New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Report Bugs you run into..  (Read 218549 times)

Offline Joeylc

• Founder and CEO of New_Life_Games_LLC
  • Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 60
  • Joeylc Is a rising star!Joeylc Is a rising star!Joeylc Is a rising star!Joeylc Is a rising star!Joeylc Is a rising star!Joeylc Is a rising star!
  • KG7NLG
    • New Life Games LLC
Report Bugs you run into..
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:47:58 AM »

"Sell one game, two more shall take its place!"
"The Seeds of our Ultimate Destruction are Slowly and Quietly being Planted in the Fertile soil of Political Correctness”
                                                                   Joey Carruthers 2011

Hottest day in the United States recorded August 11, 1983 at 2:21 p.m. was 132 F. - recorded in the shade at the Bullhead City Fire Department. 
BUT IT WAS A DRY HEAT

I Have gone to find myself, and if I get back before I return, keep me here!
  ???

1-888-NLG-SLOTS 928-754-4147
e-Bay ID NewLifeGames_net

Offline tjkeller

• NLG Docs, FAQs, & Files
  • Sr NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • tjkeller New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Report Bugs you run into..
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »
From one of my posts:

I don't see where we have the ability to do so. Is this a power that has not been givento Doc Writer?...I do have the ability on the other site. (or am I just a gink who hasn'tfigured it out  :-[   [size=78%])[/size]

After the smiley it has[/size] "[ size = 78% ]" I did not put that there...it showed up on it's own for some reason.On THIS post it was showing [ / size ] and [ / font ] at the end of my sentence....something is going on to cause these to show up.[size=78%]
Thank God for Friends!!!

Offline tjkeller

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:13:29 PM »
Another thing I noticed is on copy & paste the font changes to the small 8pt vs the default 10pt.
Thank God for Friends!!!

Offline StatFreak

• rotaredoM etiS GLN labolG
  • Global NLG Site Moderator
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • StatFreak New User has no influence.
  • Warning! Spammers will be eaten, with relish!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:27:07 PM »
Joey, I moved this post to the open area so that everyone can help look for bugs. We can always move it back later.

Stat :31-
I found myself at NLG :garfield:  ..but got lost again on the way home. :scratch-head_2:
If found, please email me to myself. Thanks. :mail_2:

Offline tjkeller

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 08:44:33 PM »
Not sure if it is a BUG or intended but after you reply to a post it takes you out of the topic.
It would be best that it returns you back to where you were. I know some topics get a lot
of replies and getting exited every time you reply then finding the topic to get back in seems
counter productive.
Thank God for Friends!!!

Offline tjkeller

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:46:16 PM »
Joey, I moved this post to the open area so that everyone can help look for bugs. We can always move it back later.

Stat :31-

Thanks Stat!...I'm having a difficult time getting used to "finding" the topics. Seems to be a little more work right now.

Travis
Thank God for Friends!!!

Offline StatFreak

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 08:59:05 PM »
Agreed. I think that my suggestions of getting the content to the top of the page will help.

Note that the path indicating which board/sub-board/topic one is in is located above the Beta Testing banner and Site Navigation banner. I think it makes it more difficult to see and find.

I'll post that in the look and feel thread.
I found myself at NLG :garfield:  ..but got lost again on the way home. :scratch-head_2:

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 02:21:06 PM »

Right now I have to do the three-step verification for every post or reply I post (like this one here) -- I have to do the captcha (letter verification), the "what year is this?" question, and the "do you agree with the TOS" question.

These questions should be restricted to initial registration only -- members shouldn't have to jump through these hoops for every post.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline Joeylc

• Topic Moderator
  • Joeylc Is a rising star!Joeylc Is a rising star!Joeylc Is a rising star!Joeylc Is a rising star!Joeylc Is a rising star!Joeylc Is a rising star!
  • KG7NLG
    • New Life Games LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 02:36:46 PM »
try now
"The Seeds of our Ultimate Destruction are Slowly and Quietly being Planted in the Fertile soil of Political Correctness”
                                                                   Joey Carruthers 2011

Hottest day in the United States recorded August 11, 1983 at 2:21 p.m. was 132 F. - recorded in the shade at the Bullhead City Fire Department. 
BUT IT WAS A DRY HEAT

???

Offline scotty

• NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • scotty Is a rising star!scotty Is a rising star!scotty Is a rising star!scotty Is a rising star!scotty Is a rising star!scotty Is a rising star!
  • Hello
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 02:38:42 PM »
test ver
NLG CEO

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 02:50:35 PM »
try now

Fixed now, thanks!

New bug: I was subscribed to this topic simply by posting a reply.  The default behavior should be that folks are not automatically subscribed to topics they reply in.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline StatFreak

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 06:36:05 PM »
Fixed now, thanks!

New bug: I was subscribed to this topic simply by posting a reply.  The default behavior should be that folks are not automatically subscribed to topics they reply in.

I'm not sure I agree with this one. If new members are automatically subscribed, start receiving emails and don't want them, that will direct them to their profile to actively decide what to do. They will also discover that they can have notifications on some topics and not others. If it's turned off by default, members might never even realize that notification is available to them.

Most members don't post all over the board the way senior members do, so they won't end up receiving dozens of messages a day. They post in their help thread or classified thread and not much else. For those members, notification is probably a plus.

Just a thought.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 07:47:56 PM »
Grumble.  I guess I'm okay with that.  We'll need to write a FAQ on how to turn it off, though.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 07:50:35 PM »
So, how do we disable the instant message thing and the "Chat Room" thing that insist on floating over the right side and the lower right corner of every page?

I see how I can set myself to unavailable or invisible, but what if I want to get rid of the thing all together so it's not floating in the corner of every page?

Even if I minimize it, it's still there, and it re-maximizes itself on every page navigation.

Edited to add:

I'm not wholesale opposed to the notion of instant messages or a chat room, but is there a way to implement it so it's more of an opt-in situation on a dedicated page, and not forced on every page I navigate to throughout the site?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 07:56:55 PM by knagl »

Offline tjkeller

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 08:14:37 PM »
I'm not wholesale opposed to the notion of instant messages or a chat room, but is there a way to implement it so it's more of an opt-in situation on a dedicated page, and not forced on every page I navigate to throughout the site?

I agree with Kevin on this one. I like the idea of having chat available but users should be able to turn it off.
Like Kevin said, I don't like how it is constantly there and re-maximizes...its kind of annoying. Maybe you could
set up a stationary sidebar like Facebook?

I DO like the chat ROOM concept. People can go into a room if they're feeling chatty.
If possible, I also think Instant Chat should show only your "Buddies" like on Facebook to help keep it private.
We could have public Chat-ROOMS for everyone. The PM system still works if you want to msg someone
not on your Buddy List.
Thank God for Friends!!!

Offline StatFreak

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 09:41:10 PM »
I agree with Kevin on this one. I like the idea of having chat available but users should be able to turn it off.
Like Kevin said, I don't like how it is constantly there and re-maximizes...its kind of annoying. Maybe you could
set up a stationary sidebar like Facebook?

I DO like the chat ROOM concept. People can go into a room if they're feeling chatty.
If possible, I also think Instant Chat should show only your "Buddies" like on Facebook to help keep it private.
We could have public Chat-ROOMS for everyone. The PM system still works if you want to msg someone
not on your Buddy List.

That makes three of us.

FYI, you can click on the "offline" choice when the options pop up and it will reduce to a small piece in the corner that reads (of all things) "offline," but the two floating tabs never go away completely.

Maybe a "Chat" button that opens the thing and an option to close it and sign out?

If that's a problem to implement, then perhaps a button that reads "Open Chat" when it's closed and changes to "Close Chat" when it's open. The problem there is I see lots of non-computer folks asking how to close the thing after it's open because they don't see or understand the use of the modified button sitting back on the main web page: They'll be looking for a way to close it from the app.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:42:46 PM by StatFreak »

Offline StatFreak

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 09:50:59 PM »
Grumble.  I guess I'm okay with that.  We'll need to write a FAQ on how to turn it off, though.

Well, unfortunately, the links in the emails that read, "Unsubscribe to this topic by using this link" don't go to the notification page in the member's profile. It goes to a page at the thread level asking if they want to change notification for that topic.

Maybe a solution would be to add one more line to the notification emails that says something like,

"To manage all of your notifications, click here:" http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?action=profile;area=notification"
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:54:33 PM by StatFreak »

Offline StatFreak

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 10:36:56 PM »
Joey, I found two one more bug when the code SMS brackets are used.

• The code button on the reply page only inserts the opening tag but not the closing tag. This only happens in user-friendly mode. If I click on the "Toggle View" button so that all code commands are shown, it does create both tags.
  • Second, the text doesn't wrap and it ends up creating a scroll bar.
Example:

Disregard the failure to wrap. It doesn't, but silly me just realized that that is because code will break if lines wrap and someone copies the code for actual use.

Code: [Select]
This is a test of code text in the code brackets. If the text is longer than one line it doesn't wrap. This is a test of code text in the code brackets. If the text is longer than one line it doesn't wrap.
This is a test of code text in the code brackets. If the text is longer than one line it doesn't wrap.
This is a test of code text in the code brackets. If the text is longer than one line it doesn't wrap.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 10:42:37 PM by StatFreak »

Offline StatFreak

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 11:02:47 PM »
One more issue.

I notice that when I "quote" a post that has quotes inside of it, I only get the primary post contents, not the other quotes in the post. By definition, that also means that it won't automatically nest quotes that are quoted, too.

The site has always been setup to quote the full post, including other quotes within it. I'd like to see it work as it has. It's easier to delete the extra post text if it is unwanted than it is to hunt back through the thread gathering every quoted post to reconstruct the thought stream.

There might be an indexed view option that allows members to read posts indented by association (all posts referring to previous posts show up indented under the parent post. I've seen it in other forums, but NLG users aren't used to that sort of viewing. It also doesn't work correctly unless everyone replying or referring to an intermediate post clicks on the specific "reply" button in that post. (An extra button that generally accompanies posts on a Forum board that supports this view.) If they click on the generic "reply" button at the top or bottom of the thread instead, that view style won't nest the posts properly.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:05:08 PM by StatFreak »

Offline Joeylc

• Topic Moderator
  • KG7NLG
    • New Life Games LLC
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »
One more issue.

I notice that when I "quote" a post that has quotes inside of it, I only get the primary post contents, not the other quotes in the post. By definition, that also means that it won't automatically nest quotes that are quoted, too.

The site has always been setup to quote the full post, including other quotes within it. I'd like to see it work as it has. It's easier to delete the extra post text if it is unwanted than it is to hunt back through the thread gathering every quoted post to reconstruct the thought stream.

There might be an indexed view option that allows members to read posts indented by association (all posts referring to previous posts show up indented under the parent post. I've seen it in other forums, but NLG users aren't used to that sort of viewing. It also doesn't work correctly unless everyone replying or referring to an intermediate post clicks on the specific "reply" button in that post. (An extra button that generally accompanies posts on a Forum board that supports this view.) If they click on the generic "reply" button at the top or bottom of the thread instead, that view style won't nest the posts properly.

I SET: Remove nested quotes when quoting to no... try it now
                                                                   Joey Carruthers 2011

BUT IT WAS A DRY HEAT

???

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal