New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally Alpha restart  (Read 9865 times)

Offline keystone9

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • keystone9 Might someday be someone...keystone9 Might someday be someone...keystone9 Might someday be someone...keystone9 Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
Bally Alpha restart
« on: November 21, 2014, 06:55:15 AM »
I have a Bally Alpha reel game that when I restart the game I have to push and hold the reset button for the game to boot and then all works well. Any idea of what can be done or looked at to have a normal restart? Thanks. Bill.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:28:57 PM by Ron (r273) »

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: Bally Alpha restart
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 07:56:12 AM »
Have you tried a different mpu power supply?
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline keystone9

• keystone9 Might someday be someone...keystone9 Might someday be someone...keystone9 Might someday be someone...keystone9 Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 08:03:21 AM »
Yes I did. Bill.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 08:18:35 AM »
I know it sounds like a stretch, but got a different bios chip you can try?
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline BettorSlots

• Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 47
  • BettorSlots Might someday be someone...BettorSlots Might someday be someone...BettorSlots Might someday be someone...BettorSlots Might someday be someone...
    • Bettor Slots
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:44:30 AM »
Just curious...you might try this...

Turn the machine on and close all the doors.  Let it boot up to the point where it locks up again (and I mean fully locked up...not just the blue screen that keeps flashing false errors during the normal boot process).  Typically at that point a blue screen will pop up saying "call attendant" (not flashing any other errors).  Instead of opening the door at this stage, try turning the jackpot key one time.  Sometimes an ugly brown orange window will pop with message about what the problem is...or at least give you some clues.  It might tell you something about NVram failure, or might point out something about jurisdiction conflicts, or even something mechanical like a display failure...or other things to point you in the right direction.  The message is typically followed by a message to turn the jackpot key again to restart the machine, which is essentially what you are doing by holding in on the reset button.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 12:35:39 PM »
Based on his description, I'm assuming that when he powers on, all he gets is a black screen with no response form the MPU, until he holds down the reset button.  Am I correct?

Offline keystone9

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 03:37:11 PM »
You are correct Rick. Over the weekend I am going to try another MPU power supply and see what happens. Thanks. Bill.

Offline keystone9

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 12:09:17 PM »
I tried another MPU power supply with the same results, not powering up correctly. Next I am going to try a different bios chip and see what that does. I will post the results. Bill.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 12:14:17 PM »
Try replacing the 24 volt power supply in the cabinet, and the 5/12 volt if that doesn't fix it.  It has to be something at power up in the cabinet.  I had a cabinet that would not show video on screen for about 30 seconds, and then it would pop on with the video and it would be 1/2 way in the boot process.  It turned out to be a 24V power supply with bad caps.  You can eliminate the mpu by powering it out of the cabinet and hooking up a vga monitor to see if it just powers up to a boot screen in a normal fashion.  Pull out the mpu and plug a power cable to it and a vga monitor and see what happens.

Offline keystone9

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 10:36:26 AM »
Ok. I replaced the 807  bios chip with a spare that I have and bingo, the game boots up like it should. Now can somebody tell me what the bios chip does in the operation of the game and why they go bad? Thanks. bill.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 11:38:22 AM »
BIOS (Basic Input Output System).  It's basically the low level software that manages the hardware in the lowest levels.  The OS, then uses BIOS API (Application Programming Interface) calls in order to move data from one place to the other.  This allows for an OS to run in different hardware platforms without having to write an OS for every hardware configuration.   It is VERY rare for a ROM eprom to go bad, but it does happen on occasion.  Your situation is especially puzzling since most of the failures is either works or not at all.  About the only thing I can theorize is that there's some kind of poor connection inside the prom, that as it powers up and heats up, it expands just enough to make contact, but again, that would just be a guess.  Glad you got it going though, and this will serve as another solution for this kind of problem.

Offline slots-4-u

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • slots-4-u Is working their way up.slots-4-u Is working their way up.slots-4-u Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 11:49:27 AM »
Thanks guys, we learn something new every day

Offline keystone9

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 01:52:53 PM »
It's one thing to learn how to repair but it's also great to get an idea on how things work. Thanks. Bill.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal