**Reel Slots** Gaming Machines > WMS Reel Games

WMS 400 Dotmation Power Supply Issue

(1/2) > >>

zach117100:
I recently acquired a couple machines, one being a WMS 400 X-Factor machine. These are my first ever machines.

The WMS 400 would power on, reels spin, cash handler would init, and then front panel would display " dot FAIL ". This led me to inspecting the dotmation power supply and control board up top.
I noticed a blown fuse on the upper power supply, labeled as a F4A 250V. I ordered these fuses and replaced it and attempted to power it on. Now the machine seemingly doesn't power on at all.
The mbu board displays only the 1st and 5th red LED light ON.

I've disconnected the upper power supply entirely and the machine still does not fully power on anymore and the mbu board displays the same 1st and 5th LED lights ON.

This machine sat for a while before I acquired it, and I've been reading up on a lot of these PSUs just dying and needing replacement. Is this analysis indicative of a now bad lower psu? I figured that since the upper power supply is operable again, perhaps the full load was just too much for the old lower power supply and it just killed it?

No smoke, no burning smell, and no failed components from what I can see without removing the lower PS and opening it up.

Any guidance here would be very appreciated. Will attach some photos for reference.

Thank you!

zach117100:
Images

Sunrise Side:
Most likely both upper and lower original power supplies have failed. Check in the bottom of the cabinet back right side behind the hopper and see if it has an ATX power supply in there. If there is one in there it's the conversion used to replace the original upper and lower power supply. If it's in there it most likely has failed and needs replaced. If there is not an ATX computer supply in there, you will most likely want to do the ATX computer power supply conversion.   As the original power supply boards are not available.   https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=28829.0  Also the power distribution board has some caps and fuses that can fail. The power distribution board is inside where the lower power supply is located.

zach117100:
Thank you for this, Sunrise. I appreciate it a bunch! I'll explore this method and will let you know in a few weeks what the results are.

Thank you again!

zach117100:
Hello again,

I had a question about the instructions provided in https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=28828.0

In the section where it mentions:

"Using a soldering iron splice in two new red wires (Moderator's clarification: gang all of the red wires together) to the existing Wms harness' ...."

Does ""gang all of the red wires together""  mean to solder all of the red wires together?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
Go to full version