**Reel Slots** Gaming Machines > Other Reel Games

Mills Futurity key lost. Now what?

(1/3) > >>

Bruce G:
Hey everyone, I have a Mills Futurity slot that's locked and the key is lost.  I explained to the owner that the original keys are a "sidewinder" type and not easily replaced.  I found what I believe is either the Serial number or maybe date code stamped on the case, and another different number stamped on the steel banding at the rear of the case.  I have no idea if keys for this model were standardized or each uniquely keyed.  Have not contacted any local locksmiths to see if anyone is willing to try picking the lock.  I don't want to drill the original lock.  Any guidance is greatly appreciated

shortrackskater:
Hello
One of our more knowledgable members should reply soon here!

In the meantime, you can try posting this on coinopcollectorforum.com - they're more tailored to antique slots.
Also you can contact Dave Berten through eBay. He had some major health issues but I believe everything's resolved now, I hope. https://www.ebay.com/str/thunderfivefive

That IS a "pickable" lock. Not easy, but possible.  I have a Vest Pocket lock with no key and I'm eventually going back to Youtube because there's a video showing that style lock - I just need to find it, and find the time!  :rotfl:

Bruce G:
Thank you for your reply!  I'll give those suggestions a try. 

63mini:
Bruce G,

Very nice machine (a keeper at that!)  Does, it have the upper dial and does it work?

As for the key...  It's next to impossible to find a matching replacement.  The serial number means nothing when it comes to the locks.  There are a few options.

1. The obvious is to locate the original key.  You may show the previous owner a photo of a mills key to help locate it.
 2. Find a locksmith that can pick this type of lock.  They are not easily picked.
 3. Drill it. Which you really don't want to do.  Some have used a screwdriver and twisted the lock breaking the internal pins.  Either of these options trash the lock.
 4. I have heard of people laying the machine down and drilling out the carriage bolt heads that secure the wooden base to the bottom of the cabinet.  Then you just need to replace the long carriage bolts.

Once you get it open you can have it re-keyed with a non-matching key.  There is a YouTube video to show how to do that.  Or, you can by a replacement lock with either matching or non-matching keys as the do come up on eBay.

Bruce G:
Thank you for the ideas - I like the carriage bolt solution and will look into that one.  I HATE ruining old locks, ans will do my best to get this open without resorting to destructive measures.  I have indeed sent a photo of a sidewinder Duo key to the owner, and she is searching for the key.  Fingers crossed.  The machine has been jammed since 1978, so waiting a bit longer to see if she can find the key is not such a big deal.  The futurity dial has been replaced by a mirror, as I have seen done on other machines.  I'm anticipating that I will find all of that feature missing from the machine. 

Bruce   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
Go to full version