**Reel Slots** Gaming Machines > Other Reel Games

School me on this Mills Castle Front please

(1/2) > >>

Fiddlehead:
Greetings all,

I've recently come into a pair of Mills slots. I'd like folks' opinion on both. Any info is welcome - authenticity, value, date of manufacture, the works.

They are a 25 cent Castle Front and a 5 Cent Black Cherry.  This post is about the Castle Front.

Found the serial number easily. Appears not to have been restored, except for having the paint stripped. I believe the lock and key have been replaced. The machine works just fine.

Thanks in advance!

shortrackskater:
Does it work - cycle and pay out properly? Post a photo of the key if you can.
Hopefully member 63mini will chime in soon, for both machines.   :yes:

:NLG_WELCOME:

Fiddlehead:
Yes, it works, plays and pays as it should as far as I can tell.  The lock & key are replacements, but I'll take pics and post them.

I've also joined coinopcollectorforum and have a thread over there about these two machines.  There I've learned that this machine has an award card from a Baker Black Beauty, and reel strips from the Automatic Coin Machine Corporation of Springfield Mass. 

I'm debating as to whether to repaint it.  It's obviously been stripped as part of a partial restoration, and I think it needs some color.  I don't know if that would help or hurt the value.

63mini:

--- Quote from: Fiddlehead on November 14, 2022, 06:04:24 AM ---
I'm debating as to whether to repaint it.  It's obviously been stripped as part of a partial restoration, and I think it needs some color.  I don't know if that would help or hurt the value.

--- End quote ---

It does look a bit plain jane without the paint.  If you plan to redo the mech and cabinet, it's a given to re-paint the castings.  If you do, I suggest the "One Shot" sign paint brand for those.  Remember, it's only paint and you can change or remove it down the road.

shortrackskater:
I watch Antiques Roadshow and items like furniture or artwork (other than paintings) are far more valuable with the original "patina." I'm a coin collector and know to never clean coins.
But with antique slots, and yours being stripped of most it's paint, it's much better to add it back.  :yes:
I have a 1947 Black Cherry but the original paint is decent, so I'm leaving it as is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
Go to full version