New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Converted E-machine. Can't find info.  (Read 1053 times)

Offline BigWick

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • BigWick New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Converted E-machine. Can't find info.
« on: January 17, 2022, 05:58:41 PM »
This was an impulse buy with two photos and what I expected to be a neglected E-series machine and a leaked battery is some sort of jacked-up frankenstein conversion.

One line, five coin, three reel optomechanical with no rear plugs on the reels and a big honkin' thing on the front with a counter. The door harness seems pretty normal with the basic three digit electronic counter display, a disabled coin-in solenoid and a lamp delete above the Tilt. Interior harness is different from any Bally I've seen with no bell and a speaker in the top box along with an extra regulated power supply. Lastly it isn't a Bally MPU but some single board thing from Hill Tool Co Inc that calls itself the Model 1000.
Oh, and the vault and door look to of been sliced down the side and expanded two inches or so to fit the cabinet. Not sure what is going on there.

Cleaned up and tested the wiring and quickly cleaned the CPU before powering it up. Speaker chirped mostly garbage so it needs more work but I can find absolutely nothing about this conversion and it's not like any Summit I've ever seen.

Offline rta76

• Reputation Power: 1
  • rta76 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: Converted E-machine. Can't find info.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 02:50:08 PM »
   I was looking through to try and find some answers on the machine that I had picked up and noticed that our machines have the same MPU board from Hill, model 1000. I have also had no luck finding out anything on my non working machine. The eproms on my board has a couple of stickers dating from 1983 so not sure what that means. My power supply looks pretty dated. My post is from rta76 under the (Reel slots other Reel Games)  section. My machine looks like it came from some kind of a tournament? I will keep looking, take care.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 03:09:44 PM by rta76 »

Offline BigWick

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 06:37:08 PM »
If a mod wants to move this to Other Reel Games they can. It was clearly a Bally at one point but not anymore.

Went through the whole machine. Reclad the cabinet, cleaned the inside and polished the chrome which is still pretty badly pitted. Was able to get a replacement coin head but the coin tray and door lock is missing. Need to check the bulbs but so far two sockets are broken and another two are loose. Voltages all seem good however.

It's got a pretty jank fluorescent light added under the belly display. There's already two lights under there so I dunno, there should be a black light in there?

Has one power supply in the back corner that delivers 5V for the CPU and some of the lamps. Tests good.

Reels needed a cleaning and the rubber plunger was still in the tube. Pulled that out and packed it with grease. Spins and stops fine now.

The CPU is still being unhappy. Sometimes it beeps. Sometimes a payline turns on but it doesn't respond to coin-in or spins. Poked around and the 5mhz crystal came off so that might be part of the problem. Both EEPROM's are fighting to cleanly dump. Even with cleaned legs both my programmers can't get consistent dumps. I got nothing to compare with and aside from rta76 and this thread - http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=33124.msg175485#msg175485 I'm not finding much else on this.

Did also sit down and reverse engineered the CPU board. Very simple design. Aside form the EPROMs it's all easy to get parts.

(you might have to right-click and open that in a new tab to see it better)

Offline BigWick

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 07:46:08 PM »
It cleaned up pretty good.  :cool_thumb_up:

Minor wiring issues. While doing additional testing I lost all but one of my voltages. Both 35v 5A fuses had opened but no shorts were found. Then I noticed that I have a 24V with a bypassed fuse, so I replaced that with a new fuse holder and now I need new fuses for all the low voltage rails except 5V.

Offline BigWick

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 11:24:40 PM »
Replaced the fuses, found the 5mhz crystal on the CPU was bad and it came alive once that was swapped out.  :dancing_2:

So now I have a dilemma. It' taking coins, it's playing games, it's not throwing tilts and it seems to be working reliably but the EPROMs are so rough I cannot make copies that work. Every dump is generating either weird checksums or are mostly empty. Put the chips in a socket and it's still not wanting to cleanly dump.
Also more broken lamp sockets. This thing has so many broken lamp sockets.

Offline BigWick

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 08:51:19 AM »
Just an update that I was able to successfully dump both EPROMs after some fighting with a slightly higher Vcc and a lot of pin cleaning. The machine is now 100% functional and I have backup copies of the EPROMs.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal