New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT Reel Touch Top Video display problem  (Read 4574 times)

Offline Border01

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • Border01 Is working their way up.Border01 Is working their way up.Border01 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
IGT Reel Touch Top Video display problem
« on: December 08, 2018, 11:23:10 AM »
My top monitor stopped working last night. It’s black and the lower display says waiting for video display. I changed the top monitor battery and swapped the top box power supply from another working machine. No luck so far. Not sure what to try next?  I do have another working reel touch I can rob parts from. Any help would be greatly appreciated

James

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: IGT Reel Touch Top Video display problem
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 11:34:32 AM »
James,
Open the top box and power up the machine see if any LEDs are lit on the board.  You said you changed the top box power supply. Is the fan on the motherboard CPU chip working ( not the box fan the one on the heat sink)?
Are there any noises or alarms coming from  the top box?
Rich
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline Border01

• Border01 Is working their way up.Border01 Is working their way up.Border01 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »
Thanks Rich

The fan is working, no noises, red led light on by top box button battery. Blue and amber led on the card next to hard drive

Offline Border01

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 11:49:30 AM »
Exact same LEDs as the working machine

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »
When it died were you playing it?
Board is getting power.
Is it bios 1 or 2.
Not much left pent 3 chip or motherboard.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline Border01

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 12:06:32 PM »
I’m pretty sure it’s a bios 2. It’s the Munsters machine. I was not playing it. It was on and functioning and 5 minutes later I looked and had no top monitor.

Offline Border01

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 12:09:13 PM »
The mpu has 2 green lights on with door open. The working machine mpu has amber light with door open

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 12:28:41 PM »
Lower units seem to be working . Is the working machine bios 2 also.
This board is a direct replacement but if the Pentium 3 processor is bad it won't help.
https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m4084.l1313&_nkw=+DFI+ITOX+ST2K-E+ST2KE4-100+75513400+PGA370+Flex-ATX+Intel+Motherboard+%2BST2K-3SL5

Offline Border01

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 01:20:56 PM »
The working machine says energy star?  Is the item I need the mpu?  The working and non working machine have different mpu’s. I call the board with the game EPROMs the mpu?

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 01:29:19 PM »
James the top box MPU is suspect. The motherboard that is in the top box. The lower units on both machines are ok.

Offline Border01

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 01:45:31 PM »
Oh ok. Can I swap from the working machine?

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 02:06:32 PM »
I would try just the processor chip ( the one under the heat sink) and see if that's it.

Offline Border01

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 03:20:06 PM »
Is it the black square one above the button battery?  How do I remove it?

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 08:04:43 PM »
It's the one with the fan on it. (About an inch and a half square)
The fan and heatsink are clipped on by a silver spring bracket. You must push the spring clip down by where it hooks to the socket.  Then the processor itself has a plastic lever on the side of the socket that it's mounted on. Lots of pins be careful.
You probably also should have some fresh heatsink compound when you reinstall the fan and heatsink on the processor chip.

Offline Border01

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 10:39:07 AM »
Thanks very much. I will pick up some compound this week and give it a try.  I’ll let you know how I made out

Offline Samm329

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Samm329 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 09:13:29 PM »
My top box had the same error when I bought it. That little yellow sub-board was the culprit. I bought a new mobo and harvested it’s sub board and it came back to life just like that!

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 02:47:31 AM »
Sam,
I believe your error was still booting into the game. His lower VFD is still "waiting for video display " so I don't believe his top box is booting at all.

Offline Samm329

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 08:15:28 PM »
But if his is asking for the calibration like mine was, then what will happen is the bottom display window will say waiting for video display, until the touch part is calibrated — Due note other members; per personal conversation qbert has told me that calibrating after every time turning it on shouldn’t happen; but that’s what my machine likes — but after calibrating he touch, then the machine says me app verify or something if like that, reels spin, and then game starts. If the display part times out, then the game will start the boot sequence again.

Offline Samm329

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 08:23:18 PM »
Oh!!!!

If you want to eliminate that little yellow sub board, plug an external monitor into the side of your top box. If you have display on it, that sub board is your point of failure. In controls the backlights and the display picture.

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 05:54:51 AM »
Worth a try James

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal