New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: WMS BB2E light strip LEDs  (Read 1880 times)

Offline dragster73

• My Slot Collection
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • dragster73 New User has no influence.
  • JGC
    • Gameroom Service Collection
WMS BB2E light strip LEDs
« on: August 06, 2022, 02:08:18 PM »
Does anyone know the part number for the individual LEDs on the Small PCBs for the Emotive lights? Or does anyone have NOS boards they would like to sell?
WMS "BB1 Pick Your Fortune"
WMS "BB1 Jackpot Party"
WMS "Match Game" CPU-NXT.
WMS "Gold Fish 2" Transmissive
WMS "BB3 Willy Wonka"
WMS "BB2 Lord Of The Rings"
WMS "BB2 Winning Bid 2"
IGT Vision "Red White And Blue"
IGT Vision "Pink Panther"
IGT I-Game "Munster"

Offline Eddiie

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
Re: WMS BB2E light strip LEDs
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 12:24:18 PM »
Replacing those LEDs has not been possible for me.   I can get them OFF, but not putting them on again without damage.
I found some LEDs on old BB2 reels that never get used. - the very very very top PCB of LEDs.. Brand new, pretty much.  Removing them from THOSE PCBs are easy.   The Emotive LEDs are aluminunimmm or something and suck up the heat.  I've spent some money on little LED replacement tools for TVs but they dont get hot enough either.

So I have decided to recreate the damn things from scratch.  (minus the firmware on the microcontroller)
I am almost done with the schematic...  Still need to lay out the PCBs.    Send out for assembly and test.   I never get anything right the first time, maybe the second revision.   It annoys me to no end to see dim Blue lights on the BB2e .. GGRRR

The LEDs I use are restricted to what parts are available by the assembler (i use jlcpcb.com).   I've found some that look good on a screenshot and made the schematic to match those.   

I would like to know the original part number, too, but won't do me any good if I have to solder them on myself.

If you try, practice on bad one's first.  Save the good one's for once you have the process down.   I have a lot of bad one's if you want.  lol

Offline dragster73

• My Slot Collection
  • JGC
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 02:07:51 PM »
Have you tried to solder paste type of solder that comes in a syringe?  I can not practice replacing them if I don't have a replacement. I would be interested to see what your replacements look like once you get further into the project. Thank You for responding.
WMS "BB1 Jackpot Party"
WMS "BB3 Willy Wonka"
WMS "BB2 Winning Bid 2"
IGT I-Game "Munster"

Offline Eddiie

• Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 06:20:59 PM »
Making progress..  It is slow.  Next is to add the traces..

For some reason I thought the picture would be bigger...

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 07:23:11 PM »
It is done.
My first 4 layer board...

Saving up to get a trial run done...  Each PCB will cost me about $150 to have made and assembled.

Offline dragster73

• My Slot Collection
  • JGC
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 08:36:09 AM »
$600 to replace the four boards?
WMS "BB1 Jackpot Party"
WMS "BB3 Willy Wonka"
WMS "BB2 Winning Bid 2"
IGT I-Game "Munster"

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 12:45:38 PM »
So the LED driver chip they use ... It seems to be pretty unique.    Out of stock everywhere.  Looking to see if there is a different package available of the same chip.
It has gone from 3.00 to about 40.00 a chip.   Each board uses 3 of them (Red, Green, Blue).
There are minimum pieces required of these things.    The quote I got back was over $1200 for the required number of chips for a trial run.
There is still other components to cover too...
Putting this project on the shelf.

Back to trying to change the LEDs.. lol

This is the LED Driver - https://jlcpcb.com/parts/componentSearch?isSearch=true&searchTxt=TLC59116

If someone finds a secret stash, let me know.

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 10:40:30 AM »

The reason for PCB assembly is because LEDs are sensitive to temperature and there are components on both sides of the PCB, and these chips are too small for me.

There does not seem to be a reason all the components could go on one side (with the exception of the RJ45 connector), which would make life so much easier.   I'd even assembly.   

The part shortages ...   They also cannot source the microcontroller.   

Maybe not done with this yet.    Will look for same parts in different packages and move to front.

Looking to use this LED - https://jlcpcb.com/partdetail/liteon-LTSTK563BGEW/C284911    because it is a name brand and there were in stock at the part house in large quantities.  Figured it would be a good place to start.  Need to find a source here.

By the way, the default brightness is set by one resistor on each LED driver.   It is super tiny, located above the LEDs...   Changing the resistor to a lower value should make the LED brighter, but it will also burn it out..   How long?  Who knows.   They're already burned out...   If only they used a larger sized resistor package.

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 12:22:51 PM »
I ordered some parts in different packages.  Going to breadboard it and see how it goes...  Few weeks for parts to arrive...

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 09:05:00 AM »
Took a week to update the PCB with different package types of the same chip and moved everything I could to the front.  Still 4 layers..
Sent a few off to be made and assembled, I'll have to put the chips on myself.  The cost has gone way down..    Wonder if it will work.
Just realized I forgot to add ground planes on all layers.  Hmmm...

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 01:38:13 AM »
While I wait for the PCBs to arrive, other parts are showing up..   I put it together on a breadboard...  These are the same chips, just different packages..

Only 1 LED hooked up at the moment.   Not sure if you can see it.    (Top Left under the Red and Yellow wires)

The LED drivers are TSSOP28.  I've never soldered anything that small before.  And they are SUPER tiny, but I did it with minimal problems using a lot of flux.

If I plug it in and get a BLUE LED I think it is a success.

The orange breadboard are the dipswitches..

Let's go plug it in.........................

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 01:46:06 AM »
Unfortunately, I do not have a game loaded on my BB2e so I cannot test further, but I got a Blue light!

See?

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2022, 12:52:34 PM »
The PCBs are in..  Still waiting for the RJ45 jacks to arrive and need to put the chips on.   Amazing how close I got the holes and notches.

I also tested the LED on the breadboard and it works.

Brightness of the LEDs are controlled by R9, R10, R11.. 500 something ohm on the PCB,  1k ohm on the breadboard.   1K seems bright enough, will swap the 500's for 1k.

Other than that, it looks like they missed the diode...  Not really important in this situation.   Looking forward to testing it.

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2022, 02:22:44 PM »
The RJ45 connectors came in.
The board works.   Going to move it behind the diffuser and run it for a while (days?) to see how it goes.  If all goes well, will make the right side next.
 :cool_thumb_up:

Here is a short video showing 2 of them working (same address)...

https://youtu.be/HBe9fM726UM

Offline a69mopar

• Global NLG Site Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 83
  • a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
    • www.gtaslots.com
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2022, 05:35:27 PM »
Well done, they look great.

Thanks for sharing,
Wayne

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2022, 02:29:25 PM »
Thank you!

Right side is done.      Will send it off soon to be made..

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2022, 02:38:46 PM »
A couple of things......

1)  I noticed kapton tape on the dip switches.  It looks like that is used to shield the heat from the soldering process.   Using this technique, the LEDs could probably be replaced if anyone wants to try.   Put some kapton tape on the top of the new LEDs in an effort to help stop the heat from damaging them.   I tested this on 3 LEDs so far...

2) The LEDs are RGB LEDs.   I am going out on a limb on saying this, but I am pretty sure ANY 5050 RGB LED will work as long as the leads for the anodes are on one side and the leads for the cathodes are on the other side.  The order of the colors matter too.   I think Red comes first (pins 1 and 6), then Green (pins 2 and 5), then Blue (pins 3 and 4)

If you mess up your board, let me know.  :)

Offline dragster73

• My Slot Collection
  • JGC
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2022, 10:44:00 AM »
Nice work, I admire your dedication to the project.
WMS "BB1 Jackpot Party"
WMS "BB3 Willy Wonka"
WMS "BB2 Winning Bid 2"
IGT I-Game "Munster"

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal