 2021, 06:13:36 AM »
Good evening. I recently went to go look at a PE Joker Wild machine. The seller said it needed a battery, and the pictured in the ad indicated as much. Low Battery, Call Attendant. When I arrived and the seller turned on the machine, all we got was a blank screen. The monitor was obviously on, I could feel the static, and the screen was what you might call "white". We let it run for a while to see if the monitor was just slow in showing a picture, but there was no change over 6 or 7 minutes. As a result, I ended up getting it for what might as well be free.

Got it home, opened it up and pulled the MPU board to try reseating it, and it sure looks like someone at some point spilled a drink inside the cabinet. So, I guess I need to know how to determine if I need to replace one or both boards, and where I might find them. There are a few PE+ boards on eBay, but I didn't know if they were interchangeable, and I really only seemed to be able to find the MPU, not whatever the other board is, which definitely looks to be the worse of the two.

If I power on with the game board removed, the screen stays black. With it installed, the screen is "white". I get no reaction to pressing any buttons on the front of the machine, the test button inside or with the reset key.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: New to me PE with issues
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 05:22:22 PM »
I'm afraid that's not a spilled drink.  It's damage from the MPU battery that leaked out and corroded everything in it's path.  I think your best bet is to locate another motherboard and MPU board.  Look for a"Superboard" MPU.  A superboard allows you to have a multi-poker menu system with 5 different poker games. 

Offline phurst

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 05:32:23 PM »
Makes sense. Will a super board work in a PE, I thought they were only compatible with PE+ machines. Do you know if PE+ backplane are the same? I see several for sale but none marked as for a PE.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 07:26:18 AM »
Sorry, I missed the fact that it's a PE not a PE+  :duh: :duh:.  PE and PE+ MPU/motherboards are not interchangeable as far as I know.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 08:44:29 AM »
If you can get me a part number from the backplane (motherboard) , I probably have it, I do have the mpu as well.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 304
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 06:44:55 PM »
PE doesn't have a backplane board.

PE Plus and PE Plus Super boards do.

The pictures show a PE Plus board.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 09:16:28 PM »
I agree with Badbaud -- that appears to be an early PE+.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline phurst

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 07:16:47 AM »
Interesting, so I COULD potentially use a superboard?

I removed the backplane last night just to clean up any remaining battery juice in the cabinet. While I had it out and was wiping it off, I noticed an obviously broken trace. I fixed it, and now I'm at least getting a picture. I have no real illusions of successfully repairing either board, but I thought it was cool that it fixed something, and if nothing else I can verify the monitor is in good working order. There are obviously still issues though, as pressing the reset button does absolutely nothing. No resetting, no menu, and that door close message is on screen even with the door closed. Both lights in the candle are now flashing as well.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 07:28:35 AM »
yes, you could use a superboard, older PE machines had the board mounted in the back and had  cables and connectors going to the board.

you would need the right software for the super board, and the CORRECT CAP chip , it is important to get the right cap chip or else the color presentation is off.

a quick and easy way to identify which board is which. look at the location of the battery, PE plus have the battery on the outer edge.

here is a picture of the two boards.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 04:53:00 PM »
That button is not a reset button it is a self test button used to set up options.
To reset errors on a PE+ simply open then close the door.
When the door optics are lined up a system reset occurs.

Offline phurst

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 06:21:08 AM »
Oh, interesting! I assume the "reset" key on the side serves some other function?

Is it reasonable to assume the fact that the door open message stays on the screen even when the door is closed, and the CMOS message doesn't clear, and the fact that the self test button doesn't do anything is because my boards are hosed? The door optics are there, but without being able to self test, I don't know of another way to verify they're working. I guess what I'm asking is, is replacing both boards likely to resolve my issues and return the machine to a functioning state, or are there likely to be additional issues?

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 01:44:42 PM »
It could be your self test button is defective, don't toss out the baby with the bath water.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 12:18:13 AM »
The DOOR OPEN message should go away when the door is closed. The fact that it is not could be an indication of broken door optics, and ultimately you'll have to get that resolved in order to successfully clear the error and be able to play the machine.

For kicks, though, let's go through the motions of trying to get past the error on the screen:

Open the door, and press and hold the Self Test button for about ten seconds, then release it. If your speaker is working, you should hear a ding.

Next, close and fully latch the door, then turn the jackpot reset key switch on the side of the machine once and release it. If the machine correctly sees the door as closed and if the switches are working correctly, the error message you're seeing should clear.

You will likely encounter a second error message. Repeat the above procedure to clear that.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline phurst

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 07:44:21 AM »
Unfortunately, I've already tried with no success. Does anyone know if the MPU or the backplane are responsible for things like running the door optics and the self test button?

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 07:56:10 AM »
Those signals run through the backplane to the MPU.  Either one could be the cause, but I'd try the backplane first.  Yours had a lot of corrosion from the leaky battery and no doubt got into the connectors as well.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2021, 01:56:10 PM »
I would suggest trying a set of known good door optics, too. It's certainly possible that the door optics are bad

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2021, 07:42:13 AM »
I did find the backplane board, I think.  here are some pictures of the board I have.   Jim

Signature:

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2021, 05:26:32 PM »
That looks like one for a slant top.

Offline phurst

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2021, 05:11:31 AM »
Yeah, that one definitely doesn't look like mine.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2021, 09:50:03 AM »
Yes, that is definitely different,however, I believe I found the right board!, have so many different types and never did mark any of them . I did mark that board pictured, however just put PE + board, 

Signature:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal