New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: S2000 power issues  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Phan000

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
S2000 power issues
« on: March 17, 2021, 06:32:04 AM »
Just got this s2000.   No display, florescent lights work in belly and award glass.

I swapped out the battery.  Initially the board, lights and fan stayed on.  Board has lights on, but slow blinking red light.

Now machine powers on, but only for a few minutes.  Seems to struggle for juice, and eventually lights, fan and board turn off.

Thinking this is a bad power supply?  I’ve tried running it with all ballasts unplugged.  No change.

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 350
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: S2000 power issues
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 07:14:46 AM »
Sounds like a power supply problem but the red LED on the MPU tells me something else isn't right. Remove the static ram chip RM1 & reinstall it properly. It appears to be offset to one side as if two pins are missing the socket. We can go from there if you still have power issues after correcting that.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 07:54:34 AM »
also your SB chip is in backwards,  notch towards the LEDS.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 350
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 08:01:13 AM »
also your SB chip is in backwards,  notch towards the LEDS.

Jim

Good eyes Jim. I didn't even notice. I was looking at the label more so than the notch. The Ram chip might not even be off. GME1 chip looks the same as RM1. Could just be the camera angle. SB chip backwards will definitely red light the MPU.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline Phan000

• Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.Phan000 Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 08:38:12 AM »
Spot on Jim.  Turns out the SB was not put in properly and mangled.

I bent it back and reinstalled.  Machine loads properly now, but still showing power issues.  Struggles for power and resets.

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 02:07:08 PM »
It definitely seems like a power issue. Intermittent lights on board, cycles on and off repeatedly.

The bill validator is having problems as well.  Turns on, but maybe not seeing cash box?

https://youtu.be/6Csf-kbYJ2w

Offline jakah440

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • jakah440 New User barely matters.jakah440 New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 04:21:33 PM »
Looks like one of the pins is broke off as well on the SB chip. Can't tell if that is corrosion on the diodes from where the Varta battery was once too.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 384
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 04:35:42 PM »
Check the +13 and +25VDC outputs from the power supply, but from the video I think you problem is a bad MPU board caused by varta battery corrosion.  The flashing VFD and door open/closed errors give that away.  Try a different MPU board.

Offline Phan000

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 06:44:42 PM »
Ok,  I don’t have an extra board to test unfortunately.  How do I test the power on the existing psu? 

The previous owner bought this machine from an Ohio dealer 10 years ago, and the battery was already removed at that time.

Seems like the corrosion would have been an issue some
time ago?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 06:39:09 AM by Phan000 »

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 06:49:56 AM »
Its easy to test the power supply for output voltage,  using a meter, and set up to measure DC voltage. locate the power connector on the motherboard, bottom connector on the right side, only has solid orange  and solid red wires, with their associated grounds black with orange stripe and black with red strips, and the start up wire which is solid black.

solid red wire is 13vdc
solid orange is 25vdc
solid black is usually around 6-8 vdc

use any metal part for your meter ground  (black lead on your meter)
with the red lead on your meter put the probe into the open part where the wire in inserted into the to molex housing , you should get a reading on your meter.

check each of the two wires, then find the solid black wire, ( its up on the top of the connector second pin over) from memory?
this is the start up voltage.

if all the voltages are what was stated, then I would guess your supply is good?

hope this helps

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 08:14:49 AM »
He may have removed the battery, but didn't adequately clean the board up afterwards.  If you don't get it cleaned up well it will continue to corrode the board even with the battery removed.  The corrosion on the two diodes in the picture tells you everything you need to know.

Offline sg 777

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • sg 777 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2022, 11:26:42 AM »
Ever get this solved? Going through a similar situation on mine

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 85
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
  • Power Supply and other electronics repair and help
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2022, 11:50:23 AM »
sg777 - start a new post with your problems and pictures and we can help you get it going. This post may have mpu corrosion issue and power supply problem. Best to start new with your machine for clarity and get you the best results.
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline Retro tech repair

• Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 12:01:44 PM »
It definitely seems like a power issue. Intermittent lights on board, cycles on and off repeatedly.

The bill validator is having problems as well.  Turns on, but maybe not seeing cash box?

https://youtu.be/6Csf-kbYJ2w

U79 is sending too much voltage into the door optics. U79 should always be removed if leaving the varta off the board.

Offline dailey

• Reputation Power: 53
  • dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2022, 04:55:51 PM »
Phan000,

A word of advice. Get yourself a good chip puller and you won't have to worry about bending pins. I have seen a lot of people that can pry a chip out with a screwdriver without any problem, but I'm not one of them. I just kept bending pins, and then I would have to straighten them. Bend a pin a few times and it will break off.

I found this tool at a local electronic supply center and it works great.  It wasn't expensive either.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2022, 05:01:57 PM »
 :agreepost: :I_agree_1:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal