NLG Users Repair Logs and Other Ramblings. Request your very own topic. Just ask any site staff. > Buzz's General Insanity. Enter at your own Risk !!!

Just BS

<< < (2/7) > >>

Buzz:

--- Quote from: TheAirBalancer on April 21, 2014, 07:51:13 PM ---I know some people here that routinely pull out a monitor (LCD or CRT) with the power ON and they chuckled when I questioned it, despite the warning stickers. I still don't have the guts to try it.  :o 

--- End quote ---

Travis True story, a couple of years ago on my way back from Boise I stopped by Ceronix to buy a 19" LCD for a Game King, now understand Ceronix are like Burger King, they don't make it until you order it. So the only monitor they had was in a test slot machine, I didn't care so I bought it. The shop forman who has worked there for years opened the door and pulled the monitor out without turning off the power. Well I had to ask and he told me for years they had been removing monitors with out turning the power off. If it's good enough for Ceronix it's good enough for me.

After I started this reply I got to thinking. When they made new monitors, there is a assembly line going around the shop and a different person installs a different part. When the monitor is complete and just before it goes through a hole in the wall to the shipping dock this same forman plugs power to it and does some test ( this is done to every monitor ) when hes done with his test he pulls the plug and hooks up to the next one, so I guess you could say every monitor coming out of Ceronix has been removed from the power without turning off the power.

jay:
I would never consider myself an electronics guru.... unless of course you use the wikpedia definition of GURU as "Good Understanding, relatively useless". My grade 10 electronics teacher was very clear. Electronics work on smoke. When the smoke is released the electronics no longer work.
Here is my 2c for anyone that wants to listen.....
Typically components within a monitor receive DC power from a regulated power supply contained within the monitor. When you pull the monitor, you are pulling the AC feed to the regulated power supply. Other than a potential AC arc at the plug as it is removed, there is technically no difference than if you had turned off the power switch which cuts the AC feed to the regulated power supply.
Pulling or inserting a MPU board from a S+ with the power on - could potentially carry greater risk to the components as you have an exposed edge card with multiple traces. If you were to pull at a slight angle you could "potentially" short one of the traces against another and if one trace was a data line and the other a power feed you could easily send 12v where it is not intended to go subsequently frying components. 97 times out of a 100 you pull straight up or push straight down and nothing will go wrong. Its those other 3 times when your just not paying enough attention.
Some components are highly static sensitive and just touching the board could cause a small electric zap. In which case having the power on increases the possibility of an electrical arc forming as the board is removed or inserted. Grounding oneself with a static strap to ground is always good practice to minimize this risk.
The real risk is working inside a metal cabinet with the power on. Presumeably you have opened the door because something has stopped working. You don't know what. You put your hand inside and get a good AC zap from something else that has shorted. If you have a weak heart this could prove fatal vs simply hair raising. Even if nothing is wrong. You bump your hand against the wrong thing and zap.

TheAirBalancer:
All of this makes sense about monitors guys, especially your story about Ceronix Buzz..... but I'm still turning off my power!  :rotfl:

cowboygames:
You plug and unplug monitors all day long with the power on and probably not damage them. The critical equipment, like IO cards, needs the power shut off. It's not like it will kill it automatically if you plug a card in with the power on, it's that you raise the odds significantly by doing so

MoolahDG:
I'm not sure why I chose this thread, but I miss Buzz. There are tons of great members here but Buzz was one of a kind. Funniest guy I never met!  :24: :rotfl:

NLG isn't the same without him, period.

Danny

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442