New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Frankenstein needs help? Where's McGyver?  (Read 11976 times)

Offline modessitt

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • modessitt New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Frankenstein needs help? Where's McGyver?
« on: July 24, 2015, 08:21:49 AM »
So a lady brings in a video poker that doesn't work. Says some wires came loose and needed to be reconnected, and battery might be dead. It's a Model 1170A:

This thing is Frankensteined. Addons, wires everywhere, etc. Check out the pics:

These are the wires that are loose. They come from the small beige addon board:

I've looked over the board for places that look like they might have been soldered to, but only see one leg on this chip:

Don't see anything on the other board where they might have attached.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:11:52 AM by modessitt »

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Frankenstein needs help - is this a PE? Where's McGyver?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:28:52 AM »
It looks like you have an IGT Fortune II Poker machine.. I have no idea where those extra wires might go?? Some very interesting repairs done to that board.. The bottom two boards are sound on the left and IO on the right.. As for the small beige board, I don't have a clue, none of my MPU boards have that add on??  :Scratch-Head:
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 06:15:34 PM »
About those 2 loose wires (pink and black, the pink has a 1,000 ohm resistor attached), maybe the black wire connects to that U22 ic leg you found that has extra solder on it. That leg is pin 12 of U22, which is an MC3302 ic, and pin 12 is a ground connection. Often a black wire is used for a ground connection, maybe whoever did this work followed convention.

Since the loose pink and black wires are twisted together closely the loose pink wire (with resistor attached) would connect somewhere nearby to wherever the black wire connects. Look for extra solder not just on ic legs but also on the leads of other nearby parts, like resistors and capacitors, etc. The loose ends of both wires look like they are curved the same, as if they were attached to similar places such as on the upper arches of ic legs. So there should be 2 places near each other with extra solder that these wires attached to. The installer wouldn't have used a lot more wire than he had to, so you might get an idea of where they go from the length of the wires.

The 3 wires twisted together (white, brown, pink) that appear to be connected to the bottom of the beige addon board run back to 3 stacked chips that look like 82S147 proms. An 82S147 prom holds 512 bytes of information. The 3 wires probably individually connect to each proms CE (chip enable/activate) pin 15, which is the 6th leg from the notched end of the ic. All the other legs on the 82S147 are identical, that's why it is ok to stack them like this and add more prom storage to the board. So it looks like that beige addon board is controlling these proms. Maybe this mod was to add additional character graphics or other info for whatever additional games are stored in the mpu eproms that originally the machine did not have. There is something written on the board near these stacked proms, but I can't read it, looks like "xxx prom".

It looks like maybe the yellow wire that connects to the little addon beige board brings in a control signal from U22 to the beige addon board and it then selects the correct prom out of the 3 stacked proms for the game to use. Power for the beige addon board comes in on the twisted 2 wires that are violet and black. This is all just a wild-a$$ guess. A schematic for the mpu board would be handy, even an original schematic before the mod work, as it would help to show what signals the little beige addon board is connected to.

What is the part number of the ic on the beige addon board?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:57:04 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 02:00:22 PM »
Hmm. I'll check that when I get back to the shop on Monday.

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 07:34:21 AM »
Ok, the chip on the beige board can be seen here:

The black wire is connected to Pin 5 which according to the datasheet ssems to be the Vss.  The pink wire is connected to pin 18 which would appear to be the RA1.

This is the only place on the board (besides U22) that I can find solder without anything else attached:

Here is the area around U22.  I don't see anywhere the other wire might have attached:

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 08:07:58 AM »
In your picture of U22, it looks to me that something was attached on the 3rd leg, just under the MC..
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 08:42:28 AM »
From what I can see-

That ic (PIC16c54A) on the small beige board is a programmable microcontroller. It is like a small microprocessor but has its own internal rom that stores a software program someone has written and loaded into the chip. It also has input and output ports that let it monitor signals, then output a signal when certain conditions happen. Since it has all that internally it is called a microcontroller instead of a microprocessor. Anyway, it looks like that beige board is controlling those 3 stacked 82s147 chips that are connected to the 3 twisted wires (pink, white, brown) that run from the bottom of the beige board. To do this it needs certain signals brought to it, I think that is what the loose pink and black wires are for, along with the yellow wire from U22 and the brown and white pair of wires.

The tall skinny gray part on the beige board next to the ic is a crystal, it is part of the clock/oscillator circuit that the ic requires, it is probably connected to pins 15 & 16 of the ic.

As you said, the loose black wire is a ground connection, it connects to the beige board ground connection, and the PIC16c54A ground connection (Vss) at pin 5 is also connected to that beige board ground trace. That ground path for the beige board is connected back to the ground path on the main board thru the other black wire that is twisted with the violet wire. This way the beige board is grounded to the main board. The violet wire brings power (probably 5v or similar) to the beige board from the main board.

Pin 18 (the pink wire) of the PIC16c54 is the RA1 I/O port on the ic. This can be either an input or an output depending on the software inside the PIC controller. It looks like there is also another I/O port connection to the ic on pin 2 (RA3) with the white wire that is paired with the brown wire (a ground connection) that runs from the beige board to another board someplace? Where do the brown and white wires connect? Could the loose pink and black wires connect to the same area? Or could the loose wires maybe connect to U22, with the loose black wire soldered to U22 pin 12 (where the extra solder is) and could the loose pink wire with attached resistor maybe connect to either side of the diode that's at the end of the yellow wire connected to U22? I'm thinking that probably isn't it because of the way the loose wires are formed, close and parallel to each other, as if they were each connected to someplace not far apart.

This whole thing looks like an elaborate mod, possibly done by a professional shop, so as to add new game features to the machine. Maybe the owner knows the people that did the mod work and they could provide info that would help with where the wires connect? Are there any stickers on or inside the machine or the mpu board that show the name of a shop or slot business that might have worked on it?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:18:25 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »
I zoomed into the picture I took of U22, and it looks like there is some solder on pin 1 as well as pin 12. Assuming black goes to pin 12, then pink would go to pin 1.

The pink, brown, and white braid goes to the 3-chip stack I posted a pic of earlier.  Yellow wire goes to pin 2 of U22.  Purple and black braid foes to a couple caps on the board - purple to the left side of C47 and black to the right side of C46. Orange and white wires go to a 2-pin molex that connects to another coming from the cabinet.

Don't see any labels on the board.  I'll check inside the cabinet next time I get a chance.

If there is no objection (and I'll wait a bit to see if one pops up), I'll connect black to U22-12 and pink to U22-1, check and maybe change the battery, then hook it up and see what happens.  If I have to do a Clear, what's the procedure on these?

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 09:56:21 AM »
BTW - that yellow wire from U22-3 with the diode on it connects to the microcontroller on the beige board at pin 17 which lists as RA0.

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 10:02:47 AM »
The orange wire at the molex connects to Pin 5 of the microcontroller, so that seems to be a ground connection.  The white wire from the molex connects to Pin 2 of the microcontroller which is RA3.  I'll correct the pin info in my last post.

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 10:56:32 AM »
Hooked up the wires as described. Changed it the battery. Game turns on to a solid blue screen.

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 11:30:49 AM »
Swapped out the 5v regulator  (LM338K) with a known good one - still a solid blue screen.

If those two red LEDs on the back side of the cpu are supposed to be lit - they aren't.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 12:04:40 PM »
You were asking about a way to clear.. I beleave there is a switch on the ram board.. If I remember correct, you remove the MPU, then turn that switch off, then back on. Reinsert the MPU and power back on.. There should be a procedure here somewhere.
And remember...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »
Hooked up the wires as described. Changed it the battery. Game turns on to a solid blue screen.

I think those 3 stacked chips are what they call "Color Attribute Proms", they help create the graphic images seen on the screen.  On the board near them it is written "CAP Prom". Looks like the mod to this machine's mpu board was to add the extra circuitry to run additional or newer game software than the machine came with originally. The mpu board had 1 CAP originally, this mod added 2 more.

This looks like your original mpu board before it was modified:

http://rudysdeals.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3129&search=fortune

and

http://rudysdeals.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3700&search=igt+cpu

Not a Player's Edge, is a Fortune II as Amechanic said.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:36:40 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »
Another idea is to contact Larry Weber at K-Lar, they are in Las Vegas, phone 702-363-9998. They are very experienced on these older machines, they may know about this mod and can give helpful information.

Offline modessitt

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 07:23:48 PM »
Thanks. I'm wondering at this point if it might not be better to just return it back to it's original state to get it working.

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 07:40:19 PM »
If you can do that, why not do it? Customer isn't gonna care as long as the machine works...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 07:44:31 PM »
If you can do that, why not do it? Customer isn't gonna care as long as the machine works...

What if the modification added some games that the customer likes and wants to continue playing? Replacing the mpu board with a standard one (or removing the mods from this one) may take away the customer's favorite game?

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 07:59:30 PM »
Good point. Is there a way to find out for sure that's what the mod was for without having to fix it to find out?
I suppose the customer could provide a list of what games it had and it could be compaired to a list of games they normally had...

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 08:19:30 PM »
Those Fortune II machines were only a single game. Usually Draw Poker, or a Deuces Wild. I've had a could of the over the years, and all were single game, 52 card decks.
And remember...

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal